Very Slow Growth In Coco, Help! Everything Else Is Fine!

• Thread starter Thomburger
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Thomburger

Thomburger

Hello guys, I've got some very slow growth in my coco. I'm about to start week 4 from seed (day 27 to be exact) and they look extremely healthy and I've encountered no problems except my VPD wasn't in check when I started. That's since changed but I'm still getting some very slow growth. Everything seems to be good...

Sour Pez by La Plata Labs
Canna coco 100% mix (no perlite)
pH = 5.5-5.8
Temp = 78
Rhythm = 45%
Using a 240 CFM extraction fan
Watering 2x / day @ 1.6 EC till 20% runoff
24/0 light schedule Mars 300
1ml of cal/mag
Canna A & B
2.5 ml of silica

I'm leaning towards thinking they are growing slow because they're still in red solo cups, but I was wanting to roll with them in solo cups until I could sex them which I figured would be around now (4 weeks in). Either that or my light isn't strong enough but I've used Mars 300's to veg before and came out with a massive 5x5 tree that only took 2 months to veg.

So thinking of throwing a couple in their 2 gallon homes and seeing if that will solve my problem but was wondering if any of the kind folk here had anything to add?

Thanks everyone!

PS: attached are a couple root shots, a top shot, and a pic of my 2 month veg I was talking about for comparison...

Very slow growth in coco help everything else is fine

Very slow growth in coco help everything else is fine 2

Very slow growth in coco help everything else is fine 3

Very slow growth in coco help everything else is fine 4

Last edited:
MGG Nubie

MGG Nubie

Hello guys, I've got some very slow growth in my coco. I'm about to start week 4 from seed (day 27 to be exact) and they look extremely healthy and I've encountered no problems except my VPD wasn't in check when I started. That's since changed but I'm still getting some very slow growth. Everything seems to be good...

pH = 5.5-5.8
Temp = 78
Rhythm = 45%
1ml of cal/mag
Canna A & B
2.5 ml of silica

I'm leaning towards thinking they are growing slow because they're still in red solo cups, but I was wanting to roll with them in solo cups until I could sex them which I figured would be around now (4 weeks in). Either that or my light isn't strong enough but I've used Mars 300's to veg before and came out with a massive 5x5 tree that only took 2 months to veg.

So thinking of throwing a couple in their 2 gallon homes and seeing if that will solve my problem but was wondering if any of the kind folk here had anything to add?

Thanks everyone!

PS: attached are a couple root shots, a top shot, and a pic of my 2 month veg I was talking about for comparison...

View attachment 760413

View attachment 760414

View attachment 760415

View attachment 760416
They look good for end of week 3. Get them out of the solos and into their new home. At least a gallon until they sex.

Thomburger

Thomburger

They look good for end of week 3. Get them out of the solos and into their new home. At least a gallon until they sex.

Thanks mate for the response! They do look really healthy and aren't showing any problems except some crooked leaves on one which was from a fluctuation in pH, but they're only 6 nodes high. As you can see in my last pic there the plant before this was HUGE at 2 months. I'm gonna transplant them tonight and hopefully in a few days have some bigger growth. I just need them to be tall to fill out this screen! But with all that being said it's actually the end of week 4 :(

MGG Nubie

MGG Nubie

Thanks mate for the response! They do look really healthy and aren't showing any problems except some crooked leaves on one which was from a fluctuation in pH, but they're only 6 nodes high. As you can see in my last pic there the plant before this was HUGE at 2 months. I'm gonna transplant them tonight and hopefully in a few days have some bigger growth. I just need them to be tall to fill out this screen! But with all that being said it's actually the end of week 4 :(
From seeing the last pic it seems you got the grow down. No side pics, look squat. Going to be a provider. I'm at 2 weeks from seed popping. Got 4 doing good and 4 wtf. Pulled the roots on one of the ghosts and the bitch is alive. Hit bottom on the solo and was doing the swirl. They're donation seeds. No genetics. The indies are strong at 14 days. The others???? What you think? They all spouted in tissue at the same time and were put in solo.
IMG 20171126 165831849

NotaRasta

NotaRasta

Maybe a transplant is all that is needed. I dont run my ph lower than 5.9 i try to stay between 5.9-6.1 seems to give me the best growth. Also once my seeds pop i put them in the container i plan on flowering in and that seems to be working out for me. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck

Thomburger

Thomburger

From seeing the last pic it seems you got the grow down. No side pics, look squat. Going to be a provider. I'm at 2 weeks from seed popping. Got 4 doing good and 4 wtf. Pulled the roots on one of the ghosts and the bitch is alive. Hit bottom on the solo and was doing the swirl. They're donation seeds. No genetics. The indies are strong at 14 days. The others???? What you think? They all spouted in tissue at the same time and were put in solo.View attachment 760442

The bottom four look healthy for sure but the top four are not so much. Maybe their root systems aren't as developed as the others and you are overwatering? How much are you feeding them and how often? Do you have a meter or liquid for ph? Do you have a cal mag supplement if feeding with RO water? What is your EC and how long are you waiting in between feedings?

Thomburger

Thomburger

Maybe a transplant is all that is needed. I dont run my ph lower than 5.9 i try to stay between 5.9-6.1 seems to give me the best growth. Also once my seeds pop i put them in the container i plan on flowering in and that seems to be working out for me. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck

Thanks for the response bro. That's what I'm thinking as well. I've never grown from seed so I figured I'd fill out these solo cups and go from there. But from that root pic they look pretty full! That was also 4-5 days ago when I snapped that. I did top 4 days ago and was waiting for them to get over the stress of that (something I forgot to mention) before I transplanted. The leaves have come in but they're nowhere near full, thinking it'll be alright to throw them into their 2 gal homes tonight and now that you say it i think the ph was a little higher last time around...

