Water Quality - Do I need RO

• Thread starter FourPlants
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
FourPlants

FourPlants

Setting up DWC and debating if I should add RO. To start off, let me say it isn't a budgetary issue. I have a RODI system in my garage from my salt water reef days, I can actually refilter it for RO only or just buy a cheap 75GPD setup. The issue is I would rather not deal with it if I don't have to. I have very clean water where I live.

Tested my PPM at 115. I have also attached the official annual water quality results.

Thanks for all the assistance.

water.jpg

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Absolutely fine to use.

Imo chlorine is nothing to worry about and this is something that came from the aquatic hobby. While some fish are irritated by low concentrations its a micronutrient for plants.

The max allowable for drinking water is 4ppm and rarely do you ever see over 2ppm (maybe during spring runoff season. The only concern I would ever consider is using it in a tea as bacteria are sensitive to it but when added to media it reacts quickly with any organic matter and is destroyed in the reaction.

But chlorine is not just chlorine and most water supplies have now switch to chloramine (as has your water supply) which is a strong bond between ammonia and chlorine that last for a long time. It cannot be off gassed like free chlorine and can take weeks to dissipate through aeration because of that string bond.

If using tap with chloromines and worried about it you can add 1 gram per gal of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) to break the bond from the chloramine per ppm of chloramine and then aerate but imo there is no need unless using for a tea brew.

Just to add not all RO units remove chlorine. It's the activated carbon that will but only if the dwell time and quality of the carbon is adequate... not all carbon is created equal.

With suck low alkalinity (40 ish ppm) you may need to add more to keep a stable ph ideally about 75ppm of alkalinity is a nice spot to be at.

FourPlants

FourPlants

I was hoping your would chime in Aqua Man. Your advice backs up what I was thinking and provides me with some improvement steps as well.

Thank you. I'm sure I will be looking to you and others as I delve deeper down the rabbit hole.

Top Bottom