Washing/preparing Your Coco

• Thread starter CALI FARMER
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

CALI FARMER

Hello Farmers. I’m usually growing in rockwool and like it. I decided to try growing in coco. My goal is to keep a mother from a seed. I been reading a ton here about coco it sounds kinda scary to me. My question is how to prepare coco or buffer? Get it ready for use? I’ve read to wash it 3-4 times for 8 hrs. With a ph of 5.8 or 5.9. & calmag, 1/4 nuts? I’m using Canna coco in a 4 gallon pot. Nutrients are Veg+Bloom and life. Under a 400 watt mh. In a 4x4x80 tent. Thanks Farmers

hyzerflip

hyzerflip

I use Botanicare bricks, the big ones. I add one 5 gallon bucket of hot tap water, which is the perfect amount to hydrate it. Then, when I transplant I water with 2-3x as much nutrient solution as a normal watering to give it a good rinse as the plants go in. That's it!

C

CALI FARMER

I use Botanicare bricks, the big ones. I add one 5 gallon bucket of hot tap water, which is the perfect amount to hydrate it. Then, when I transplant I water with 2-3x as much nutrient solution as a normal watering to give it a good rinse as the plants go in. That's it!
Thanks for the reply. I’m not using the brick type I’m sure they are the same but I bought a 50L bag of canna. 2-3 times the nutrient solution?

hyzerflip

hyzerflip

Thanks for the reply. I’m not using the brick type I’m sure they are the same but I bought a 50L bag of canna. 2-3 times the nutrient solution?

As far as I know Canna in the bag comes pre-rinsed and ready to go.

2-3x as much as you'd give during a normal watering. I usually water to 5-10% runoff during a normal watering.

gwheels

gwheels

My autopots require a 50 50 mix of coco with perlite or hydroton. ;) I might try one with just coco next time but so far so good with 50 50

hyzerflip

hyzerflip

My autopots require a 50 50 mix of coco with perlite or hydroton. ;) I might try one with just coco next time but so far so good with 50 50

Coco drains just as quickly as pure perlite would. Adding perlite isn't hurting anything other than your wallet and your free time.

C

CALI FARMER

Canna Coco is ready to use. Buffered PH and everything. The bricks are half the price but you add perlite so it is a good way to go if you don't mind the cost.
On the package label it says the EC is 0.6 and PH 5.5-7.0 using a 1:1.5 extraction. I don’t think I’ll use perlite because I want to see how canna coco works by itself. So with the canna it’s ready to use straight out of the bag? No need to buffer, what about calmag doesn’t it need tons of it.

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

On the package label it says the EC is 0.6 and PH 5.5-7.0 using a 1:1.5 extraction. I don’t think I’ll use perlite because I want to see how canna coco works by itself. So with the canna it’s ready to use straight out of the bag? No need to buffer, what about calmag doesn’t it need tons of it.
Why not make up a known solution .Say 6.0. Send it through the media and measure what comes ouut the other side ..duh...then u know

hyzerflip

hyzerflip

That's what buffering is, adding calcium and magnesium to fill the cation bank so it's ready to use.

You don't need to do anything other than put your plants in it and water with your normal nutrient solution.

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

Sorry seems like common sense. Some people dont have je ne sais quoi. U have grown in rockwool?

C

CALI FARMER

Sorry seems like common sense. Some people dont have je ne sais quoi. U have grown in rockwool?
Yeah most all my grows have been in rockwool. But since I came to thcfarmers, I been reading about coco and thought I’d give it a try. Seems a bit harder than rockwool. I’m sure it’s me not understanding it. I’m about to put the coco away and just use rockwool. Let me ask you this, So When I make a known solution say 0.6ec do I have to ph the solution before I send it through? To know exactly what I’m working with.

P

Poison.Ivy

I like it only Coco adding perlite will just make you water it more often nothing else in my oppinion

Top Bottom