Vets for Vets co-op in SoCal. Interested?

• Thread starter 420Meds4Vets
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

420Meds4Vets

As a disabled vet; I know how the VA system is so I was thinking about starting a true shared co-op (not a public dispensary) catering to vets. It would be members only and participation would be be dependent on ability and need.

Nothing is set in stone yet, I'm just trying to gauge interest. I can't be the only vet that would be interested in such a thing. Hanging out with my brothers and sisters, getting healthy, backing each other up. ;)

Questions or suggestions welcome...

fractal

fractal

That's a good idea. It'e been something I want to do for a while. When I get back to growing and am able to produce enough I want to start a service that only caters to veterans, giving them a good price on quality meds and providing support for them from someone who truly appreciates what they have given to this country.

HighDesertMMJ

HighDesertMMJ

Also an interested vet, 2 of us are disabled vets of the current war on terror, one from the Vietnam Conflict.

420Meds4Vets

Sorry, I don't login much.

As an update, the VA who currently provides my pain management (and non MMJ meds) did a tox screen on me and now they refuse to refill my morphine prescription until I pass the next test. I didn't even know the VA could do a drug screen on patients without cause or permission but I guess the pain management contract that they require allows it.

We'll have to arrange some kind of meet-up for a lunch someplace to discuss options. I'm in the South LA/North Orange county area...

EDIT: I don't see a PM option? I'll try to login more often and check for interested people...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Wait a minute, the VA is now allowing vets in MMJ states to use without being denied their pain meds. WHAT THE FUCK???? I swear I thought someone posted a thread on that here, too. You're in California, I assume you have a recommendation, that means by their own policy they're not supposed to do that, IIRC.

420Meds4Vets

Wrong, the VA is ran by the feds and the policy is anti-MMJ even in California for vets with a valid rec. Unfortuantely.

420Meds4Vets

a. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) providers must comply with all Federal laws, including the Controlled Substances Act. Marijuana is classified as a Schedule I drug under the Controlled Substances Act.
b. Veterans who receive their care from VA and who have a desire to participate in one of several State marijuana programs might ask their VA physicians to complete State authorization forms.
c. State laws authorizing the use of Schedule I drugs, such as marijuana, even when characterized as medicine, are contrary to Federal law. The Controlled Substances Act (Title 21 United States Code (U.S.C.) 801 et al.) designates Schedule I drugs as having no currently-accepted medical use and there are criminal penalties associated with production, distribution, and possession of these drugs. State law has no standing on Federal properties.
d. VHA policy does not administratively prohibit Veterans who participate in State marijuana programs from also participating in VHA substance abuse programs, pain control programs, or other clinical programs where the use of marijuana may be considered inconsistent with treatment goals. While patients participating in State marijuana programs must not be denied VHA services, the decisions to modify treatment plans in those situations need to be made by individual providers in partnership with their patients. VHA endorses a step-care model for the treatment of patients with chronic pain: any prescription(s) for chronic pain needs be managed under the auspices of such programs described in current VHA policy regarding Pain Management.

"3. POLICY: It is VHA policy to prohibit VA providers from completing forms seeking recommendations or opinions regarding a Veteran’s participation in a State marijuana program."

420Meds4Vets

a and c are two of the key anti-MMJ parts but d also has a way for them to stick it to vets: "While patients participating in State marijuana programs must not be denied VHA services, the decisions to modify treatment plans in those situations need to be made by individual providers in partnership with their patients."

Which means the doctor (individual provider) has final say in denying VA pain meds (morphine in my case) if they find MMJ as part of the "Pain Management Contract" that they require. :(

WarDogOG

WarDogOG

That really sucks man. I would try to find a new provider in the VA system if you have the resources and time. Fortunately they haven't tried to take away my sleep meds because of my recommendation.

420Meds4Vets

http://www.veteransformedicalmarijuana.org/content/pain-contracts-cooperation-or-coercion

"Pain Contracts: "Cooperation" or Coercion?
"Pain contracts" are signed agreements between a patient and a doctor specifying the terms and conditions under which the doctor agrees to treat a patient's chronic pain with opioid medications. These contracts typically include provisions which require patients to comply with the doctor's treatment recommendations, submit to random drug screening, refrain from the use of alcohol or illegal drugs, and keep their appointments. These contracts also usually specify that a patient may be discharged from the doctor's care or denied further treatment for any violation of the agreement. Though they sometimes go by different names, such as “pain management contracts,” “narcotic contracts,” “opioid contracts,” etc., they are generally known as “pain contracts” and thus imply a legally-binding, contractual relationship between the doctor and patient. They are used almost exclusively for opioid medications. For a typical example of a pain contract, click here (pdf download).
Pain Contracts are another result of the DEA's war on pain patients and their doctors. Doctors use pain contracts to cover their rear; as proof to the DEA and other law enforcement agencies that they are properly supervising those patients who get opiates. An additional benefit to doctors is that they serve to dissuade patients from filing lawsuits who have been discharged for failing to follow the rules. They treat pain patients as suspects in advance. But are these contracts really legally binding? Definitely not.
These “contracts” are not legitimate, legally-binding contracts. They are essentially one-sided demands from your doctor, signed under duress, which treat you as a suspect in advance, rob you of your privacy and your right to be an active participant in your own health care and your rights to accept or refuse treatments, and allow the physician to renege on his moral and ethical duty to treat you with a pseudo-legal agreement that you signed with the moral equivalent of a gun pointed at your head.
To understand the nature of the gun pointed at your head, you have to understand the concept of “duress.” Under contract law in most states and common law countries, a contract is unenforceable if it is signed under duress. As an example, if someone says you must sign this contract or I'll kill you, that is clearly duress, and that contract will usually be unenforceable. Similarly, when a doctor says you will sign this contract and abide by its terms or I will withhold medication from you (essentially sentencing you to torture until you can find another doctor) that is also very clearly duress. Add to that the danger of being medically blacklisted for violating one of these contracts, or even for refusing to sign one, and it is as if the doctor has a gun pointed at your head. You do not have the option of not signing the contract and still receiving medical care."

We have little choice...

420Meds4Vets

I have switched doctors in the past, one was a foreign quack. I was complaining about neck and back pain and instead of ordering tests, he told me that it was "all in my head" and asked if I wanted a psych eval. :mad:

I think I got him fired.

WarDogOG

WarDogOG

Good. There is definitely an abundance of quacks in the government medical system. I saw them on active duty and now in the VA system. What branch were you were you, 420meds?

Latest posts

Top Bottom