Victory for Today's Health Collective in Tuolomne Co. CA

• Thread starter Seamaiden
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The title says it all. I got to meet Sara Herrin, one of the defendants, when we were working with the local county board of supervisors to craft a zoning ordinance for outdoor cannabis cultivation. She's a great woman, very knowledgeable, extremely compassionate and she never should have been targeted as she was. You'll see that the Tuolomne Co. DA still won't give it up, the response from the DA was really pretty bad, in my opinion, and showed little class to be perfectly honest.

http://www.mymotherlode.com/news/local/2075794/Marijuana-Trafficking-Charges-Dismissed.html

Marijuana Trafficking Charges Dismissed

May 01, 2013 03:17 pm
B.J. Hansen, MML News Director
Sonora, CA -- Ending a highly publicized case, marijuana trafficking charges were dropped this morning against the owners of a Tuolumne County pot collective.

The Tuolumne County District Attorney's Office dismissed the charges against Sarah Herrin, Danny Jo Herrin, Jana Evans, and Nancy Smith. Today's Health Collective off Via Este Road was one of three marijuana collectives raided in May of 2011.

District Attorney Michael Knowles has released the following statement:

"This is not a ratification of the conduct of these individuals.

The material seized in 2011 pursuant to search warrants presented strong evidence supporting prosecution. The lack of clarity in the law, and the lack of leadership from state lawmakers, has allowed a piecemeal evolution of ambiguity that has rendered the successful prosecution of this case improbable.

Inconsistencies in opinions from different courts have required a shift in the focus of law enforcement and jury instruction. The cumulative effect of evidence collected in 2011 has been weakened by this development.

The Compassionate Use Act has been and is being abused to the personal gain of individuals. Commercial profiteering is inconsistent with the Compassionate Use of Marijuana and will not be condoned."

When contacted today, both Sara Herrin and Jana Evans were very pleased to hear the news. "I'm ecstatic," says Evans. "We're very happy, and we think that justice was done."

Evans believes that the marijuana, and other items confiscated, will be returned by the county. She says they have no current plans to re-open a collective, but adds they will take an active role in trying to help local government agencies, like the county, draft and adopt ordinances related to medical marijuana use.
This is what I've been talking about when I say that just because you're in California, just because you're doing things the 'right' way, doesn't mean you're safe from prosecution in any way, shape or form. Once again, Pier 5 Law Group wins the day!

EDIT* I don't know what happened to the previously quoted article, I don't just link news stories I include them in the post. Instead, something I wrote myself ends up in a quote...? VERY weird. Reposted.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I cannot believe the Sacramento Bee hasn't reported this yet. I'm going to shoot a message to Peter Hecht asking him to please cover this story.

Latest posts

Top Bottom