Viability of super soil in storage

• Thread starter 500lbs Guerilla
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
500lbs Guerilla

500lbs Guerilla

I've had 10 cans of super soil in storage for about 4 months now. Should I worry about anaerobic bacterias or pests forming in these cans? I would think I could smell anaerobic bacteria or see anything flying around when I open the cans, but I won't be able to get to them for another couple weeks so I'd like some opinions on what to expect.

Medijuana

Medijuana

Anaerobics will definitely give off awful smells (think poop, swamps, rotting things), so you should be able to smell that. Stir it around with your hands or trowel and take a whiff. It shouldn't be slimy, and should have an earthy or finished compost type smell. Luckily, our sense of smell is especially sensitive to rot and decay, and anaerobic bacteria are largely responsible for those types of smells.

If you're worried, manually stir up the soil and let it rest for about a week in smaller containers so more air can get to it. If you do find that it has gone anaerobic, I personally wouldn't be comfortable using it, but maybe someone else has specific experience with this.

Dr.Infern

Dr.Infern

if it's gone anaerobic you might be able to fix it with a lot of aerated compost tea? they should have high portions of aerobic bacteria and as long as the soil isn't too far gone if you add a strong aerobic bacteria tea in you'll put some competition in against all the anaerobic bacteria. just make sure the environment is more suitable for the aerobic bacteria. i have holes in my supersoil bucket (i only have one) with screens over just to ward against this very thing. i don't think you will completely rejuvinate the soil so if it was really bad smelling and slimy i wouldn't bother because those anaerobic bacteria can leave behind some nasty compounds.

edit: not that i have any experience rejuvinating supersoil in this fashion, purely theoretical at this point

Chobble

Chobble

I've had 10 cans of super soil in storage for about 4 months now. Should I worry about anaerobic bacterias or pests forming in these cans? I would think I could smell anaerobic bacteria or see anything flying around when I open the cans, but I won't be able to get to them for another couple weeks so I'd like some opinions on what to expect.

Infern brings up a good point, You could try to out grow the anaaerobic bacteria but at the point they're truely established its pretty hard to eradicate them.

I let my soil sit around for long periods of time. I always buy 5+ more bags then I need and toss them in a trashcan. I think you should be fine. It generally keeps pretty well and shouldnt be a problem, Especially if its been in the trash cans (Safe from moisture and difficult for bad bugs to get in).

Chobble

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I've got a super soil mix that has been sitting since February. Still smells OK.

outwest

Abek666

Abek666

4 month sonds not very long so you should be ok^^ but the smell test is anyhow a good thing to do before using any type of soil sometimes even packt soils have been infectet with kriters or bad bacteria so when buying stuff smell on it and ask them to open a bag for you befor buying you wont buy a cat in the sack^^

so i whish luck with the container and make holes in it it helps things big time see ya

true grit

true grit

fwiw I left a 32g trash can full of super soil sitting for over a year (inside though), stirred it up a few weeks before using and had great results after a year of sitting and doing nothing to it. lol.

Whippleschnitz

Whippleschnitz

You should have no issues at all. If you notice a sour smell you only need to spread the soil out into a pile and turn it over each day. After a few days it'll be back to nice fresh humus. I've regularly used soils that have sat around for six month without any issues.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
My 3 month old super soil is working like a charm as a top feed.

outwest

kushluvr

kushluvr

the thing u need to worry about is the amendments that have broken down to much.....ie all guanos!

i would put more super soil in the bottom of the pot if its really old!

Top Bottom