VORTEX and exhaust fan question

• Thread starter joonie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
joonie

joonie

From what I know vortex seems to be the most quietest fan out of all of them.

Im going to be growing a sunhut w 1000w hps/mh. Thing is. I live on the 10th floor in an apartment. All my gear has to be very quite. I think im set on the digital ballast for the lighting. But im worried about the exhaust fan. Any recommendations?

true grit

true grit

Several options. First would be to get a large diameter fan, so that air movement is not as loud. I like to use speed controllers to turn down the fan speed to a speed that can manage temps and minimize noise. For example, an 6" or 8" turned down to half speed will still move what the 4" thats needed to keep the light cool would but be way less noise.

Also you can look into padding where you mount your fan or simply hanging it reduce vibrations. Seen bungees utilized well here, but I tend to prefer a more solid fixture.

A large fan turned down and mounted well should sound like a quiet bathroom fan.

P

paco666

if your good at rigging things.... axial exhaust fans can move some air and are pretty silent....
used a 100cfm mounted inside a block of high density packing foam... this sat flat on top of another piece of the foam....which was set around the exhaust out....
cooled a 15 square foot grow box with a 400w hid in absolute silence....

have a couple 263 cfm axial fans i gonna use with speed controllers in my next rig.....

they do allow light to pass.... it's pretty easy to build an opaque light baffle that free flows air though....

true grit

true grit

If you are going to be running a 1000w I would definitely suggest more than 400cfm....which is what you would be looking at on most 6"-up centrifugal fans.

THECALI.KID

THECALI.KID

VORTEX all the way put a home made muffler or store bought one on it and it will be silent they come with a life time warranty when i buy my gear i look for the best warranty

D

doco

I use vortex fans, suspended by bungie cords. I also use insulated ducting and in some cases, put folded towels around the fan. Im in an apartment too and you can't really hear it when the door is closed. I have seen people build soundproof boxes for them but the airflow is still noisy without insulated ducting.

GrowMaster

GrowMaster

From what I know vortex seems to be the most quietest fan out of all of them.

Im going to be growing a sunhut w 1000w hps/mh. Thing is. I live on the 10th floor in an apartment. All my gear has to be very quite. I think im set on the digital ballast for the lighting. But im worried about the exhaust fan. Any recommendations?

All u need is a 6" vortex and some insulated ducting, the 6" arnt that loud to begin with, its the 8" and up that are loud, but if that aint quite enough u can buy duct mufflers for them, that quites them down alot, I have 1 on my 12" and 1 on my 8" vortexs, any grow shop should have them just ask.

Tripsick

Tripsick

Get a bigger fan than you need and put a quality speed controller on it.

Vortex have a great warranty and are more quiet than their cheap knock offs.

D

Damen

What about power on these fans where someone isnt as worried about noise,,, something that would have a bit of power to push well through a carbon filter and still move air well. Any suggestions.

R

Rolln J

the carbon filter itself helps to quiet the fan a whole bunch and as others said - hang them with bungees and get an overkill fan w/ a speed controller. even turning the speed down to 80% decreases the noise by almost half.

M

Mr.Therapy Man

You can build a plywood box and a nd hang it with bungy cords.I saw a kick ass thread on this today.Plywood box 6 inches bigger than your fan hung from the ceiling is the bomb.Great thread on riu in grow room set up.Its got detailed pictures and instrutions.Its an entire thread on noise reduction including lights,fans,ballest,etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom