Washing machine and hydroton?

• Thread starter GanjaAL
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GanjaAL

GanjaAL

Was wondering if anyone has ever used a washing machine to rinse new hydroton??? Was thinking of using a mesh bag and put hydroton in it and run it through a hot wash cycle in order to rinse it properly. I would consider doing it by hand but I have to do 6- 50L bags worth for my chow mix.

Just a thought and I have one of the older model washing machines and not a front load.

Any thoughts????

Reactions: mal
GanjaAL

GanjaAL

Fucker... that is not what I wanted to hear...LOL I thought about doing that way but damn... that makes for a long day! ahahahahaha.

SweetTooth

SweetTooth

the best way I have found is to drill a shitload of holes in a 5 gallon bucket and dunk it in a full 50 gallon drum then work it around like a gold pan. the sediment will fall to the bottom of the barrell this way and it goes pretty fast

or you can just get the Gold label brand 80/20 mix and use it fresh out of the bag. I hope Canna catches on to the chow mix and also offers up a bagged chow mix

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

Well all these ideas sound great... but I think I will give the bag in the washing machine a try first and see how that works and report back. Mostly I want the sediment off as I will be mixing the coco/hydroton and then sterilizing it via paserization at 160 deg+.... I have it bought already and did not know they have it in the mix... damn it...LOL.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
I use the bag and poke holes in the bottom with a screwdriver and shove a hose in the top and run it for a couple of hours. Nice and clean.

It might trash a washing machine but who knows...

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

I am still debating... it is an old run down washing machine we bought for 150.00. I do not plan on just throwing whole bags in there just enough in a mesh bag and run it through a wash cycle. I will have to see... still trying to decide as this will be a two fold process... rinse, then sterilize.

Nobodynobody

Nobodynobody

Cement mixer. Drill holes in the drum part.
Never try it but SHOULD work

5g bucket. holes at bottom. fill half way. run water. use your hand or PAINT MIXER with drill, on low speed, that is rubber. (if metal it will beat and break hydro ton into small parts)

Finding a car wash place that does not reuse the water.
Pressure wash in a trashcan with holes.

Makeing holes at bottem of the 50l bag. do the same as the bucket idea buck in 1/3s in the bath tub for last resort by hand...

I gave up with that clay mes. Rockwool is great with top drip!

deep buddy

deep buddy

dude that is so funny i was just hunting for an extra washing machine!
it works great as long as you dont over load and use gentle.
also a little creative filter placement is helpful! if you need to then get one you wont be sorry.

deep buddy

deep buddy

I am still debating... it is an old run down washing machine we bought for 150.00. I do not plan on just throwing whole bags in there just enough in a mesh bag and run it through a wash cycle. I will have to see... still trying to decide as this will be a two fold process... rinse, then sterilize.
yes if you use bleach or H2O2 29%
they really are perfect once you find the right settings and you can just turn em off and let em soak, and with mesh bags your golden.
great minds think alike.

and in a pinch the 5 gals w/ holes or mesh bags in the tub, put a filter in drain, trust me. fwiw

bigcheese510

bigcheese510

cemcris got it right. easiest fastest way.

skyhigh you are a wise man. plus you never want to use a used washing machine to make hash. it will give you a new meaning to BUBBLE hash haha

evu80

evu80

I just wanted to ask what happens when you don't rinse out your hydroton before using it. What I do is I cut out smaller holes around the bottom and use my hose outside and let it fill from the top for a good 10 mins at the most.

ChemCris says we should rinse it for hours.

I usually get mineral residue from the hydroton for the first 2 weeks but afterwards it comes out super clean. Maybe I'm doing my plants a disfavor by not rinsing it out enough the first time>??

bigcheese510

bigcheese510

I just wanted to ask what happens when you don't rinse out your hydroton before using it. What I do is I cut out smaller holes around the bottom and use my hose outside and let it fill from the top for a good 10 mins at the most.

ChemCris says we should rinse it for hours.

I usually get mineral residue from the hydroton for the first 2 weeks but afterwards it comes out super clean. Maybe I'm doing my plants a disfavor by not rinsing it out enough the first time>??

if you rinse the brand new hydroton before use it you will see why. from the clay rubbing back and forth there is a lot of dust stuck to the pellets. you dont want to clog your dripers, sprayers, in line filters with the dust so you clean the pellets to avoid blockage and for some people its to ensure its clean.

evu80

evu80

i see, i usually rinse long enough until its flowing clear water but even then, I can see it collecting on the bottom of my reservoir. I'll try rinsing it longer this time.

KitsapGrapeApe

KitsapGrapeApe

dude just goto a laundry mat, thats where i take my Geo Pots, the old man working there wasn't to happy cause i made a mess with the left over coco from the pots, next time i'll clean em better before i go, i also think the front loaders would be gentler in the hydroton.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
I feel sorry for the unsuspecting folks that just wanna wash their clothes and get stuck having to use the machine after you...lol
Just make sure you don't spray nasties and they stick to your geo pots, will prob leave a nice residue on the machine regardless...

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
lol now that is what i would do lol. Then this way if your mesh bag rips open you can just walk away from the hole mess haha.
Please don't ever do that, please. Those maneuvers look bad on us as a whole...man up and buy a machine and do it at home :)
Don't take this personal flavorfinder420, its goes out to everyone...lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom