Volcano Classic, hook to car battery??

• Thread starter nebulius
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
nebulius

nebulius

I have a Volcano Classic and was wanting to take it on a camping trip. In the past I have hooked it to a generator and that works fine except it's a pain to run each time to vape. The Volcano says it uses 140w 60Hz. I tried running it with a 400w inverter and a 12v car battery with no luck, also tried a deep cycle battery with no luck. Anyone have any success hooking up a Volcano to a battery? If so can you please advise how.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

The inverter in my RV would run the shit out of it but i have 2 deep cycles in series so maybe you need another batt for more juice?I have 2 honda 2000 generators so usually just run inverter power after quiet hours in camp.

squiggly

squiggly

Not enough information.

We need to know the amperage required by the device. What is important to the circuit, ultimately, is the amps supplied (current) and the voltage at which the current is supplied.

squiggly

squiggly

Just looked the thing up and it says it only needs ~1 amp @ 120V which is really really low.

If you do the math from above W = V*A you end up at 120W required @ 120V.

Something like this should work great:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Power-Br...ower-Inverter-XR400-12/202539660#.UcT9EvnVDh4

What's important to realize is that potential difference (voltage) drops as a battery expends its potential energy (stored as chemical energy). This means that the voltage supplied drops which ultimately means your wattage drops.

Are you sure your car battery is charged all the way up? I think this is ultimately the problem you're going to run into.

The person who said a friend used it in a car makes sense, because the alternator in a vehicle would keep the battery constantly recharged which prevents voltage drop. Typically voltage drop is the reason why jumps are required in a car. This is why it especially happens in winter a lot. As temperatures drop the kinetic energy of electrons also drops and this reduces potential difference.

nebulius

nebulius

Thanks for all the replies. I have successfully used it in the RV also but I am wanting to run it straight off a car battery and invertor with no generator. My invertor does work I have used other devices with it and my battery is charged, tried multiple batteries. I heard that devices actually use more energy to power up then goes back down to rated power. Some devices I have I can power on only running generator but then once its started I can turn off generator and run just from invertor and battery.
Will keep playing with it, thanks for suggestions.

Top Bottom