Wanting to transition to hydroponics, could you share some experience?

• Thread starter SmokeyEye
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I am hoping we move to a bit larger place so I can do some aquaponics. That is the ultimate in organic.
Comparatively speaking, far less automation is needed for AP than almost any other mode of growing, yet it has many of the fast growth benefits of hydro and the stability of organic soil.
I'd love to be the one that starts the Aquaponic side of the forum.
I think it would be challenging to do cannabis in Aquaponics... nutrient demands are pretty high and hard on fish. Lighter feeders are a bit better candidates.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I think it would be challenging to do cannabis in Aquaponics... nutrient demands are pretty high and hard on fish. Lighter feeders are a bit better candidates.
I keep hearing that, and I have an idea as to why, but to test it out, I need to do a grow or 5 in that mode for decent results.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Taking advantage of transpiration? That may help... lowest humidity they handle and bit warmer?
That's part of it.

Almost every aquaponic system I have ever seen has only 1 kind of fish. Different fish give different trace elements in their fecal matter. A mix of fish and other types of water critters is required to get everything needed in a natural manner so that it is 100% organic.

Why do soil companies used more than one type of guano? Same thing.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

That's part of it.

Almost every aquaponic system I have ever seen has only 1 kind of fish. Different fish give different trace elements in their fecal matter. A mix of fish and other types of water critters is required to get everything needed in a natural manner so that it is 100% organic.

Why do soil companies used more than one type of guano? Same thing.
The important part is the fish food... best to make your own. Usually talipia is used because they can tolerate the high nitrogen.... Oscar's and goldfish maybe a decent candidate?

It's not just the fish poop but excess feeding. The food actually is the real important part

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

The important part is the fish food... best to make your own. Usually talipia is used because they can tolerate the high nitrogen.... Oscar's and goldfish maybe a decent candidate?
A couple of cray fish on the bottom doing pre-processing... Some algae eaters....

Dopey28

Dopey28

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

God I remember the first time my dad brought one of these home from big als as a kid. I was amazed and elated that my days of drinking cichlid water from 30 tanks and carrying buckets were behind me. Lol
That was my first thought after buying one also... I dont even know how much fish shit I've drank over the years lmao.

PizzaBob

PizzaBob

I’ve done built about everything imaginable. So first got into hydro on 1994. Rock wool cubes over slabs recirculating top feed. Trays were 6’ long which held 2 slabs. Nutes were only Europonic 2 part. Either grow or bloom. Nothing else whatsoever. I still can’t find any nutes that worked better. Maybe they were full of pgrs idk. But simple and effective. What totally destroyed all that was getting into all the sugars and bennies. Had to give up hydro b/c of issues. To be discussed later.

PizzaBob

PizzaBob

Aquaponics not a good choice for any plant requiring much PK. Only good fir greens.
I tried DWC and RDWC and I find over complicated fir the outcomes. My first homemade system was super simple to build and leak proof. Just a 17 gallon rubbermade with holes drilled in lid. Put cubes on top and had a pump continuously too feeding. That’s it. Easily get 12 zips off a 400 hps. More of my builds to come.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Fallponics Rdwc top feed. 10 gal per plant. I add ph up or down every other day. And do res changes about once every 3 weeks.

For me I won't ever run anything else due to how easy this has been. It's my first grow and I wasn't ready for the boom. 4 month from seed to harvest and I'm hoping for at least 13 Oz out of my 2x4. 3 flavors.. Building my next system and yea.. There's so many hydro methods.. I think if you did an easy method yet decent investment in equipment.. Right return line sizes.. You will love it.

I will never run any other hydro system or dirt... Gl man

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

My preffered system is an organic soil with auto water.
It's pretty much what we are doing now except the watering will be sort of automated.
A camera in the tent wifi'ed to my tablet will tell me if they need water, and I can just hit a button and the pump takes over.
So crazy easy.

Grapefruitroop

Grapefruitroop

I've done that. A continuous drip feed. Not enough to overwhelm.
Very interesting....i bet you were running also a low humidity environment right?Do you think would work ina 70-80% RH room?
Cause i have some cubes on slabs ina sealed mother room that is very wet and im letting the slab go dry before watering and they seems to really enjoy...but never tryed any different approach cause i was worried about overwatering (by frequency) the rockwool...

Top Bottom