Vote against taxes? = Repeal

• Thread starter haole
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Interesting. This wouldn't have been able to happen in California with a constitutional proposition passed by the voters (which also bites us in our collective asses). Indeed, that fact was what has allowed/caused the rulings with regard to SB420 (People vs Kelley), as the judge ruled quite specifically that the legislature can NOT amend any constitutionally passed amendment to our state constitution (which, again, bites us in the ass, hello Proposition 8).

I will suggest, however, that you could make voting a habit and perhaps have an impact locally, if not nationally. Go witness a vote count, make sure they're counting them appropriately, that's a great way to ensure that votes are managed correctly where you live, at the very least. :)

I was surprised that CO voters approved such a high tax rate, btw. That alone could have been enough for me to vote no. Yes, you read that right.

Jarofunk

Jarofunk

Sea- CO voters did not approve the high tax rate. Not yet at least. The tax rate that we are going to vote on in November was come up with by our lawmakers once 64 had passed. Different from WA state, where they actually voted on a specific tax rate (one that can be changed since it's an initiative, not a constitutional amendment)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ahhh...! Ok, so the legislature is tying this vote on the taxes to 64...? I'm still reading the article.

sky high

sky high

You SHOULD be surprised that CO voters would approve such a tax, sea....because...um...we didn't. What we did was pass an Amendment to our State Constitution that gave us individual grow/possession rights and that says that our lawmakers would decide the parameters surrounding the "commercial" and "tax" side of this law. Thus we have the "panel" tossing recommendations at the lawmakers and the lawmakers themselves crafting (quick) alternative legislation.....and lots of speculation as to who will eventually get their way.

Keep in mind that the voters were told that the first 40 MILLION in taxes from sales would go to schools....but now the price of pot has DROPPED...because nobody has been watching the henhouse the State built for commercial/dispensary Tomfoolery... and the tax projections....at anything less than 30%...are not gonna drop anywhere close to 40 million in the fund.....so legislators who were always against this...and even some who were for it under the original/overbloated/"let's make this look REALLY GOOD for the taxbase" motif it was sold under....have a huge opportunity to rethink and challenge it all. If the voters think they will have to make up the difference...or that it will COST the state to have this industry here...the >people< can vote the entire thing out.

gonna be interesting to see how badly everyone can further fuck up the good thing we had here..

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ohh... that shit's gonna go into the general fund. You mark my words.

EDIT* Didn't see your post, sky high. That makes MUCH more sense given what I'm gleaning from the article. Just... wow. But then not surprising given our current social climate.

putembk

putembk

Another day of our wonderful lawmakers getting paid to do nothing. I thought the voters of Colorado had already approved the legalization of marijuana. Why then are they rehashing and trying to undo something the voters have approved. Ah yes, remember when I worked for the gov't (us army) and got paid to stand around and smoke pot. Lets all vote them in a raise. By the way 30% plus current taxes will raise the transaction price back some for the black market grower.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Colorado is a legalization nightmare. I let my med certification go because I don't trust the state to keep my medical records private from the Feds, even under the force of Federal privacy laws regarding patients' medical care.

The more shit like this happens, the longer it will take for prices to fall.

If I was a totally selfish asshole, I would just keep stirring the pot and laugh all the way to the bank!

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
It will be 6-8 years before the first 40 million in tax is realized....they are barely pumpin $7 million a year into the state coffers now...not sure if they thought it was goin to do $40+ every year or what but if the first $40million is already spent on schools, if it resets every year it for sure will be a long while if ever before any other funds would be available to the state general fund or even for enforcement, monitoring, regulating the actual program..

I think the vote on the 30% will probably pass but then I don't think people will patronize the commercial locations when they do, so still no money.....

Better off with a red card dispensery, only local sales tax applies 7.62% i think, all customers can buy 2+zips a piece, can buy clones, a dispensery can buy wholesale and sell wholesale to each other, no restriction on edibles potency...ammend 64 may actaully help red card dispenseries by bringin more back to the med roles...who knows

putembk

putembk

Irregardless of how much tax $$ is generated and I do see your point TK. What I am wondering is why our law makers are wasting their time and our $$$ on a law that has just passed by majority rule. What right do they have and what justifies their actions. I WISH OUR GOVERNMENT WOULD STOP BEING PART OF THE PROBLEM AND START BEING PART OF THE SOLUTION.

C

cctt

I don't understand what the path to such a repeal would look like. As it's already been passed into the constitution they'd need another voter-approved amendment to repeal it ... right?

putembk

putembk

I don't understand what the path to such a repeal would look like. As it's already been passed into the constitution they'd need another voter-approved amendment to repeal it ... right?
That is the way I understand it after reading the article this morning. Didn't we just vote it in? I wonder if these idiots had to pay for this themselves they would be waisting their time on an issue that got more votes than Obama did in this state.

H

haole

No...

In November, there will be a vote on whether there should be 30% taxes on retail sale of recreational marijuana.

If the votes for 'no' win, then the recreational marijuana constitutional amendment is gone.

This is not set in stone yet, the next week or two will tell the rest of the story.

C

cctt

In November, there will be a vote on whether there should be 30% taxes on retail sale of recreational marijuana. If the votes for 'no' win, then the recreational marijuana constitutional amendment is gone.

That does not make sense. A vote on whether to pass a new tax is not the same as a vote to repeal a constitutional amendment. They can't just proclaim them one and the same. They're bound to the legally defined process for creating new legislation.

Dopegeist

Dopegeist

Public schools are failing our children.
The vote is on the tax. To repeal a constitutional amendment takes 'the will of the people', i.e. another amendment.
We have TABOR in Colorado (google it), that keeps the lawmakers from being able to pass any tax as they please.

In fact we have a lot of things other states should be fighting for.

Basically they are trying to find as high a tax as they can that will fly with the average person who doesn't mind 'taxing the shit' out of drugs. But we'll see, they get it wrong, no taxes (excise) till they get it right is my guess?

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
This is exactly the stuff we have been talking about since we all started smoking pot out of coke cans- Legalize it, put a high tax on it and whats the big hold up... This is exactly why we all need to do our part and go find a lobbyist and beat the shit out of them.
I'll vote no. or yes. or both.

PB

sky high

sky high

Sure would be easier all around (and far more fun) if the FED just shuts this clownboy shitshow down before it gets started.

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
I haven't heard that touched upon yet- it has kinda lost of bit of the fun factor, hasn't it?

Latest posts

Top Bottom