Water Pump Heat Generation

• Thread starter hiimhere
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
hiimhere

hiimhere

I'm setting up and trying to dial in my RDWC system. I'm wondering what intervals people use for their water pumps to minimize the temperature increase in the reservoir.

How long does it seem to take for the water pumps to generate any significant amount of heat?

How long does it take the water pumps to cool back down before they can be restarted again?

What is the optimal interval to generate the most circulation with the least heat?

I apologize in advance if you guys were capable of finding these answers with a quick search. I gave an honest effort to search on google to find these answers before bothering you guys to no avail. :party0044:

Papa

Papa

Supporter
hiimhere, additional information about your grow would help out. what style are you using, how large is your grow, gallons of water, size pump, etc.

hiimhere

hiimhere

Sorry, let me provide more information. I was really looking for people's findings in their own environment so I have some idea of where to start with mine.

Style is RDWC
gallons of water is ~ 40
running two pumps, one for tufting the reservoir and one for circulation,
EcoPlus 264 is the main one for circulation
EcoPlus 185 for tufting

hiimhere

hiimhere

66 Views and only one response. Should I have posted this in the advanced forum? Isn't there someone on this forum that runs intervals on their submersible pump?

O

OCDgrower

I use a chiller in the summer when the temps shoot up. In the winter it's not a problem. The night temps stay cool enough to cool the res for the duration of the day. The chiller can be used all year though—to keep that perfectly steady 68°. I have an old chiller from an aquarium store, and It also has a pump—works awesome. You can mount the chiller 20 feet away if you want—keep it under the house!

Papa

Papa

Supporter
i have a 1800gph, a 950gph, and a 350gph in about 100 gallons and the chiller takes care of it. most folks that i know that run dwc of your scale go for a chiller, it solves a lot of problems. in fact, i don't know anyone running 80 gallons of dwc without a chiller . . . i think that's why you haven't gotten responses.

hiimhere

hiimhere

Ok great, thanks for the responses!! Saving for a chiller now, was hoping for something else in the mean time to alleviate some woes. I'm working on prototyping a grow room automation system of sorts and have capabilities of making interval timers of any times. I guess a little trial and error for now will do.

Papa

Papa

Supporter
keep an eye on craigslist. i see them pop up there often. a 1/4hp unit will be more than enough for you.

Top Bottom