Water is too cold

• Thread starter St3ve
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
St3ve

St3ve

Thats right.. I spend all this time planning and got my new chiller hooked up and ready to go for my first run. Come to find out that my water won't get above 64F so of course I don't need the chiller. I'm sure things will change come summer but its too cold for now. The room temps are high of 78F and low of about 64F. whats causing it is the passive air intake is RIGHT next to two of the sites and THAT air coming in is 54F.

So, any efficient ways to get the temp of the water up? I looked at aquarium heaters but I'd need a 200w one and that just seems like a lot of electricity. If I was going to burn more electricity I'd want it towards the lights. I thought about moving some reflectix down and aiming it towards the pvc or something.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

Your water temps will warm up as the mag drive pumps and air pumps run constantly. Maybe put elbows on your passive air intake to shoot the air strait up or off to the side so it doesnt dirctly hit your modules if your temps still arent to your liking.

St3ve

St3ve

Wow.. talk about over thinking something. Of all the weird things I've been thinking of I can't believe it didn't occur to me to just reroute the intake. I feel foolish. That will probably work I'm sure so thank you.

and I thought the water pumps and air pump would warm it up too but its been a week now and the temp is just sitting there at around 63-64F.

thanks again

Z

ziggy1

Finnex digital aquarium heater is how i keep my reservoir at temperature

R

RMCG

Add a 300w res heater if you need to. It will run for a few hours and shut off.

I've got mine set to the lowest setting (62*) as it comes out of the tap in the 40's.

It hovers in the mid sixties with the lights on, but when the lights go off, I am glad I've got an additional heat source in the res. Still cheaper than a space heater or something.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

I have well water an it's always at 55 so I use a heater to get it up there.

St3ve

St3ve

I hear you about keeping it simple, I was just trying to come up with a way to save $$. I'm tired of throwing electricity at everything and since there is alot of heat being generated from other things I was hoping to do it passively.

No budgoggles, mine does not have a heater built in.

thanks guys for the help. I rerouted the cold air thats coming in and so far its up to 66F so we're heading in the right direction.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Thats right.. I spend all this time planning and got my new chiller hooked up and ready to go for my first run. Come to find out that my water won't get above 64F so of course I don't need the chiller. I'm sure things will change come summer but its too cold for now. The room temps are high of 78F and low of about 64F. whats causing it is the passive air intake is RIGHT next to two of the sites and THAT air coming in is 54F.

So, any efficient ways to get the temp of the water up? I looked at aquarium heaters but I'd need a 200w one and that just seems like a lot of electricity. If I was going to burn more electricity I'd want it towards the lights. I thought about moving some reflectix down and aiming it towards the pvc or something.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
I'd go with a waterbed heating mat. Wait, I have gone with a waterbed heating mat! Small footprint, goes under the res, adjustable, rocks it when it's too cold. I use mine to keep my RO/DI water warmed up in the trash cans I use for storage.

About $50-$55 off eBay, shipped.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Maybe you can tell me the difference between the mats sold for soft-side and hard-sided water beds. I was amazed that anyone even still has a water bed anymore. Tres 70s!

R

RMCG

Maybe you can tell me the difference between the mats sold for soft-side and hard-sided water beds. I was amazed that anyone even still has a water bed anymore. Tres 70s!

Honestly, I didn't know there ~was~ a difference? I ~had~ soft and hard sided 'back in the day' HAHAHAA I couldn't imagine sleeping on one of those things today! I would need a bedside chiropractor to get me out of bed every morning.

F

FatFreddysKat

yeah not to mention Dramamine (?spelling) to stop the sea sickness....when I met my wife 21 years ago she still had her waterbed from the 70's, and was in use till we moved out of that house....havent been on 1 since...was a pita to have sex on for sure...too many cramps,strains, and pulled muscles!!!!Sorry tmi!!!!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
ROFL! I've got somma those pulled muscles right now, cramping up all weekend and then some. Normal bed, though. Hrm...

I can't scuba dive without using the Transderm patch. Otherwise, I may get seasick at depth. Have you ever tried to vomit 60' under water? My advice--don't try it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom