WA state legislation to stop localities from banning legal weed businesses

• Thread starter inthegorge
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
inthegorge

inthegorge

While I502 legalized less than an ounce of cannabis and authorized legitimate businesses associated with the production and sale of weed here in WA state many local cities and counties have put in place moratoriums on any businesses involved in legal cannabis. Here is information on legislation to address that issue:

"Lawmakers took steps Wednesday to further address whether or not local governments can choose to ban licensed marijuana businesses.

A compromise that emerged out of a House committee Wednesday would give local governments a cut of marijuana tax revenues while requiring them to go along with the state-wide initiative that legalized recreational pot use.

The passage of Initiative 502 in 2012 paved the way for the legalization and regulation of the sale of marijuana. In January, Attorney General Bob Ferguson said the initiative didn’t prevent cities and counties from banning marijuana businesses within their jurisdictions. However, the Legislature could pass legislation preventing local jurisdictions from enacting bans on pot businesses.

Substitute House Bill 2144 passed out of the House Government Accountability and Oversight Committee Wednesday morning. The legislation would create the Local Jurisdiction Fund, where 20 percent of retail excise tax on marijuana would be collected and distributed back to the local governments where the sale occurred. It would also prevent local jurisdictions from creating bans on marijuana businesses.

Chair of the committee Rep. Chris Hurst, a Democrat from Enumclaw, said he feels that the Legislature needs to address whether or not local governments can ban marijuana businesses. Some local governments have already passed ordinances prohibiting licensed marijuana businesses from operating.

Hurst said that local jurisdictions are making a significant error by trying to ban marijuana businesses. He said that bans would lead to criminal markets flourishing next to cities with regulated markets.

"I think it’s critical that we address the preemption issue right now, here today," Hurst said. "I-502 doesn’t work unless it works everywhere."

Substitute House Bill 2144, introduced by Republican Rep. Cary Condotta of East Wenatchee, incorporates House Bill 2638, introduced by Democratic Rep. Sharon Wylie of Vancouver, into the proposal. House Bill 2638 called for the establishment of state preemptive laws to prohibit local governments from creating bans on pot businesses. If the new compromise bill passes, local laws banning marijuana sales would be unenforceable.

The new substitute bill passed out of the committee 9-0, with bipartisan support. Condotta said the legislation is one of the most important bills to come out of the committee, as it determines the fate of Initiative 502.

"This has to be a statewide program, and I think it does have to offer some incentive for the local governments to administer,” Condotta said.

Substitute House Bill 2144 must now pass through a fiscal committee, where it will be decided if it goes to the House floor for a vote."

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hey ITG, do you mind that I fixed your thread title? I don't think 'week businesses' was the intention, I'm assuming that was a typo. :)

Good stuff, btw, I really hope the state's able to bring back medical as it the voters intended it to be.

inthegorge

inthegorge

Oh gosh...thanks Seamaiden! Our medical has not changed yet and everyone that utilizes the system wants it to stay the way it is. Unfortunately the state wants it to be about money and not what is best for the people that need medical cannabis so we will see what happens. Everyone in WA state that has a concern should be writing to their legislators, calling and emailing each one to voice your concern over any changes to the current system for medical cannabis that still today is one of the most liberal in the country. If the WA liquor control board and the Department of Revenue has their way however it will not be much longer:-(((

inthegorge

inthegorge

This article is just about "recreational" cannabis...not medical unfortunately.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yes, but at this point, if I understand what's happening in your state, there is now an assault on medical post-recreational in the name of canna-business, and I don't think anyone (of the general public) who voted in favor of I502 thought it would happen.

inthegorge

inthegorge

You are absolutely right Seamaiden....no one that voted for legalization wanted the medical process changed! Unfortunately WA is s state where taxation is king as far as the government is concerned:-( Everything is about taxes and they want their ridiculously exorbitant cannabis taxes from people that use medical cannabis and they don't want people who have medical cannabis selling un-taxed weed to anyone else either. It is so flipping obvious and it is disgusting to put taxation before a persons right to safe medicine. Seriously Washingtonians....contact your legislators before anything is written in stone! Medical cannabis was brought to WA state by the people in the way of a ballot measure so it is a popular idea here and we all need to be on the band wagon if we want them to keep it as it is and not get their sticky tax hungry fingers into it!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
This is really where voting is key, in my opinion and experience.

Jboys3

Jboys3

You are absolutely right Seamaiden....no one that voted for legalization wanted the medical process changed! Unfortunately WA is s state where taxation is king as far as the government is concerned:-( Everything is about taxes and they want their ridiculously exorbitant cannabis taxes from people that use medical cannabis and they don't want people who have medical cannabis selling un-taxed weed to anyone else either. It is so flipping obvious and it is disgusting to put taxation before a persons right to safe medicine. Seriously Washingtonians....contact your legislators before anything is written in stone! Medical cannabis was brought to WA state by the people in the way of a ballot measure so it is a popular idea here and we all need to be on the band wagon if we want them to keep it as it is and not get their sticky tax hungry fingers into it!
I think Oregon is really watching how you folks prcoceed as many of us here don't like what is going on across the river. However; out liquor laws are about to change so I can see our OLCC trying the same end run as you liquor commission.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
What kinds of changes to the liquor laws are you folks going to be seeing?

Jboys3

Jboys3

What kinds of changes to the liquor laws are you folks going to be seeing?
Five different ballot measures are being passed around for signatures. Basically all of them are trying to get the state out of the liquor business. It could get rid of them on the wholesale and retail level. These measures are backed by Costco and Safeway, et al. Most citizens I talk with like the California system and wish to see it implemented.

oregonized

oregonized

Yes, but at this point, if I understand what's happening in your state, there is now an assault on medical post-recreational in the name of canna-business, and I don't think anyone (of the general public) who voted in favor of I502 thought it would happen.

Personally, it is only because of an ignorant public. The warning and reading was all there to peruse initially. We were screaming to anyone who would listen, not Russ Belville, not DPA, not Allison and her cover for ACLU. They wanted uniformed voters on this issue, by a mile. Sadly the argument about using empirical evidence to drive policy has all about been stamped out by corporatists.

oregonized

oregonized

I have had a standing offer to move to Seattle just about the time that I-502 was being introduced to the public. For whatever reason I read up more on that measure than anything else previously. I still have that standing offer to move, but with the climate going on, I would rather stay off the radar altogether, Fuck it.

So sick of the politics and people saying, "see, there is light at the end of the tunnel, because of one little thing just happened, its proof"......its just a little more of the carrot being dangled before .......
3894.jpg

[too much pickle diesel hits after lunch today, my apologies for rambling]

Top Bottom