Water weight not going down solo cup

• Thread starter NapkinB
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NapkinB

NapkinB

Hey, I watered my plants in my red solo cups and one of the 8 plants won’t go down in water weight and it’s staying the same weight. I watered it 3 days ago and it was at 180g before and 231g after I watered it and now it’s been at 197 for two days and not losing the water weight. I have tons of drainage holes all around the bottom of the cup.

NapkinB

NapkinB

Hey, I watered my plants in my red solo cups and one of the 8 plants won’t go down in water weight and it’s staying the same weight. I watered it 3 days ago and it was at 180g before and 231g after I watered it and now it’s been at 197 for two days and not losing the water weight. I have tons of drainage holes all around the bottom of the cup.
Also I forgot to mention I’m watering by using a scale. I have messed up and overwatered and under watered every single time I’ve tried to grow so im trying to get it right this time. Im growing in fox farms ocean forest my temps are 71-81 and humidity at about 65. How much water weight are they supposed to lose before I should water them again??

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
if the solo cup is 200ml volume then 50ml of water sounds about right.
though it's dependant on medium used... get a feeling for that in the first place

Ponky

Ponky

Can’t stick my finger all the way down to the bottom. Top inch or two is always dry.
Water it until water flows out of the holes in the bottom. And water every 2 to 3 days when you feel the top and it feels light or is shrinking away from the edges of the cup.

NapkinB

NapkinB

Water it until water flows out of the holes in the bottom. And water every 2 to 3 days when you feel the top and it feels light or is shrinking away from the edges of the cup.
Yeah today would be the day I need to water. But the water weight has stayed at 197 g since yesterday. The rest of the plants have lost about 40g of water weight. This one has lost 30 and won’t go down anymore. Stuck a stick down into the side of the cup and it came out wet.

mancorn

mancorn

You can cut open your cup and see what’s going on and then either tape it back together, drop back into a new cup, or up-pot. If you slice (or just tear) up the sides (from drainage holes) and remove half the cup, you can hold all the dirt together in the other half and it’s real easy to manipulate. You’re only in the cup for short time so easy enough to just taping the cup back up.

AF7037BA 8C05 4558 A2CF EE6D2BB06EAD
B0CF7156 41BD 4EEC B7FF 8F7FE8F5ECFE

NapkinB

NapkinB

if the solo cup is 200ml volume then 50ml of water sounds about right.
though it's dependant on medium used... get a feeling for that in the first place
Do you know how much of that 50ml of water should be gone before watering again?

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Also I forgot to mention I’m watering by using a scale. I have messed up and overwatered and under watered every single time I’ve tried to grow so im trying to get it right this time. Im growing in fox farms ocean forest my temps are 71-81 and humidity at about 65. How much water weight are they supposed to lose before I should water them again??

You can cut open your cup and see what’s going on and then either tape it back together, drop back into a new cup, or up-pot. If you slice (or just tear) up the sides (from drainage holes) and remove half the cup, you can hold all the dirt together in the other half and it’s real easy to manipulate. You’re only in the cup for short time so easy enough to just taping the cup back up.

View attachment 1236759View attachment 1236760
Or you could just put the cup in another cup without taping

thatguy2001

thatguy2001

It could be that the roots just haven't developed like the others have (yet). I think the clear cups inside a red cup is a great idea. I don't even bother with the red cup though, since I'm going to upsize anyway.
IMG 20220415 102036162

Microstraincollector

Microstraincollector

You have to account for root growth in your equation... There can be an explosion of mass beneath the soil adding weight... Roots grow much faster than the greenery

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
Do you know how much of that 50ml of water should be gone before watering again?
Bro the soil in the pot will hold always the same amount of water when fully saturated - but how much it is in this case is different to each mix regarding the various ingredients used. And ofc, how big that volume is in the first place ;)
Usually 1/4th to half of potsize in ml.
Earth needs to be fully made wet if proper aeration amendment is present, then wait until most free water has been taken up by roots or evaporated.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

I water when the pots get light don't use scale as u can tell when they need water how? The pot is much lighter and leaves get a bit droopy.

quirk

quirk

What's the weight 24 hrs. later?

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Basic Watering

Watering SOIL

R

rolandrog

When you finish watering, make sure you water the around the outside inner edge of the cup because that's where the roots are LOL.

jesterthejedi

jesterthejedi

I think he missed an important step, without perlite in that soil it’s going to waterlog. Repot it in a fabric pot with added perlite or remove all that wet soggy dirt and water much less frequently in moist but not wet soil.

jesterthejedi

jesterthejedi

Bro the soil in the pot will hold always the same amount of water when fully saturated - but how much it is in this case is different to each mix regarding the various ingredients used. And ofc, how big that volume is in the first place ;)
Usually 1/4th to half of potsize in ml.
Earth needs to be fully made wet if proper aeration amendment is present, then wait until most free water has been taken up by roots or evaporated.
You also should avoid saturating it with water, you need way less when the plant is small or in a small container like a cup.

Top Bottom