water level(5gal DWC)

• Thread starter raidernation20
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

raidernation20

hey ive got a 5gallon DWC set up, the roots are lookin nice and long about 2-3 inches out of the netpot. how low am i suppost to keep the water level???ive heard a couple different things from diff ppl. should the longer root ends be in the water or should they not be touching the water at all??? plz help me

D

DSMREAPER

The most general answer I hear, is to have the water level about an inch or so below where the net cup sits. Hope this helps, also, any one chime in if my info is wrong.

T

topcat76239

ok so when you first put the cut in you want the level generally a good inch - inch and a half or so under the netcup but to the point where the bottom of netcup is still kept damp but not soaked. this helps promote rapid root growth cause they wont get so lazy as if they were too wet. once the roots exit bottom of netcup as you have descibed the roots should be submerged YES! that is the whole point. once the first bit of root hits the water under the cup the plant truly enters veg stage and wil begin exploding roots out of the cup. at this point its generally ok to raise water level to just under the netcup once they become established if you want.

the operating theory is that more water per girl = more root space = more yield pretty much

M

Mr.Detroit

I set mine right at the bottom of the netpot (4 gal of water) until I see a few long roots then I lower it to 2" below the netpot (3 gal of water) and top off when it falls to 3"... It stays like that for the rest of the grow.

mandalaman

mandalaman

I've come to the conclusion (which may be wrong) that as long as your solution has enough DO you should be good to go. I thought that was the whole point. I am interested in hearing why I'm wrong. But fundamentally that's where my head goes.

FennarioMike

FennarioMike

http://cch2o.com/under-current-instructions/

Page 31 - it's a PDF file. But this is what I'm going with after having root issues in that air gap space. It makes sense now too - as long as it's got plenty of O2, the roots basking in the nutrient solution keeps them clean and healthy. While it's dangling in an air gap, I'm thinking that it's not going to be exchanging as much nutrients and water as it could if it were submerged.

Also bottom line for me... I had issues when the levels were below the net pot. I followed UC's directions, now the roots are healthy. On other forums people have basically called me stupid for keeping the levels this high. One guy swears that it's a design flaw and that all Under Current systems will fail because of this. Ok...

This is what I've found works for me.

visajoe1

visajoe1

http://cch2o.com/under-current-instructions/

Page 31 - it's a PDF file. But this is what I'm going with after having root issues in that air gap space. It makes sense now too - as long as it's got plenty of O2, the roots basking in the nutrient solution keeps them clean and healthy. While it's dangling in an air gap, I'm thinking that it's not going to be exchanging as much nutrients and water as it could if it were submerged.

Also bottom line for me... I had issues when the levels were below the net pot. I followed UC's directions, now the roots are healthy. On other forums people have basically called me stupid for keeping the levels this high. One guy swears that it's a design flaw and that all Under Current systems will fail because of this. Ok...

This is what I've found works for me.

I find it hard to believe a 3" difference in water level can cause/prevent rot. What water temps do you run? My levels drop as much as 5" below the pot and they are happy and healthy

FennarioMike

FennarioMike

I find it hard to believe a 3" difference in water level can cause/prevent rot. What water temps do you run? My levels drop as much as 5" below the pot and they are happy and healthy
I didn't say that's what CAUSED the problem, but that it exasperated one. My temps had gone up and an air pump had become dislodged and I didn't have adequate disinfection in the rez - the roots in that space got hit immediately. Current Culture recommends 2"above the net pots, that's what I'm going with, and roots are great.

Top Bottom