water cooled gardens

• Thread starter water wise guy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

Chillville

Premium Member
Supporter
It says at the top, minimum circuit ampacity. This doesn't mean that's what the chiller uses, this means that is what the minimum electrical circuit needs to be. You would never recommend a circuit at what the chiller uses, there is always a percentage over that you want. So in other words these amperages that you listed are much more than the chiller actually uses.

Also if you were using the pump for other things as well, then that shouldn't count against the systems efficiency as a whole. Even still I doubt that you would have needed a 1hp pump. If you were supplying less than 10 ports the 1/3 would be more than enough.

The specs that you supplied are for chiller AND pump, self contained models.

BTW any compressor uses more amperage on startup than it does when its running. The maximum amp draw is only for seconds and then it drops down to roughly 60-75% of the rating. The rating for a 2 hp chiller is 1100 watts on startup and around 900 watts when running. Your a/c will use less after startup as well.

W

water wise guy

Is Watercooled still around??

for the people that know yes it is and running stronger than ever. i would like to see someone do a side by side test air cooled versus watercooled. the whole system not just the lights and see how much energy can be saved using water. i know it saves power and is more efficient but i want to see side by side how many kwh used from start to finish and what the difference in the yields are.

T

Test Master

i think he's asking about the member Watercooled lol

Ding, ding, ding...!! We have a winner. LoL.

Yeah... I was wondering what happened to "Watercooled" the member. I use to talk to him quite a bit in PM's. Havent heard from him in a couple months though.

Watercooled systems sound awesome though... I just wouldnt run a water cooled system. Seems like way too much plumbing....hoses..... chillers... wells.... massive water pumps.... etc. I seen someone on here talking about the wattage of just a chiller... but what people are forgetting is that a really massive water pump needs to be used to pump all that water through all the plumbing. So between the water pumps, the chillers, all the plumbing, hoses, condensation... etc.... I'd rather just run a good old fashioned Air Conditioner..... To me.. simple is better. Thats just my two cents... for whatever its worth.

Anyway.. "Watercooled" the member... PM me if your ever on this site... Im currently under a different handle (on this site) due to some security issues.....

C

Chillville

Premium Member
Supporter
Ding, ding, ding...!! We have a winner. LoL.

Yeah... I was wondering what happened to "Watercooled" the member. I use to talk to him quite a bit in PM's. Havent heard from him in a couple months though.

Watercooled systems sound awesome though... I just wouldnt run a water cooled system. Seems like way too much plumbing....hoses..... chillers... wells.... massive water pumps.... etc. I seen someone on here talking about the wattage of just a chiller... but what people are forgetting is that a really massive water pump needs to be used to pump all that water through all the plumbing. So between the water pumps, the chillers, all the plumbing, hoses, condensation... etc.... I'd rather just run a good old fashioned Air Conditioner..... To me.. simple is better. Thats just my two cents... for whatever its worth.

Anyway.. "Watercooled" the member... PM me if your ever on this site... Im currently under a different handle (on this site) due to some security issues.....

Well that makes more sense lol. I have seen his posts in the past but not lately.

I understand your reasons for not going water-cooled and most of them make sense to me. But however about the energy efficiency I just can't agree. Chillking can get 3 tons of cooling and a 6000 GPH pump to run off of 10 amps 220v, that's unbelievable. I don't think that you can actually get 3 tons of cooling from double that with an a/c! Just my two cents :)

W

watercooled

Lots of reading these days. ;-)

Watercooled definitely has it's benefits and huge ones under the right circumstances. Sometimes people don't understand them.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Update:
Earlier in this thread I discussed the water cooled system I'd built to handle my rooms and RDWC.

Yes, it's a bit more a of a pain to set up the water lines and such to move the water around. Yes, it's true you don't generally need a reservoir for your AC unit. Yes, the initial cost will be higher, due to buying things like Ice Boxes, hose, etc.

Benefits? Chillville has covered the efficiency angle, and I can second that. Also, while a lot of people complain about excess complexity with water chilling, I can't agree with their assessment. First, I don't ever have to mess with freon lines, because all that stays in the chiller. Second, I only have one cooling plant that runs everything. No AC unit can cool my RDWC and several rooms all at the same time. Third, I put the chiller in a spare room and it provides most of the heat for my whole house! In Colorado! In December! The best part is that I can run a hose or two to anyplace I want cooling, for any purpose, and bam! there it is, no additional AC unit required.

Always keep in mind that a cooling system doesn't cool anything. All it does is move the heat from where it isn't wanted to someplace where it doesn't matter. The more efficiently the system can do that, the better. Water works better to move heat than air does, therefore it's a better solution to the problem of moving heat. Period.

M

MTgrower

I absolutely love my water cooled gardens. Awesome performance.

johnnyrex

johnnyrex

It says at the top, minimum circuit ampacity. This doesn't mean that's what the chiller uses, this means that is what the minimum electrical circuit needs to be. You would never recommend a circuit at what the chiller uses, there is always a percentage over that you want. So in other words these amperages that you listed are much more than the chiller actually uses.

Also if you were using the pump for other things as well, then that shouldn't count against the systems efficiency as a whole. Even still I doubt that you would have needed a 1hp pump. If you were supplying less than 10 ports the 1/3 would be more than enough.

The specs that you supplied are for chiller AND pump, self contained models.

BTW any compressor uses more amperage on startup than it does when its running. The maximum amp draw is only for seconds and then it drops down to roughly 60-75% of the rating. The rating for a 2 hp chiller is 1100 watts on startup and around 900 watts when running. Your a/c will use less after startup as well.

Chillville I just received an email from hydro innovation that 2hp chiller
it's about 3500 watts (depending on the voltage you're
running at) peak, runs at about 70% of that. That's the reason I changed my mind on the chiller or I am still on the fence about it we're did you get that info about 2hp chillking 1100watts that would make me buy one right now lol thanks

Top Bottom