Water temp heating time duration

• Thread starter Hoodlegend
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hoodlegend

Hoodlegend

Question dose the reservoir have to stay a constant 68 degree or can I just heat the water before watering?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Are you in dirt?

If hydro - which typically is the one with the res, there is no watering...

Hoodlegend

Hoodlegend

Growing in coco70/perlite30. I hand water them from a reservoir. But reservoir gets done to 58 degrees. I didn't want to have a tank heater running all day if it wasn't necessary. More concerned about the beneficial bacteria dying.

Dub_City405

Dub_City405

Never give your plants feed above 80 degrees. Im sure plant will go into shock if its about 80 and below 60. I dont see a problem warming or cooling the water off as long as its in that range.

While a nice sunny day you spend your day outside. Are you gonna wanna go inside and drink hot water? Just Becareful i have a 1 gallon water chiller. I keep it set at 68. Give or take a couple degrees flowing through the pipes and the top on the media might be a bit warm from light.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

You want to feed at the same temperature as the media... forget arbitrary numbers as it will change from grow to grow. If the media temp is 76 then feed at 76, if its 68 feed at 68.

My coco temp is 78-80f so that what I feed at.

Hoodlegend

Hoodlegend

Thanks for the good info guys. But I'm was more interested in the dissolved oxygen saturation levels and if I was killing any of the beneficial bacteria form a rootguard by letting the water get that cold. I probably should have worded my question differently.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thanks for the good info guys. But I'm was more interested in the dissolved oxygen saturation levels and if I was killing any of the beneficial bacteria form a rootguard by letting the water get that cold. I probably should have worded my question differently.
DO will not be an issue. Your way overthinking it. Its not a tea with a huge number of bacteria that requires more gas exchange and bacteria metabolism is better in the mid 70s.

Hoodlegend

Hoodlegend

Definitely over thinking lol. It all started because I need to add a heater and I'm to cheap to run it all day.

PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

DO will not be an issue. Your way overthinking it. Its not a tea with a huge number of bacteria that requires more gas exchange and bacteria metabolism is better in the mid 70s.
Didn't want to start a new thread for this and since this question is semi related thought i would ask. I am running +Life (beneficial bacteria and fungi product) in a reservoir for a top feed system in rockwool. Do I need constant DO in the res, or is it ok to have it sit stagnant and then feed it to rockwool. Rockwool has plenty of oxygen available but will the aerobic bacteria be dead before it gets there?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Didn't want to start a new thread for this and since this question is semi related thought i would ask. I am running +Life (beneficial bacteria and fungi product) in a reservoir for a top feed system in rockwool. Do I need constant DO in the res, or is it ok to have it sit stagnant and then feed it to rockwool. Rockwool has plenty of oxygen available but will the aerobic bacteria be dead before it gets there?
Unless there is a biofilm there should be no issue there are not enough bacteria to deplete the water of o2. The further o2 drifts from equilibrium the easier it is for it to to absorb so ita highly unlikely you will have any DO issues in a res for bacteria unless it's a concentrated tea with loads of bacteria.

PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

Unless there is a biofilm there should be no issue there are not enough bacteria to deplete the water of o2. The further o2 drifts from equilibrium the easier it is for it to to absorb so ita highly unlikely you will have any DO issues in a res for bacteria unless it's a concentrated tea with loads of bacteria.
Oh okay great! I was never a fan of having my res have constant circulation or air stone since the nutes are fully dissolved anyways, but it's my first time using a microbe product other than for transplant and I found a coat of it left behind on my pumps in my empty res. along with a smell. Is this normal grounds when using microbes or an issue? Would the left behind residue fit within your meaning of a biofilm?

I do have an extra air pump if that would help the leftover gunk..maybe my subconscious just doesn't want another thing to clean every week lol.

Here's the product if it helps at all:

20210111 211627
Last edited:
PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

Also was thinking maybe just mix this stuff up separately and feed once a week if I want to use it. I feel like I risk clogging my system if I have it in my main res?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Also was thinking maybe just mix this stuff up separately and feed once a week if I want to use it. I feel like I risk clogging my system if I have it in my main res?
Can absolutely do it seperate if its an issue. A biofilm will kinda look like oil on the top of the water.

PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

Great thanks for the info, I'll look out this week for a biofilm.

Top Bottom