War Breaks Out Within the Marijuana Legalization Movement (part 2)

• Thread starter Cali smoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

War Breaks Out Within the Marijuana Legalization Movement (part 2)
October 3, 7:51 PM - Detroit Drug Policy - Examiner Bruce Cain

Overview

A war is breaking out between the Cannabusiness Community, that hopes to profit from draconian regulation of Marijuana, and the pillars of the drug reform movement that insist that the self cultivation of Marijuana become an untaxed, unregulated sacred right. The second part of this series looks at how Ethan Nadleman and the Drug Policy Alliance are standing in the way of our inalienable right to "grow our own" Marijuana.

Introduction

In the first part of this series I described a evolving "war" within the Marijuana Re-Legalization movement. The battle lines have been drawn. On one side is the Cannabusiness community that hopes to solidify policies that would allow them to monopolize the market through the establishment of "dispensaries" as the only means for American Citizens to obtain their Marijuana. Under this model Americans would be forced to pay "black market" prices, of between $300 to $500 dollars an ounce, as is currently the case at California dispensaries. The Cannabusiness Community is represented by pseudo drug reform organizations (e.g., NORML, DPA and MPP) as well as by dispensaries (e.g., Richard Lee, owner of Oaksterdam) that stand to profit from the imposition of a this highly regulated and taxed model.

On the other side are the true activists that believe we should be able to grow unlimited amounts of "self cultivated" Marijuana without any taxation, regulation or other forms of government interference. Under this model, represented by the MERP Model, Americans would be able to grow their own Marijuana for free in their gardens or at about $20 an ounce if they elected to grow inside under new energy efficient LED light arrays.

"Beer and Wine" or "Hard Liquor"

One useful way to compare these two models is to think of the way we treat beer and wine in contrast to the way we treat hard liquor. In most states the home production of both beer and wine is not taxed or regulated. So American Citizens have the choice as to whether they want to produce their own beer and wine or just buy it from a local store. Hard liquor is quite a different story. While you are free to purchase it from a store you will most certainly be fined or jailed if you attempt to produce it yourself by setting up a home "still."

Obviously the true activists prefer the "beer and wine" model, whereas the Cannabusiness community prefers the "hard liquor" model. So while the greedy Cannabusiness community often labels "self cultivation" as too radical it is nothing of the sort. It is almost exactly the same model that we have allowed for the home production of beer and wine for decades.

Click here to read the rest of the article... :smiley_joint:

OldToker

OldToker

I say both sides can work together and have their way! I can make my own beer at home and I do.....and I buy alot of beer at the store as well. Not everyone wants to grow (or can) marijuana. Some would rather leave it to the people that have the know how and the strains to give them what they want.

H

H3LLB0Y

kind of a bud/hash and (beer & wine)/hard liquor analogy here or something.

with a difference coming from the nature of the technology associated with refining.

:sweating

cause i dont want any regulation on potency to specify the difference...

it's a vicious cycle. the more you struggle the worse it gets...

Illmind

Illmind

keep it medicinal

keep it medicinal legalization will only put money in the wrong ppls pockets. and expose young children to it which is the future some of the oldheads prolly thinking fuck thier futures but think of yer kid smoking at age 8 or 9. i would like them to also stop calling it the gateway drug too. alchohol is. first reason is its usually the first available intoxicatant to kids my pops threw me sips when i was a yungn prolly same with most ppl or they stole it. other reason is ppl dont smoke weed and go ok now lets go get more fucked up thats alky all the way. like prolly 70%of ppl at bars do coke and when do most do it u ask after they have drank a little and want the extra kick. that to me just screams gateway im no scientist tho. shit if i using other shit trees are just the cherry on top.

K

kindindy123

keep it medicinal legalization will only put money in the wrong ppls pockets. and expose young children to it which is the future some of the oldheads prolly thinking fuck thier futures but think of yer kid smoking at age 8 or 9. i would like them to also stop calling it the gateway drug too. alchohol is. first reason is its usually the first available intoxicatant to kids my pops threw me sips when i was a yungn prolly same with most ppl or they stole it. other reason is ppl dont smoke weed and go ok now lets go get more fucked up thats alky all the way. like prolly 70%of ppl at bars do coke and when do most do it u ask after they have drank a little and want the extra kick. that to me just screams gateway im no scientist tho. shit if i using other shit trees are just the cherry on top.

very good input!! i would agree with this!

M

Mikedigital

With all the irrational fear about complete legalization/decriminalization the "logic" step for the gov't will be the liquor model. I see this with states that pass med laws... If folks were truly open to the idea we'd see more total legalization/decriminalization bills & laws. I think it will eventually happen, it just gonna be some pitiful baby-steps before we get there.

Top Bottom