Vortex and Trainwreck how are they doing?

• Thread starter Legacy420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Legacy420

Legacy420

Hello all here are some pics of my Vortex that popped on 1/18 and my trainwreck(GHS) that popped on the 11th they are vegging under 4 CFL's until I flower them with my 250 watt hps in my homebox xs.( hopefully they make it) this is my 3rd grow my second one was fucked. hopefully I can make up with this one.

The vortex is loosing color i dunno why and the TW's first set of leaves are turning yellow. they are both planted directly into Fox Farms Ocean's forest soil. Is this soil too hot? should I just stop and start over again with a 50/50 mix of perlite and ffof? someone please help me out :sad0123:

Vortex and trainwreck how are they doing
Vortex and trainwreck how are they doing 2
H

highroller

Premium Member
Supporter
What spectrum are those cfl's?

H

highroller

Premium Member
Supporter
ok then you should be ok there. I was thinkin perhaps you didn't have enough blue light for them. the warmer lights like the 3000k and the hps will make for lighter foliage in younger plants. I haven't used the FFOF, but I've heard its got plenty of nutrients. Plants at the seedling stage need very little in the way of nutrients. Funny tho, they look to me like they're suffering from an N deficiency.
I know I'm not being much help to yuo....sorry, but I'm tryin bro. There are other issues you can check...are you keeping them too wet? Have you checked the ph? You have any insects like fungus gnats that may be feeding on the roots? Take a good look through a troubleshooter guide perhaps that will help you out.
Wish I could be of more help right now. I'm sure someone else will be through as well....

J

John Ditchweed

Looks like a slight ph problem......... I tried using ocean farm while I was on my short lived soil trip......... for some reason I can't grow in soil to save my life........... give me some water and I will grow you a forest......... I say that because all my plants in soil changed to yellow slowly........... I had hell with ph in soil

Legacy420

Legacy420

ok then you should be ok there. I was thinkin perhaps you didn't have enough blue light for them. the warmer lights like the 3000k and the hps will make for lighter foliage in younger plants. I haven't used the FFOF, but I've heard its got plenty of nutrients. Plants at the seedling stage need very little in the way of nutrients. Funny tho, they look to me like they're suffering from an N deficiency.
I know I'm not being much help to yuo....sorry, but I'm tryin bro. There are other issues you can check...are you keeping them too wet? Have you checked the ph? You have any insects like fungus gnats that may be feeding on the roots? Take a good look through a troubleshooter guide perhaps that will help you out.
Wish I could be of more help right now. I'm sure someone else will be through as well....

I only water them when the containers are light and dry I stick my finger in the soil about a half inch to make sure it's dry. I was thinking N deficiency also but the same thing happened with my last grow. I gave them some light nutes and then I topped it a few days later. I think it was too much all at once and they were shocked and died. I dont wanna go that route this time. I hope it's not damping off. I haven't checked the ph runnoff I was told with organics that the ph doesn't matter alot. my last grow the ph runoff was 8! if it's that high this time what do i do? I will check the ph next watering. Thanks Hight + rep!

Legacy420

Legacy420

That's funny John because I did a hydro experiment and my hydro plants grew way easier and with less hassle than this soil. I couldn't wait to get my hands on ffof and use it instead of my home depot run of the mill bs. but looking back my babies liked the bs soil better than my ffof. Go figure! If I can't fix the ph issue I will just build a dwc and keep it moving.

H

highroller

Premium Member
Supporter
A ph of 8 is far too high. It does matter in soil. Should be around 6.0-6.5. Many nutrients are not available once the ph rises or falls out of the preferred range. There's a chart that comes in handy for this. It pictures all the nutrients and the ph ranges at which they are available for plant uptake. Should be in one of the trouble shooting guides. i don't know where right offhand, but I'll take a look about for it and post it up here.

edited to say, as far as soiless mixes go, personally I prefer one that has no, or very little nutrient value. That way you know exactly what is in it cause you put it there and you can start the plants out on a mild feed. I am almost certain it is not damping off. give a check right at soil level for a mushy or spongy stem...

Legacy420

Legacy420

Ok I just checked the ph for both of my babies. Luckily they needed water so I watered with poland spring and they are both at appx 6.5 ph Now I am really lost.

Legacy420

Legacy420

check the hardness of your water mate, if your using tap water check and see if the ec is high out of the tap :) i've got a feeling its hard water and the soil being hot causin nute lockout looks like either sulphur or nitrogen deficency to me but others will follow unless you flush soon and start them back on eith r/o water or mineral water. if it is hard water that is. maybe someone will come along with some more info but i would definitely check your water.
good luck bro:bong-hits:

Ripz I am using poland spring water.

Legacy420

Legacy420

Ripz,I just watered them so if I dont see any improvement next watering I will flush them. good thing there in small containers the flush should be quick and easy. Thanks!

wambam123

wambam123

mate get that trainwreck in some coco soil ASAP it will thrive!!

JayBee

JayBee

International Toker
Supporter
I dont know about poland spring, but where i live in asia the bottled water is about twice as hard as the tap water!

Legacy420

Legacy420

Well since I just watered them today I decided to take ripz advice and flush them. So i start to flush and I notice fucking fungus gnats! I am so tired of soil problems. I took the plant out of the pot and noticed it was about to be root bound. the root were totally encircling the pot and the stronger tap roots were busting out of the newspaper I put at the bottom of the pot. I flushed all of the dirt away from the roots and replanted it in a growplug and sat it in my hydro culture pot filled with hydroton. I gave it 75% poland spring and 25% water with a light dose of AN mother earth tea. Wish me luck. I will post some pics if my baby makes it. and as for the Vortex I put it out of it's misery. :-(

H

highroller

Premium Member
Supporter
Well there you go then...rootbound and fungus gnats. Smaller plants can take a beating from the larvae of fungus gnats. They feed on the roots. May I ask why you put newspaper in the bottom of your pots? Not such a good idea methinks. Leave that out next time IMO.

Legacy420

Legacy420

Highroller I put newspaper on the bottom of my pots along with some hydroton for drainage. the newspaper makes sure soil doesn't run out of the holes. I got it from seemorebuds buds for less book. Do you think my baby will survive now in the hydropot?

J

John Ditchweed

fungus nats aren't just a soil problem either they appear in hydro just as quickly........... trust me stay out in the country I see all kinds of pests but I normally catch the bastards so its allright

Latest posts

Top Bottom