Water Cooled HID's? Fresca Sol

• Thread starter thcnology
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

thcnology

Anybody actually using these? Honestly, I've been thinking about it here, I grow in a very hot climate and the way I see it there is no way around it if I want to use CO2, there down to $250 now, and they will slide right into my DaystarAC6" Hoods?

P

ProGroWannabe

The only ones I've seen require a water chiller. Gotta figure in a few hundred bucks for one of those if your talking about the same water-cooled lights that I saw. Otherwise...if ya got the dough...go for it! I'd love to see a grow done with one.

P

ProGroWannabe

If you decide to get one, be sure to show it off a little here at the farm!

B

budleydoright

I know this is an old one but here's my .02

i installed a Fresca Sol a few weeks ago, i got the entire unit with reflector for 300.00 shipped. Purchased a 100 gal industrial trash container at Lowes for 100.00 along with a 60.00 pump and some 1/2" hose. This thing has been working flawlesly.
I'm runnning a 1000w HPS 18/6 on it. the water temps in the 100 gal res are starting to get up over 90 when it's hot out, the light though is still cool to the touch though.
with the summer months upon us and the prospect of adding additional units it was decided that it was time for a chiller.

Last night, we took a 100.00 window a/c unit and converted it into a chiller. My rez is now under 70 with the temp control @ about 60%.

i basically have 600.00 in this reflector, chiller, pump, rez setup. Compared to the 400.00 i spent on a cool tube and 8" fan, it's a bargin.

The lack of fan noise is incredible and will facilitate a whole new level of stealthiness, which will open up this hobby to thousands more!

ShortStackz

ShortStackz

I think you would be better off with a air cooled hood & AC. With the water cooled light you gotta do extra plumbing plus a chiller. Should just keep it simple

B

Badmf

Not to mention the reduction in lumens. Next build I am going bare bulb and just increase the A/C. But I will switch all 1k's for 6's so it won't melt the place, lol.

T

tophmaster

rather air cool and ac as well seems like the loss of lumens isnt worth it. but would love to see the set up, interesting

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

I just don't see the point in using an A/C to cool your lights. It's a big waste of electricity. Run air cooling at night or use water cooled lamps. If you've got a well or cistern on your property you can water cool the lights with it. No heat signature for the copters, no loud fans, it's pretty stealthy. The outside of the lamp never gets over 85 if you're cooling it properly. you can move your plants much, much closer to the light. It's all a compromise.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

You guys should check this out
It speaks for itself. Don't know if it's exactly for me, but the cooling is unmistakable.

Widowmaker

Widowmaker

You guys should check this out
It speaks for itself. Don't know if it's exactly for me, but the cooling is unmistakable.

Coxie's grow should show how well water cooled works! I've measured 14% loss of lumens on my Liquid Lumens fixture but I can get the light to 6" from the plants so the loss doesn't matter. I drained the water out of the fixture while measuring the lumen's and the level didn't change much at all. So I'm thinking its the 2 pieces of glass that reduce the lumen's not the water. Cool tubes and any air cooled fixture with glass is going to have lumen loss.

But your not home free, You still have to get rid of the humidity that the plants transpire.
:icon_spin:

B

budleydoright

Water cooled isn't for everyone. For some of us it's the only way to go. My setup wouldn't be possible without them.

C

cheech

like another farmer mentioned, this would be pretty kick ass on a well setup. no chiller. just the frescas some pumps and pex pipe. that would drastically reduce the amount of ac you would need to cool and dehumidify your space.

for now it's air cooled lights for me. but i have to say i have a 3 light vert bare bulb room and a 4 light vert cool tube room and the bare bulb room seems to be much brighter to the point that i have to wonder if 4 lights with glass around them is more efficient then 3 bare bulbs. it is comforting to know you won't be burnt by a bulb though.

P

phase

If I might add some "green input": While we are extracting most of the heat from the bulb, why not put that heat to use to save us money, instead of spending more money trying to rid ourselves of it? Think about this for a minute, why would you dump that heat outside or, to make it even more insane, run air conditioners to remove that heat, in turn spending more money to rid yourself of a resource that you will inevitably pay again for later on...

Install a simple boiler, perhaps an old electric boiler for which the components broke down and circulate the water contained within through the Fresca Sol / Liquid Lumens lighting armature. Hook up the boiler between your cold water feed and your regular hot water kettle/boiler. Cold water will first flow through this boiler and then to your water heating system.

Hence, the heat extracted from the bulb will pre-heat your hot water supply, in turn minimizing the amount of energy (fuel/electricity) spent to heat up your hot water to the required temperature.

Don't struggle to remove that heat, it's precious! Do you fancy burning gas, oil or paying for electricity to heat that water and remove the heat from your grow room instead? Just move the heat around to where you can use it, your op will become ĂĽber-stealthy and your utilities bill will be lower than ever with those hundreds to thousands of Watts of heat at your disposal! ;)

F

fondiz

liquid lumen

I want to see pictures of a water cooled setup done right at someone's OP. I understand the fundamentals of it. can you really put the lights that much closer to the plants? does it make that much of a difference?

P

piscesaquarist

I want to see pictures of a water cooled setup done right at someone's OP. I understand the fundamentals of it. can you really put the lights that much closer to the plants? does it make that much of a difference?

You can touch the tubes with your bare hands it's unbelievable how cool they run. although I have 310 gallon cooling tank and a 2hp chiller

IMG_092.JPG

IMG_10261.JPG

F

fondiz

Do you think a 105 gal res with 1/2 hp chiller will be enough to run 2 1k liquid lumen reflectors?

DrCALIGREENTHUM

DrCALIGREENTHUM

Sick setup

You can touch the tubes with your bare hands it's unbelievable how cool they run. although I have 310 gallon cooling tank and a 2hp chiller

IMG_092.JPG

IMG_10261.JPG

Thats a hella tight setup bro im interested in the water cooled hoods too. let me get this straight tho your running like what 14 1ks? or they less? off of a 300 gal tank? thats F-IN crazy:clapping. So Its average your running like 5 per 100 gal?

Keep It Green-Doc

P

piscesaquarist

Thats a hella tight setup bro im interested in the water cooled hoods too. let me get this straight tho your running like what 14 1ks? or they less? off of a 300 gal tank? thats F-IN crazy:clapping. So Its average your running like 5 per 100 gal?

Keep It Green-Doc

16 1k's off of a 310 gallon res and a 2hp chiller and a 5ton a/c, chiller is in the room, water gets to about 95 degrees but that's it..I'm running an aeroponic setup this is after only two days of growth, this is also my first run
IMG_10391.JPG

Top Bottom