Water Source Testing

• Thread starter MrMIMedPot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

MrMIMedPot

I am having issues with plants dying 3-4 weeks after being put into bloom. NOTHING in my environment has changed (CO2, Nutes, RH, Air temp, etc). I suspect the water source is the issue.

I am going to be installing a 5 micron sediment filter, chlorine filter, and UV sterilizer right after the water meter in a few days.

In the mean time, I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with sending water out to a lab to have it tested. Any experience sending rez. water out to a lab?

:volcano:

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Sorry, I usually test my own water with aquarium kits. If you're on a well (I think I just answered another post of yours), is it being chlorinated? Is it shallow, thusly requiring the UV sterilization?

I'm on a well and it's rather hard, icky water, lots of iron and sources of carbonates. But it's only filtered, not treated, and it's rather deep, so those are about the only problems with it we really have. Well, that plus it's damn cold coming from so deep.

J

Jalisco Kid

Call a lab in your area.Should cost about 45 bucks. JK

M

MrMIMedPot

Call a lab in your area.Should cost about 45 bucks. JK

Have you sent out water before? What about a sample of your nutrient solution?

I am going to have to hit the local Hydro shop, my buddy called today and explained they have sample kits there that can then be sent out for analysis.

M

MrMIMedPot

Sorry, I usually test my own water with aquarium kits. If you're on a well (I think I just answered another post of yours), is it being chlorinated? Is it shallow, thusly requiring the UV sterilization?

I'm on a well and it's rather hard, icky water, lots of iron and sources of carbonates. But it's only filtered, not treated, and it's rather deep, so those are about the only problems with it we really have. Well, that plus it's damn cold coming from so deep.

What information are you able to derive from the aquarium kits? I hadn't considered doing any testing on my own.

I'm not on a well. Actually hooked upto the city municipal water but I am really drawing a blank. If it's not the water I am going to lose my mind!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
With a good kit *and* a hydrometer you can test for the following: pH, NH4 (ammonia), NO2 (nitrite), NO3 (nitrate), GH (general hardness), dKH (degrees of German hardness, aka carbonate hardness), and CO2 with some calculations based off the hardness and pH testing, IIRC. A hydrometer will tell you the specific gravity of the solution, in my opinion an EC meter would be more useful for determining this parameter in this arena.

In my opinion, if you've eliminated EVERYTHING ELSE, then you have to look to the water. However, since it's muni water, you should be able to request a report (if they don't already have one published online).

J

Jalisco Kid

It is better to take the sample to the lab yourself.Time degrades. You should learn to stay away from hydro stores and think ag. If you think it is your tap water, I think you are grasping for straws. Have a lab do a bac and fungal check and then have them do a nute analysis. If you still have problems send in a plant for some tissue analysis for about 140 bucks.
Your water dist will have a water breakdown on line or they could mail it to you. JK

Latest posts

Top Bottom