Very Mature Horse Manure

• Thread starter ESpringerS
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ESpringerS

ESpringerS

Hi guys i have just recently decided to go Organic and on searching the net i found this wonderfull site.
Soooo much info and all good. And soooo little time, Oh well lots of reading to do now then.

I live near a farmers house and he has a field with about six horses, at the bottom of the field is a gate.
And through that gate he throws the horse manure, and it's piling up.

The pile is about 3 ft high @ the highest point, and 12 ft x 15 ft maybe.

Now this must be good surely ? But what would be my best move with this pile.

What would the Farmers here do ? I would love to know what ya all think.

Cheers
ESpringerS

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If you want to use it as is, then use very little or it will burn. Otherwise, composting is key. Do you smell ammonia?

All this manure came from very mature horses, eh? If that's the case, then unless their owner has kept up with good dental practices expect a lot of whole seed to get through the digestive tract.

Surely, it is good. Very good.

ESpringerS

ESpringerS

I was thinking more The Manure is Very Mature, as it has been there doing it's own little thing for what must be many years now.

There are some nice young fillies in that field, no doubt a couple of older ones too. I've never seen him feeding anything but hay and they have 3 fields altogether to graze on.
I know they are well looked after for sure.

There is no smell of amonia, it's very wet as it has been raining here for a while.
Nice and spongy if you stand on it, like a peat bog. Any seeds that got through the digestive system will surely be gone by now.

Will post some pictures of the pile later on.

I am setting up 2 rotating composters later this year, i have things to sort out first. Such is life.
So intend finding out as much as i can in preperation first. So hopefully less mistakes later. :)
This Forum looking like my best option for good info.

I got plenty of reading to do i know, so if anyone has some links to essential reading on this Forum i would be much obliged. I intend going as Organic as possible eventually, with as many Free options, home made or Locally sourced.

Things like Nettle and Comfrey Liquid fertiliser, I'm surrounded by Nettle round here.
And Comfrey too, not sure which variety tho. Does it need to be Russian Comfrey or is it just the best or most common ?

Anyway happy times ahead, look forward to hearing from you guys in the future.

Thanks and may Peace be with you always.

C

CBGB

Hay man great couple posts. Their area few things to think about when using manure. One being how much sodium did they consume. Lots of animal feeds are packed full of it and in result so is their poop. It sounds like they would have no need but its always better to check. Both by asking the farmer exactly what the horses are fed, and by doing a soil sample to see what's exactly inside. Sourcing high quality compost ia huge when attempting to go all organic. I highly suggest getting a larger than you think you need worm farm going. Their is lots of easy DIY info on worm farming. Makes it cheep they want a fortune for the bins. I use 2 plant warrior air pruning pots stacked on top of each other. Sitting in a run off tray. I also use large Rubbermaid tubs stacked on top each other. But you definitely want someone to help moving them around they will be heavy.

Stinging nettle is great I top dress/mulch with it it makes excellent FPE though I prefer using plant specific. Dried its great to add to the mix at a 1/4-1/2c per cubic foot. The roots are also great to use. They supply p/k.

Russian comfrey is the best. But they are all biodynamic acclimators. Which means they store all nutrients they consume from the soil in their leaves. I love topdressing/mulching with them.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I honestly don't believe it matters which knit-bone you use. The Bocking 14 was devised to prevent its invasive tendencies, IIRC. If you've got it growing around you, use it, is what I say. I don't have things like nettle or comfrey growing around me, I have thistles, oxalis spp, woolly mullein, so I use those instead.

I'm going to assume that the horses have access to salt licks and so can choose how much salt & minerals they consume. Either way, the manure will have to be composted before using, or use very little at a time. If they're pastured then I'm going to guess that their manure is actually better quality than a stabled horse.

C

CBGB

Damn bro thistles. You better have some heavy duty gloves. I ferment the flowers but would never try the leaves. F that bro you got balls.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I really only use the milk thistle. The bull thistle has been officially renamed motherfucker thistle because its thorns are worse than many cacti I have personal experience with. That shit's a motherFUCKER! Even goes through leather. I don't use the yellow star thistle, but maybe I should since it's all around.

And yes, I do have balls. Thank you. I'll also grab rattlesnakes and moray eels. :D

ESpringerS

ESpringerS

As promised some nice pictures of poo
SAM 0525

Below it is, 12 paces left to right & 15 front to back. By the way i am a short arse. 5' 7''. 3-4 Ft high
SAM 0524

SAM 0526

A couple of years ago the Farmer used to muck spread his fields, unfortunattely he has stopped that and now chucks petro fertilisers on his fields. So i have to make sure anything i pick is well away from his fields.
But this pile is out of the way of that, so it should be safe. And should last awhile. :)

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
You can't see any apples in that, I'd say it is VERY well composted. I see some stuff growing out of it, so that's good, too.

Your short arse is a half a foot taller than my short arse. D'oh!

Top Bottom