Want to try ProMix HP instead of Root Riots: How much to tamp the soil around the Cutting?

• Thread starter plumsmooth
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
plumsmooth

plumsmooth

Since I transplant into Top Drip RDWC I am starting to be concerned with the lingering Sponge-like presence of the Root Riot or Rapid Rooter plug around the Crown and stem in the system.
I feel as though the crown would rather completely breath. I used to clone in Coco and then Coco with perlite and I love Root Riots. Seems as long as there is enough air in my ProMix mix HP I should be able to get comparible results. I admit that when the roots grow between the Plugs and the plastic that is where they really take off (lots of air). But I don't like the base of the stem and crown being continually wet, which is what it is once these plugs are put into a RDWC system.

I think it is important to tamp it around the stem for good contact esepcially since my nature it loosens up everytime it gets watered. I am not sure a loosely placed cutting as good enough stem contact during the rooting process? Although I eventually rincsf the soil mix unlike the plugs which can be placed directly in to the L.E.C.A media, at least the crown is complely airated without a sponge around it for the duration of the long grow cycle?

B

BuffNuts

Not sure about the lbgtrdwc lifestyle but don't stuff prop trays with peat you'll rip the roots off checking them. Got any egg crates.

Top Bottom