Volts/Amps

• Thread starter ronvmpc
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ronvmpc

ronvmpc

Newb question, I admit, but here we go. From reading threads I've read (pertaining to 1000wt HPS) running the light at 120v takes up 9 amps. 240v takes up 4-4.5 amps. So does that mean I can run 2 lights and only use 8-9 amps. Can't mess with the electrical at my current location so I'm trying to run two lights off a 15 amp breaker.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

Is the voltage 220 or 110?

Sounds as though it's 110. I don't think they make 15amp 220v breakers.

You can safely run 1000 watts on a 15amp 110v breaker, but I wouldn't put anything else on it.

ScuzyRoach

ScuzyRoach

I think you'll be pushing it on a 15amp 110 v breaker running 2 1000w's @ 9.5 amps each. You can try and see, plus its simple and cheap to replace a breaker. I would be seriously stressed of a fire though. You need higher guaged wiring to run the 240v setting. You could replace your 15amp breaker w/ a 20 amp and be fine doing the 2 lights on the 110v plug.

lazarus718

lazarus718

Newb question, I admit, but here we go. From reading threads I've read (pertaining to 1000wt HPS) running the light at 120v takes up 9 amps. 240v takes up 4-4.5 amps. So does that mean I can run 2 lights and only use 8-9 amps. Can't mess with the electrical at my current location so I'm trying to run two lights off a 15 amp breaker.

They make 15A double pole breakers and with these you can run a 240V line for your HPS as long as the ballast will operate on 240. They are the big breakers (the size of a 30A or 50A) and will take up 2 slots in your breaker box. You hook up a "hot" wire to each pole of the breaker and the "neutral" wire of your circuit will attach to the neutral bus bar in your panel. If you are going to do this I would pay the extra $ to purchase either a AFCI or GFCI breaker though (~$50 or so) instead of a standard breaker to keep your grow room safer. And yes, the 240 will save you in electrical costs over the 120 because it does consume power more efficiently (with higher voltage you are able to lower the current needed to transmit the power over a distance...voltage and current are inversely proportional to each other). Hope that helps.

lazarus718

lazarus718

. You need higher guaged wiring to run the 240v setting.

The gauge of wire is a function of the circuit's amperage and the distance the power must be transmitted over. A 15 amp circuit requires 14 gauge wire regardless if it is 120V or 240V. If you have to transmit it a long distance then you should probably go with 12 gauge wire because of the voltage drop. If you are going to be plugging other equipment in besides the lights I would also go with 12 gauge wire on a 15 amp circuit.

ronvmpc

ronvmpc

Lazarus. Thanks for clearing things up. I still got a few more weeks until I have to make my decision so now I can do some educated research. For me it's safety 1st. So with that said I might have to suck it up and run 1 light until I get a new place. Once again, thanks Farmers.

Legion

Legion

Lazarus know's what he's talking about.

But, don't look for huge savings with 240v. While it's is true that power travels better at high voltages you wont see a noticeable difference in your bill. Power is power and we get billed by the kwh. 2000w is still 2000w at the end of the day.

Also, if was me.. 15% under rating is all I'd run. So 18 amps on 20 amp breaker is pushing it at 95% capacity all the time. Can't say it's going to explode or anything but I'd sleep better at night with something else..

Good luck, and do it right and you won't have to worry about it or mess with it again.

Legion

hiboy

hiboy

240v wont save you any monthly charges. It's cheaper to set up for 240v with smaller wire, less breakers, etc. but thats it. Your ok to put two 1000 watts on a two pole 240v 15 amp breaker.

B

Bobby Smith

Hiboy, these are the kinds of electrical questions I can help answer :)

OP, what Lazarus has told you is all you need to know.........

hiboy

hiboy

Hiboy, these are the kinds of electrical questions I can help answer :)

OP, what Lazarus has told you is all you need to know.........

HEY BOBBY
ME too
And no lazarus is incorrect, at least about saving money on monthly dollars.\
BUT THANKS FOR YOU INPUT\\
PEACE

B

Bobby Smith

Oh yeah, didn't see that part - the electricity savings will not be noticeable between the two.

Everything else (that I saw) was correct.

hiboy

hiboy

Oh yeah, didn't see that part - the electricity savings will not be noticeable between the two.

Everything else (that I saw) was correct.

THats awesome BOBBY,\
Glad to know we got some smart people here on the farm,, maybe just a little hi... Hopefully i can continue to help answer questions too. IF i dont know the answer i sure aint gona throw something out there. I might give an
educated guess but i will surely make that known.

lazarus718

lazarus718

240v wont save you any monthly charges. It's cheaper to set up for 240v with smaller wire, less breakers, etc. but thats it. Your ok to put two 1000 watts on a two pole 240v 15 amp breaker.

The 240V will consume power more efficiently and that is all I wanted to make clear. There is absolutely no reason to even have a 120V system in existence and it causes more problems with unbalanced loads than it is worth. If you extrapolated that over a long period of time he would save some in costs, but my only intent was to inform him that IMO the 240V system would be more desirable. If he was going to mess with it and had a ballast that would run off the 240 line than he might as well run one more hot back to the panel and use the more preferred source of the two.

hiboy

hiboy

We can all agree that 240v is the way to go. Isnt that what is mostly in Europe. Damn them Europeans.. always a step ahead:evilgrin0040:

L

Lost

I just want to be sure about something.. Your not going to change the breaker at the box and use your current wiring in the box are you? If so you could burn your house down, not to mention the fact that even to get it to work you would have to use the ground as a power line.

I could have totally missed the wiring part and if so, nevermind! :)

L

Lost

They make 15A double pole breakers and with these you can run a 240V line for your HPS as long as the ballast will operate on 240. They are the big breakers (the size of a 30A or 50A) and will take up 2 slots in your breaker box. You hook up a "hot" wire to each pole of the breaker and the "neutral" wire of your circuit will attach to the neutral bus bar in your panel. If you are going to do this I would pay the extra $ to purchase either a AFCI or GFCI breaker though (~$50 or so) instead of a standard breaker to keep your grow room safer. And yes, the 240 will save you in electrical costs over the 120 because it does consume power more efficiently (with higher voltage you are able to lower the current needed to transmit the power over a distance...voltage and current are inversely proportional to each other). Hope that helps.

This is the post I was reffereing to. You can't just throw in a dual pole, and everything will be fine. Your better bet is to either use your dryer or range socket and run something via that using a proper sized wire, like an 8/3 romex or check out a guide like this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5087567_install-volt-electrical-circuit-breakers.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_6396612_calculate-220-volt-wire-gauge.html

hiboy

hiboy

This is the post I was reffereing to. You can't just throw in a dual pole, and everything will be fine. Your better bet is to either use your dryer or range socket and run something via that using a proper sized wire, like an 8/3 romex or check out a guide like this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5087567_install-volt-electrical-circuit-breakers.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_6396612_calculate-220-volt-wire-gauge.html

IMO if your gona check your wiring size, breaker size, etc. be CAREFUL. Obviously your not skilled in the electrical field and to take on too much might be a bad decision. Hopefully you can find a "buddy" who knows his shitz and can lend a helping hand. One thing to remember is to always over estimate your power needed and yes bigger wire size is a +.

lazarus718

lazarus718

An 8 gauge wire would be way overkill for a 15 amp circuit bro, that is a 50 amp wire man. Since you were referring to my post I feel that a response to your comments is warranted. There is no problem with him installing a dual pole breaker in his box in place of the single pole as long as he has the room for the extra slot and is willing to either run some new 14/3 romex or if his existing wire is in conduit he can just simply pull another 14 gauge hot wire. For 240V you need two hots and one neutral in addition to your ground. He has 3 of the 4 wires needed already in place. Yes, he can also pull from another 240V circuit if it is not dedicated and at the proper amperage for his lighting system. A range or dryer circuit would be considered a dedicated circuit and has limitations on any additional outlets being placed on the circuit. You CANNOT just tie into these lines and run them anywhere in your building if you want to be compliant with NEC code. As HiBoy stated, a 15 amp 240V circuit would be sufficient to carry his two 1000W's.

Side note: I'm sorry man, but ehow is one of the absolute worst reference sites out there....

Latest posts

Top Bottom