Warning!! Please read this!

• Thread starter smokestack23
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

smokestack23

Please feel free to pass this on and/or re-post it in every forum here at the farm and everywhere else.

Please watch this clip. It explains how, if you take photos with your phone (that has GPS), the location of the photo taken can be accessed by ANYONE VERY EASILY!!!

Even if you are a legal medical grower...not only the cops can do this, thieves and EVERYONE can.
This is SERIOUS. NOT A JOKE!! It is a clipping of an ABC channel 7 News broadcast.

Please pass it on:

Hopefully this doesn't put a total end to people posting helpful pics...Just use your camera not your smartphone.
Good day.

R

Relaxed420

So, now we have to figure out a way to throw off your gps location in your phone when you take pics...

half baked

half baked

the exact reason i dont own a mobile, far too risky imo

peace hb

L

Lost

You can turn it off. At least you cn on my phone..

And besides, you should always load the pic into an image editor aand change the format so the personal info gets erased. :)

M

MattToker

And besides, you should always load the pic into an image editor aand change the format so the personal info gets erased. :)

won't work for all properties.. right click -> properties still shows a few things like camera models with adobe ps cs5.

Anyways, you can look for exif tag remover/deleter or something of the sort on google. It will take care of everything (maybe not geo tags, depending on how recent the program is).

http://www.madrasgeek.com/2010/04/exif-tag-remover-delete-all-metadata-tags-from-images.html is one I saw, not sure if its freeware a demo or what, I have a script I use to do it thats a little more on the techy side.

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

i read on another post that the farm uses software that takes off your ip automatically, but assuming this is different than geotracking

M

MattToker

i read on another post that the farm uses software that takes off your ip automatically, but assuming this is different than geotracking

Your IP is never tied to an image, but rather to an action (uploading it), IPs are tracked though.. Even if they aren't stored on the forum/db, they're available in access logs. Then again, I doubt the feds would have the patience to attempt to tie grower images to IPs, then get another warrant with the ISP to get the clients name, all with a risk that the poster might be behind a proxy, or bull shitting and posting someone else's pictures.

Anyways, as paranoid as I am, being tracked to this website would be the least of my worries. I consider any person I talk to 1000x bigger of a risk (even if I don't mention growing, selling, or anything of that sort, just mentioning I smoke). Then again, I've heard some states are pretty crazy against weed (I mean, you can go to JAIL in florida for personal possession.. really..).

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl

How about not using your phone to pix of grows in the first place? I use my camera and strip the EXIF when uploading, in large part because I can't work my own cel phone well enough to be certain I'm doing it right. :blush I would never take photos of someone else's grow, at least, not without discussing it first. Just seems like that would so be overstepping the bounds, ya know?

L

Lost

Yea, its one thing to take pics of your own grow, but someone elses?/ no way..

S

spiderman

How about not using your phone to pix of grows in the first place? I use my camera and strip the EXIF when uploading, in large part because I can't work my own cel phone well enough to be certain I'm doing it right. :blush I would never take photos of someone else's grow, at least, not without discussing it first. Just seems like that would so be overstepping the bounds, ya know?
i don't see how EXIF data reveals anything incriminating, other than the make/model of the camera used.

TortureKill

TortureKill

I remember watching this on ABC or CNN or something, but never tied it to pics of plants. good post bro. Ive seen a lot of growers snap pics with their phone while in a pinch or without a camera. I never knew shit about geotagging, but my phone also doesnt even have a camera on it :) lol good lookin out brotha

Legion

Legion

Set the geotag as your local police department.. or the mayors house.. The White House.. lol

F

fondiz

I know it was a big problem for people that were using their iphones to take pics of their guerrilla grows. it auto enables geotaggin. I read a couple posts in other forums of people having their grows ripped off because of that. They post pics of there GG and other peeps would google earth that shit and find out exactly where it is. then boom goes the dynamite. out all that hardwork because someone slipped up with unsecure pictures.

M

mellokitty

damn. willl have to let people know (i know lots of guilty parties in regards to iphones). thx.

L

Lost

I know it was a big problem for people that were using their iphones to take pics of their guerrilla grows. it auto enables geotaggin. I read a couple posts in other forums of people having their grows ripped off because of that. They post pics of there GG and other peeps would google earth that shit and find out exactly where it is. then boom goes the dynamite. out all that hardwork because someone slipped up with unsecure pictures.

Ick! geocatching for rippers..

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter

exactly

Top Bottom