Washing smart pots......

• Thread starter Mississip Hip
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

at a laundry mat is WRONG!

People wash their kids school clothes there folks.

My buddy amd I talked about this yesterday so I decided to post my opinion. I almost seems like a joke to growers around here. Lots do it.

Please.:)

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

guilty here, but was only option. i was however courteous enough to hose them thoroughly first, then make sure washer is clean afterward.

honestly i just do it for sterilizing with their ridiculously hot water, and front loaders are beefy enough to handle it. more worried about picking up bugs from kids at the lmat than the other way around..

and btw, ezroots frames without the liner eliminate all that trouble, labor saving tip sponsored by our buddy Dankworth, too bad they don't come in mongo-sizes.

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

I put mine in a barrel full of scalding water and pour 2 gallons of vinegar in .....stir with a 2x4 and rinse well

The vinegar and warm water break all the salts up and the crazy ph sterilizes everything.

Just takes a little work;)

Would you wash your kids clothes after you got thru washing your smart pots?

If so why not wash them at your house?...lol..

Its all good....its just....this is stuff that gives us all a bad name.

IMHO, as always

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

I wash mine at home.. But like El C. Said I rinse them with the water hose 1st & most of the coco comes off then put them in the washing machine with some bleach & there good 2 go..

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

I wash mine at home.. But like El C. Said I rinse them with the water hose 1st & most of the coco comes off then put them in the washing machine with some bleach & there good 2 go..

Cool! Somebody told me that bleach would break down the material they are made from. (no expert!, mind you...lol) . But thats why I went with vinegar. Bleach was the first thing I thought about using.

Do you see the bleach doing anything to the material?

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

Cool! Somebody told me that bleach would break down the material they are made from. (no expert!, mind you...lol) . But thats why I went with vinegar. Bleach was the first thing I thought about using.

Do you see the bleach doing anything to the material?
I've washed them 2 times already so this is my 3rd run with them & everything seems great they look almost new 2 me..

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

i would if i had washer at my house, but totally see where you're coming from. more of a security risk than anything imo.

no obvious effects from bleach here (super beefy ones), but guessing you're probably right on long-term durtability. really like the vinegar idea, much more eco/health-friendly than bleach, will have to try next time for sure.

dankworth

dankworth

Dang El, you are on it! Thanks for spreading the joy of these things.
They really need to kick out 10, 15, 20, and 25 gal versions of these things.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Just a thought but how do you clean a potting bed? You don't, you feed some zym or teas at the beginning and it breaks shit down, unless your infested with root bugs I see no reason than to simply shake the smart pot and replant...imo

KitsapGrapeApe

KitsapGrapeApe

thats kinda where i've gotten to lately, i'm trying to put less energy into this where i can.... not saying be lazy but do some thinigs that save me some time and energy like trellis instead of stake, just ripping the main rootmass out of my coco and going right back in..

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

I use cheap weed cloth at the bottom of my planters. When I change soil I replace it. Its cheap.

I dont leave it in there for the same reason I clean my pots. Indoors there is not a good balance of nature. Its easy for a bug or bacteria or spore to gain a foothold with no natural predators and go wild.

What about salt build up on the outside of the pots? Some folks have that as an issue

I clean everything in my room between runs.

Souly209

Souly209

Okay I just bought about 13 fabric pots off a grower. they look like s*** bunch of white calcium build up on the edge so i beat them and shook as hard and good as I could lol I threw them in the washer with about maybe a tablespoon or two of bleach, just slowly ppured for about 2-3 seconds and the same about a swig of rubbing alcohol and regular dawn soap on a delicate wash. I thought i might have to do this a few times to get them like new which is what im aiming for if not just completely free of buildup

Souly209

Souly209

I use cheap weed cloth at the bottom of my planters. When I change soil I replace it. Its cheap.

I dont leave it in there for the same reason I clean my pots. Indoors there is not a good balance of nature. Its easy for a bug or bacteria or spore to gain a foothold with no natural predators and go wild.

What about salt build up on the outside of the pots? Some folks have that as an issue

I clean everything in my room between runs.
thats kinda where i've gotten to lately, i'm trying to put less energy into this where i can.... not saying be lazy but do some thinigs that save me some time and energy like trellis instead of stake, just ripping the main rootmass out of my coco and going right back in..
DW's ezroots:

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
I soak mine in the bathtub with bleach,pinesol and dish soap. Then I rinse them very well and into the washing machine 2x and then dryer.

I've got pots I've used 6-8x at least.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Throw them in the bath tub and add a cup of bleach... let them sit for an hour... empty the tub then refill to rinse... then dry and use.. or just use them.

Souly209

Souly209

Alright thanks yall. They came out looking great. Now i just need a bag of coco tomorrow and they're going in their perm. homes! Thanks guys

Latest posts

Top Bottom