Water Channeling In Containers, Any Idea's On Fix??

• Thread starter jumpincactus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
So what led me to this post was busy today doing transplanting/up-potting for the girls and I always make sure I water the day before so the root ball and the soil stays in the shape of the existing pot for easier transplanting. What I noticed is there seemed to be only certain parts of the rootball and soil structure that were wet even down at the bottom of the pot in some areas. My questions is, does the water actually find or make established channels and therefor not allow a complete root ball /container wetting when doing watering. I hope that makes sense as posed.

I suspect the condition I found is due to channeling and now once you all confirm, what is the fix??? Is there a neutral surfactant or something I can use in organic grows that will allow the entire container to be wetted when watering.?

straincreation

straincreation

What does your outlet look like? Single water spicket. What i do is get my 1/4 inch tubing wrsp around my stem with an inch ir 2 to spare around ,and punch holes so that the water does not channel to one spot, instead it will spread over the medium evenly. If that makes sense, i believe they sell precut ring with holes in um already, but save some money and makenum yourself. Hope this makes sense, if i understand correct. channeling sounds to be the culprit . BOL
hqppy farmin;)

straincreation

straincreation

And also if you still run into prblems coco wet is a great nuetral surfacant. I use it for my foliars, and also for old soil that has lost iy water retention. Works wonders.
happy farmin;)

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
And also if you still run into prblems coco wet is a great nuetral surfacant. I use it for my foliars, and also for old soil that has lost iy water retention. Works wonders.
happy farmin;)
@straincreation I am hand watering with ole school water can. I make sure to evenly wet the entire surface of the exposed soil. Where do you source your coco wet from? I will use it for foliar also as I have noticed that now matter how fine I dial the nozzle when applying foliar treatments the water doesnt spread out evenly on the leaves and runs right off the leaf. I am aware that the smaller the droplets are it is better for the nutrient uptake thru the stomata.

Thanks for your help bro.

straincreation

straincreation

Welk that was how my old system worked. Im using a hand waterer on my garden now. Do you have any run off? If not what i like to do during my teas is fill the runnoff tray till its almost over flowing. Do all my plants and by the time i get to the last one the first one has sucked up the water then i pour the rest of the tea from the top. This way you know you are fully saturated. I like to let about a 1/4 inch of water sit on the bottom, anf if its not gone by morning i empty it. Coco wet i got from the hydro store last time for a bout 8 buck if not its on amazon for sure, if you need a link let me know.

And no problem bro if i can i will.
Happy farmin;)

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
This is why I like to bottom-water containers.
Ahhh the ole wet bottom thing going on. Sounds kinds intriguing. LOL. Sick man.
I know that some recommend more efficient watering using the bottom up method as the water wicks up thru the soil structure to the top of soil crown. I like @phoenixfire am curious how you @Seamaiden keep from getting your roots soggy. Do you bottom water then remove any excess water so the pots aren't sitting in water?

straincreation

straincreation

Your roots wont get soggy if you have healthy plants any excess will be absorbed by morn, as i stated above. If not then empty your tray in the morn. I do this with all my hand waterings, have never had soggy roots/soil. In my 10 years of doing this method. whether it be from out of the bag soil to well ammended organic soil.
Happy farmin;)

phoenixfire

phoenixfire

Your roots wont get soggy if you have healthy plants any excess will be absorbed by morn, as i stated above. If not then empty your tray in the morn. I do this with all my hand waterings, have never had soggy roots/soil. In my 10 years of doing this method. whether it be from out of the bag soil to well ammended organic soil.
Happy farmin;)
No comment

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Perzackly as @straincreation explains. :) Also, if you use a shallower tray, it'll be fair impossible to get the water level up to a point where it's going to create a really soggy scenario. Otherwise, you learn pretty quickly how much is enough and how much is too much.

MGRox

MGRox

I got a kick out of this question. xD. Back before I started reading and such (my old MG days) I DEPENDED on channeling and non-even wetting; if you can buy that. Heck, I would panic if it wasn't obvious that there was channeling :D
I know it may sound as if I would have had tons of issues, but it does work if a certain group of things are met.

I don't do that now since I've read about proper ways and such. +1 to drip rings as @straincreation suggested.

sorry to intrude

straincreation

straincreation

No comment
As in you dont under stand? After years of xp like @Seamaiden said you will learn real quickly how much water your plants need. My 2gal ammended soil takes 1/2 a gallon ebery 3rd day. I pour half down the tray do all my plants by the time i get to the last one the first one is absorbed mostly, then i pour the rest down the top. Easy as pie. If theres any excess as i stated above rid of it in the morning. 99%of the time if you got a heslthy root system there wont be any water by morning.
Happy farmin;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom