Water conditioners for Tap water?

• Thread starter EveryOneSmokes
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
EveryOneSmokes

EveryOneSmokes

Looking to start running tap water as opposed to RO water, was curious if there's any safe water conditioners out there?

Was thinking about using some aquarium tap water conditioners that remove chlorine, chlorimane, ammonia... But I'm a little hesitate as I believe it may also lock out the nitrates in the water when applying nutrients...
Anyone that has used something like this would like to hear your thoughts... I'm concerned about my bennies as i don't want to kill the herd... And would like to apply nutes right after the res is filled...

EveryOneSmokes

EveryOneSmokes

Jus bubble that shit for 24 hours first

I won't have the time as I want have them on a constant drip.. And im limited on space that a second res is not an option.. Plus I was reading the chloramine and ammonia will not dissipate by letting the water stand for a certain period, it is mentioned that it could take weeks for these two to out gas..

ttystikk

ttystikk

Ammonia IS nitrogen, in a different form, and plants don't mind it in small amounts. Hence, why grass is green around the pee spot.

To dissipate chloramine, add a pinch of sugar to the water. Sorry, you will have to find room and time to properly treat your water.

Research water conditioning carefully, a lot of them add more than they remove.

EveryOneSmokes

EveryOneSmokes

Thanks for the info.. I was looking up the conditioners and found they use sodium hydroxymethane sulfinate which is a known carcinogen... That takes that out of the equation.. Might just have to stick with the 24hr period and the sugar for the chloramine... As well as finding the space for a second res.. Or ill just say f' it and stick wit RO...

ttystikk

ttystikk

Thanks for the info.. I was looking up the conditioners and found they use sodium hydroxymethane sulfinate which is a known carcinogen... That takes that out of the equation.. Might just have to stick with the 24hr period and the sugar for the chloramine... As well as finding the space for a second res.. Or ill just say f' it and stick wit RO...

What is the ec of your tap water? If it's high, there isn't much point in doing anything but RO.

If it is high, then using the right water conditioner before your RO can help your RO filter last a lot longer. Check into that.

7thson

What about sodium thiosulfate?Removes chloramine.Only chlorine is removed when letting it sit and or bubble.I've read that adding organic matter helps dissipate chloramine when bubbling in a tea.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Good thread. Tap water varies so much from neighborhood to neighborhood (much more so town to town, state to state, etc) that there is going to be no perfect answer for everyone. I think water additives are eventually worse than the stuff they're supposed to "remove". I base that OPINION on the fact that "better living thru chemistry" is rarely the case in the end.
We have excellent tap in my area, yet it still can fluctuate like crazy when there's a main break, severe weather, etc.
If you always want a consistent base, if it's important that you know EXACTLY what is in your patients' meds, it's distilled or RO for the win.
Lots of ways to cheat, but be sure you know exactly what the "conditioner" is doing to your water.

EveryOneSmokes

EveryOneSmokes

What about sodium thiosulfate?Removes chloramine.Only chlorine is removed when letting it sit and or bubble.I've read that adding organic matter helps dissipate chloramine when bubbling in a tea.

Sodium thiosulfate, is used in the medical field and is not a non carcinogen, yet it is non to kill organisms, which will also kills your beneficial bacteria.. They uses it in hydrogen peroxide as well...

Good thread. Tap water varies so much from neighborhood to neighborhood (much more so town to town, state to state, etc) that there is going to be no perfect answer for everyone. I think water additives are eventually worse than the stuff they're supposed to "remove". I base that OPINION on the fact that "better living thru chemistry" is rarely the case in the end.
We have excellent tap in my area, yet it still can fluctuate like crazy when there's a main break, severe weather, etc.
If you always want a consistent base, if it's important that you know EXACTLY what is in your patients' meds, it's distilled or RO for the win.
Lots of ways to cheat, but be sure you know exactly what the "conditioner" is doing to your water.

Very true Altitudefarmer, I considerwhat goes into my meds, which is the reason why I posed the question.. I have notice the fluctuation of my water as well and would like to find a better solution without the need of my RO machine, but looks like there isn't any in the case...

What is the ec of your tap water? If it's high, there isn't much point in doing anything but RO.

If it is high, then using the right water conditioner before your RO can help your RO filter last a lot longer. Check into that.

I'm at .7 ec roughly 490-520 ppm, going thru my RO system I can get it down to 10-50ppm... Im thinking there's no other option for me...

I found this product that may help but still need more research.. The product is called Start Right water conditioner which uses Allantoin, which is used as skin protect for humans, as well as in water conditioner for aquariums.. The product is safe for bacteria and plants...

Not sure tho still hesitant...

7thson

It's also used for aquariums and pools etc.I know about the H2o2 killing bennies.I'm only repeating what I've read.

Do you mean in the h2o,or the soil?(killing bennies).

For the record; I only use ro h2o,but I've also used tap with a bubble and added organics for act.I did not notice any ill affects on any of my plants,quit the opposite.

This is why I've considered switching to this method.

I have talked to others on differernt forums on this matter and one thing I have noticed is that I don't use anything but straight h20 on all my outdoor plants.Funny thing is they are all very healthy,for just using regular h20.

So it really makes me think about this.

EveryOneSmokes

EveryOneSmokes

It's also used for aquariums and pools etc.I know about the H2o2 killing bennies.I'm only repeating what I've read.

Do you mean in the h2o,or the soil?(killing bennies).

Sodium thiosulfate, can kill bennies..

I have a buddy of mine that has been using tap water throughout with great success and very nice root growth.. Nice pearly whites and dank ass meds, he made the switch few runs back and hasn't looked back... But his water is definitely better than mine..

EveryOneSmokes

EveryOneSmokes

After I get the city's water report might do an experimental run..

Hope things work out.. Might not use a conditioner at all just to see if I get good results..

I have heard of a few people using them on other forums, but I haven't read anything really supporting the use..

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Looking to start running tap water as opposed to RO water, was curious if there's any safe water conditioners out there?

Was thinking about using some aquarium tap water conditioners that remove chlorine, chlorimane, ammonia... But I'm a little hesitate as I believe it may also lock out the nitrates in the water when applying nutrients...
Anyone that has used something like this would like to hear your thoughts... I'm concerned about my bennies as i don't want to kill the herd... And would like to apply nutes right after the res is filled...
If it's treated with chloramine *or* chlorine, your best, safest, CHEAPEST means to the end is to get yourself a 2lb tub of sodium thiosulfate for $5 from the chemistry store dot com. You can either mix up a 3% solution and use it at the rate of about 1tsp/gal (just like aquarium dechlorinator), or you can sprinkle a few granules into the water to be dechlorinated. I think it's a far cheaper, if not as organic solution to the problem as opposed to... aw jeez, not citric acid is it? Another acid the name of which I'm forgetting completely right now. Fuck. Gah! I hate when that happens? It's been a very busy week, still in recuperation mode. Sodium thiosulfate--it's what the aquarium professionals use.

If ST killed 'bennies' then no one keeping a reef tank or Ammiano-style planted system would let it anywhere near 'em. It's used extensively at public aquariums, in the hobby, professionally--because it's cheap and it works and it works in conjunction with biological filtration. You can use it on corals, bivalves, sponges, tunicates, sharks skates and rays--and these are among the most delicate organisms we keep in boxes of water. My contention is that sodium thiosulfate does not, in my extensive (and I mean extensive) aquatic experience keeping delicate living things, kill the microbes we rely upon to keep them alive for extended periods of time without water changes in a closed system.

If you want to learn more about what I'm talking about, look into a book called The Natural Marine Aquarium--Reef Invertebrates. It's a book I was involved with and I feel it's a great read and method to reef or just marine fishkeeping.

EveryOneSmokes

EveryOneSmokes

If it's treated with chloramine *or* chlorine, your best, safest, CHEAPEST means to the end is to get yourself a 2lb tub of sodium thiosulfate for $5 from the chemistry store dot com. You can either mix up a 3% solution and use it at the rate of about 1tsp/gal (just like aquarium dechlorinator), or you can sprinkle a few granules into the water to be dechlorinated. I think it's a far cheaper, if not as organic solution to the problem as opposed to... aw jeez, not citric acid is it? Another acid the name of which I'm forgetting completely right now. Fuck. Gah! I hate when that happens? It's been a very busy week, still in recuperation mode. Sodium thiosulfate--it's what the aquarium professionals use.

If ST killed 'bennies' then no one keeping a reef tank or Ammiano-style planted system would let it anywhere near 'em. It's used extensively at public aquariums, in the hobby, professionally--because it's cheap and it works and it works in conjunction with biological filtration. You can use it on corals, bivalves, sponges, tunicates, sharks skates and rays--and these are among the most delicate organisms we keep in boxes of water. My contention is that sodium thiosulfate does not, in my extensive (and I mean extensive) aquatic experience keeping delicate living things, kill the microbes we rely upon to keep them alive for extended periods of time without water changes in a closed system.

If you want to learn more about what I'm talking about, look into a book called The Natural Marine Aquarium--Reef Invertebrates. It's a book I was involved with and I feel it's a great read and method to reef or just marine fishkeeping.

Thanks Sea for dropping by, I stand corrected I'm not sure where I read this, I believe it was on a msds sheet... But I have been going back and forth looking for a solution...

Being that your using sodium thiosulfate, what is left in the water after the reaction?
Trying to understand the process..

What do you think about Allantoin, to remove chlorine and chloramine?

Definitely will look into your recommendation, I have a fresh water aquarium and would be interested in learning more about marine aquariums...

Thanks again for the knowledge...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ah, I don't have to treat my well water except to filter it. I am not familiar with Allantoin, it sounds like a component of lanolin, or a French guy. EDIT* Oh jeez, it's used primarily in cosmetics, no wonder I made that association. ST is used to a great degree in various medical treatments.

What's left after using ST depends on what was used by your water muni to address contamination. If it was chlorine, then it neutralizes the chlorine and oxidizes (itself, so to speak) into sulfates, IIRC. If it's chloramine, then one component leftover from the reaction should be ammonia (NH4+/-). In fishkeeping this is a problem, especially with more delicate organisms as I mentioned previously, but in plant cultivation? Not so much!

Remember, you mix up the dry ST into a very extremely dilute solution, you can go with 1% if you feel more comfortable there instead of 3%, and then you treat the water from there. Once it's reacted, that's it, it's done.

A great website for learning about ALL sorts/types of fishkeeping is wetwebmedia.com. Bob F is an old friend of mine, and the crew he surrounds himself with are usually topnotch fishpeople.

Top Bottom