Walipini the all year underground greenhouse

• Thread starter donmekka
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
donmekka

donmekka

ttystikk

ttystikk

I was planning to do something very similar. As I see it, this is just a very deeply dug cold frame with a well insulated cover. The essential dimensions demand a soilbed well below grade and earthen walls, not too hard.

If the greenhouse roof were all one pitch, it would simplify adding an insulating night layer/light deprivation cover. If winter's light intensity fails to reach acceptable levels, said cover could simply remain in place. 'Supplemental' lighting would both light and warm the space anytime the cover is in place but light is desired. Shenanigans could ensue on a year round basis.

donmekka

donmekka

I just think it would be awesome to have a in ground green house. from the out side in it would look rather small but actually fairly tall 10-12feet on the north wall. I have the approval of the wife so now to start designing!

ttystikk

ttystikk

I just think it would be awesome to have a in ground green house. from the out side in it would look rather small but actually fairly tall 10-12feet on the north wall. I have the approval of the wife so now to start designing!

Scoop out the hole and pile it up on the north side. I want to hear what you come up with, I love this idea!

K

kolah

That is pretty cool. Although it would not work well in extreme cold temps and high elevation (without some other form of heating).

It may be helpful if a cold sink area was dug out in a north side of the structure so the cold air could be trapped at away from the garden.

I think you would more than enough sun in there to grow medicine. And I like the stealth factor for sure.

And as Tyy mentioned it would be sweet for doing light dep.

ttystikk

ttystikk

That is pretty cool. Although it would not work well in extreme cold temps and high elevation (without some other form of heating).

It may be helpful if a cold sink area was dug out in a north side of the structure so the cold air could be trapped at away from the garden.

I think you would more than enough sun in there to grow medicine. And I like the stealth factor for sure.

And as Tyy mentioned it would be sweet for doing light dep.

I like the idea of a cold sink- it could be anywhere as long as it was accessible to cold air, which I would think would drop down the edges, perhaps? I see this being best built as a hole with a shallow sloping south side and an all but vertical north wall. This way there would be no place in the hole that would fail to get sunlight, even in the dead of winter. The more closely the glazing is to being exactly perpendicular to the angle of incoming sunlight would the better to maximize solar gain.

Kolah, you may be underestimating the ability of the earth to hold heat under an insulating blanket. It might not stay a balmy 75 in there all winter, but I bet a well constructed one wouldn't work hard to stay well above freezing, even overnight during a stretch of cloudy and cold winter weather.

ttystikk

ttystikk

If America could once again, be a nation of self-reliant farmers, ranchers, craftsman, hunters and artists then the rich would have very little power to dominate others. Neither to serve or rule, that was the American Dream.
-Edward Abbey

Bonus points for quoting Edward Abbey! I consider myself a spiritual member of the Money Wrench Gang, from 'way back!

donmekka

donmekka

I am thinking the north wall would be 55 gallon drums filled with water 2-3 high I can get plenty free and water has a better thermal mass then earth or rock. And earth bag walls on the east west and south sides.the cold sink is a must. if you need extra heat i am sure a co2 generator could handle that task.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I am thinking the north wall would be 55 gallon drums filled with water 2-3 high I can get plenty free and water has a better thermal mass then earth or rock. And earth bag walls on the east west and south sides.the cold sink is a must. if you need extra heat i am sure a co2 generator could handle that task.

All these sound like great ideas, especially once running a CO² burner is factored in- with one exception, the drums full of water. I understand their thermal heating quotient, but I don't see the value if the wall behind it can be used instead. What's got more thermal mass than the earth itself? If you feel the need, finish the wall with a material that maximizes the solar gain, maybe something as simple as black made from wetted charcoal. I would consider a similar approach with the ends of the facility as well.

I would also angle the east and west walls out to catch more sunlight. The floor of the greenhouse can't be too far below the lip of the hole on the south side, lest the low angles of winter sun defeat the whole purpose. I'm envisioning a more gentle slope or terrace of only 30 degrees from horizontal, and a flat floor set further back. This makes for a wider structure from north to south, but it would maximize winter heat gain. Summer lighting need not be compromised with such a floorplan, and in summer the sloped/terraced area could be effectively used in production as well.

Add a light depo cover, high intensity indoor lighting, a modern integrated climate control system and automated grow controls and this might be the well dressed grow op of the future...

donmekka

donmekka

Everything i have read tells me water has a better thermal mass then earth.obviously there would be a compacted earth berm behind them. also drainage is going to be a HUGE issue in the summer and i may be able to use them as water storage...probably paint them flat black...IDK yet just a thought.

Also the longer east to west the more efficient seems a 3 to 1ratio for length to width is the standard .

K

kolah

I wonder how these will work in heavy rain areas. You may have to install some french drain stuff just to be safe. Building on a slope would help as well.

donmekka

donmekka

Yeah good drainage is a must consider digging a extra 2-3feet deep to back fill with gravel depending on your area possibly a sump pump.

You can also put pond liner 10ft around it sloping away 6" under the top soil

sky high

sky high

Major thanks for posting this up, donmekka! We have a >perfect< spot for this application! Stoked!

HighTimes74

HighTimes74

Did anyone have success with the Walipini method? I'm researching this style of greenhouse for a potential High Times article. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Calixylon

Calixylon

Been thinking about making one of these to try and go yeR round up in maine, probly need a heater still, but when it's built into the ground like that you could easily manipulate light cycle to force flowering. Just a big project to undertake, need some heavy duty equipment to trench that out

Top Bottom