NotaRasta

NotaRasta

pH = 5.5-5.8
Temp = 78
Rhythm = 45%
1ml of cal/mag
Canna A & B
2.5 ml of silica

Thanks everyone!

View attachment 760413

View attachment 760414

View attachment 760415

View attachment 760416

You probably dont need to feed 2x/day yet

NotaRasta

NotaRasta

Thanks for the response bro. That's what I'm thinking as well. I've never grown from seed so I figured I'd fill out these solo cups and go from there. But from that root pic they look pretty full! That was also 4-5 days ago when I snapped that. I did top 4 days ago and was waiting for them to get over the stress of that (something I forgot to mention) before I transplanted. The leaves have come in but they're nowhere near full, thinking it'll be alright to throw them into their 2 gal homes tonight and now that you say it i think the ph was a little higher last time around...
I know when i topped my plants they didnt grow for about a week

Thomburger

Thomburger

I know when i topped my plants they didnt grow for about a week

Didnt even show life or didn't get to where you wanted them? Cause mine started showing where they'd split with tiny little leaves about 3 days after. I figured that was a good sign that they were growing fast and healthy and held off this post. The lower branches have actually caught up to the topped mainstem and created another split, which will all be nice if I could just find out which ones were males and females

Need some height to start taking cuttings as well... Don't have anywhere to cut.

What kind of light do you use mate? Was thinking about flipping on an old 1k ballast and light to 50% instead of this LED. Youtube said the PAR isn't ideal.

NotaRasta

NotaRasta

During veg i use 2 t5's 4ft 8tube. For bloom i have 2 1000watt hps. I run them 750watts though. Really just depends on the plant and how they respond to stress. The ones i have in veg now were topped already and bounced back after a few days like yours did

MGG Nubie

MGG Nubie

The bottom four look healthy for sure but the top four are not so much. Maybe their root systems aren't as developed as the others and you are overwatering? How much are you feeding them and how often? Do you have a meter or liquid for ph? Do you have a cal mag supplement if feeding with RO water? What is your EC and how long are you waiting in between feedings?
Yeah, I have to ph. I'm a voodoo grower. Taught by Grandma. I keep soil ph pretty tight. All water is Kroger. 6+ never over 7. No teas added yet. If I was to have put too much pearlite in the 4 no grows, to much air? It was two batches making the 8 cups. But they have some nice root growth. Pulled on of the indies and not a lot of difference in root stucture but more coco stalk. Fuck it. Whats one more week to see what the hookers do. Just hate loosing them young. First time.

brazel

brazel

Do you grow scrog? Use a net in flower
How much you pull from your 2 month veg plant? Dry weight
What light did you use?
Cheers

C

closetgrow69

Make sure to give them a day or two or three to dry out a little in the new pots after an initial thorough watering to run off. Don’t want it to go BONE dry. But dry coco weighs less than dry soil. I usually start off watering every few days in new containers with CoCo. As the plant grows- water more often as it drinks more water. Letting it dry out SIGHLY after a fresh transplant really helps the roots go “searching” for the water. Your plant isn’t really THAT root bound for CoCo.

I water seedlings every 2-3days until they’re about 8-12 inches tall. Then they’re ready for something bigger. Mine in solo cups that size get fed about 1x a day until 30% runoff. Are you getting enough runoff/do you do any flushing? I let the top layer of my coco dry out about 1 knuckle deep before giving more nutes in new containers.

I’m sure growth will take off after the transplant. One tip - I use the same CoCo and nutes as you, except I add Rhizotonic. I swear that shit makes the root development go crazy! Especially in young plants.

How strong of A+B are you feeding?

Best of luck! Keep us updated and the pics coming! Those are some nice squatty hoes you got there

These plants get about 16-20oz water/nutes every 36 hours give or take. They’ve outgrown their small chamber haha

Thomburger

Thomburger

Any help here would be appreciated guys I found an insect did a complete inspection could only find the one... here's what it looks like. Couldn't get a pic w the microscope the bugger was quick after I got it out of the coco

Never had a problem w insects before kind of worried let me know what you guys think plz and thank you

IMG 1222

IMG 1223

C

closetgrow69

Hmm. IF it is a Cannabis related bug it has to be either an aphid, or a mealy big. IF being the operating word. Maybe someone else with more experience can chime in. I’ve only dealt with Thrips myself. You can rule those out. Yours looks like a tick to me lol

I’ve treated with Neem, Azamax, and SNS 203. I can speak for the azamax working very well for Thrips. It’s awesome. I hate the smell of neem too. And you’ve got to warm it up and use a wetting agent with neem. IPM is relatively new to me

Thomburger

Thomburger

Hmm. IF it is a Cannabis related bug it has to be either an aphid, or a mealy big. IF being the operating word. Maybe someone else with more experience can chime in. I’ve only dealt with Thrips myself. You can rule those out. Yours looks like a tick to me lol

I’ve treated with Neem, Azamax, and SNS 203. I can speak for the azamax working very well for Thrips. It’s awesome. I hate the smell of neem too. And you’ve got to warm it up and use a wetting agent with neem. IPM is relatively new to me

Thanks for your input mate. Started a whole other thread about what it could be and I found another today. I’m really hoping it’s a predatory mite, from my understanding it’s not a broad mite or russet mite because it was too big. I also think if it was aphids there would be an infestation instead of the single one every day, right? I bought a pack of cigarettes to chill myself and make a nicotine tea, so I have that as a back up if need be. But I decided to hold off until I either get a better picture, or until they show signs of one pest damage or another.

Idk shit about this and learning as I grow. Figured I’d use this as an excuse to clean the room, though!

Thanks again man

Top Bottom