Warehouse Ventilation

• Thread starter naturalmedicine
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

naturalmedicine

I am in transition right now. I was at house for the last 6 years running 5K watts. I had an intake/exhaust system with a window unit AC. It was good for the first 4 years, but then started to get too hot during the summer. The cost for rent and electricity at that place was way too much, so I am leaving. I already have the warehouse and I have about a 5 weeks to get everything out of the old place. The warehouse is way different than a house, which is why I need all the help I can get.

N

naturalmedicine

you tube a.c. installation.
I was able to buy the vacuum gauges, and vacuum pump rather cheap on kijiji and was able to figure out how to install the a.c. myself. They usually come with enough refrigerant in them to do a run of 10-15 feet, so if you do not have to have your condenser and cooling unit farther then that you should be pretty good. Set up two 24000 btu splits for two serperate rooms. Love you tube. You can either weld the copper if you have an acetylene torch or flare not fitting work. If you have runs longer then what the refrigerant can do that is in the a.c. definitely need an A.C. guy though.

I am considering getting a 10X10 tent and running 4K in there so there won't be as much heat build up. Then after one or two cycles, get another 10X10 tent and do the same. Do you think I can get away with just air cooling the hoods for the first run, since it is winter right now and I will be running at night? The air would be pulled from inside the warehouse, throught the tent, and back out into the warehouse.

N

naturalmedicine

I would just exhaust the portable AC into the warhouse also, correct? They come with an exhaust on them if I'm not mistaken.

N

naturalmedicine

Ok. Thank you for all the help. I really, really appreciate it. I will keep updating with my progress. I'm gonna go get a quote for everything today. It should be within my budget. I need about 4K btu per 1000 watt, correct?

B

Bobby Smith

I have a brand new 14K portable (dual hose, Edgestar Extreme) and it couldn't keep my 14x10 room under 83F with four bare bulbed 600s (and just the lights running, not my generator, chillers, or anything else).

That was with intake air at ~55F and a heavily, heavily insulated (and sealed, obviously) room.

I'd increase the required BTU number by 50% for a portable; i.e., 6K BTUs for every light vs. 4K BTUs for every light (but I really wouldn't recommend a portable at all - I've had mine for a few months and am ready to give it away).

If you look at the manual, even though the AC says "14K" on it, the fact that they're only 80-85% efficient means you're really getting 11-12K BTU, and even that doesn't seem correct.

N

naturalmedicine

I think I saw a tent that had a zip up window big enough to fit an AC. Have you seen this or am I mistaken?

M

max_well

diy mini

Hey Naturalmedicine, Gard of Dreams,
If your wanting to avoid a professional mini split install, one or more of these units might work well for your 10X 10 space:
Can hook it up yourself. Cost is ~1500 for 1 ton unit, and I've read that they have 2 and 3 ton units due out (not sure when).

On the topic of keeping condenser /compressor outdoor part of mini split on the inside of your warehouse: I'm thinking about the same concept for a larger grow and wondering about the limits of this idea. I've got a ~40'X22' warehouse space with 16 foot ceilings that I'm planning a ~14k light grow sealed grow, planning to wall off the back of the space for a 14' x 22' space, and use 2 mini splits totaling 60k BTU. I'm trying to figure out if it would be wiser to put the outdoor unit on the roof or keep them in the warehouse space hung in the rafters near a whirlybird exit (which is outside of the planned grow space).. Seems like this might overheat the remaining space .. anyone know about this? Also, if placing the outside units on the roof, anyone have advice on good ways to get though a flat warehouse roof for the line-set/ wiring runs (gravel and tar/ membrane kind of roof)? Most of the neighboring warehouse spaces in the complex already have big a/c units on the roof... so it doesn't seem like it would be necessarily conspicuous or a safety concern to do likewise. Any thoughts are appreciated.
cheers
Max

M

max_well

G.O.D
Thank for the advice!
I'll keep it in mind. Still hopeful to get some better idea of what getting through warehouse roof would entail.. I was thinking if I were able to place the condensers up there and do the mounting of the air-handlers and run the electrical connections, and then have a professional to do the install. Do you know what a reasonable quote would be for this for 2 units?
thanks
Max

N

naturalmedicine

Great info. What type of hoods should I use for air cooling?

N

naturalmedicine

I agree with the space being bigger than needed. I never have all my plants up against any walls unless they are moveable walls. I'm only going to use the center 8X8 and leave the surrounding two feet on each side for maneuvering around. I am going to use two 8" fans to cool the lights (one for each set of two lights). Should I position the fans to pull air through the lights or push the air through?

N

naturalmedicine

I like the phone surveillance. That's definitely a nice touch.

Top Bottom