Watercooled sealed room?

• Thread starter surfguitar
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
surfguitar

surfguitar

Yea that's how I feel, a 1.5hp chiller, pumps, ice boxes and fans is probably ~2000. A good dehumidifer and AC would be the same price or more easily. Than when you facotr in how more efficient watercoling is versus AC it seems like a no brainer. Especially since I can insulate the rez and keep it in a spot that always stays cool.

I'm wondering if I should keep the chiller under the house too?

T

Ttystikk2

You're on the right track thinking about putting the chiller someplace away from your grow- this is one of water chilling's biggest advantages, to be able to place the unit where it makes the most sense to shed/redirect the excess heat.

My grow rooms are in the basement but my chillers are upstairs sticking out the windows, just like AC units. One of these comes in from the windowsill in late October and sits on an end table in my office all winter, where it produces enough heat to keep my whole house warm, even in subzero temperatures! That saves ANOTHER $1000 in heating bills every winter, paying for the system... again. After all, it will save you the difference between its cost and AC in the first year of operation alone. Over the next two years, its efficiency in operation will save you the entire cost of your environmental control system just in savings over operating costs associated with AC.

It's like many a good investment out there; pay a little more up front, get a positive return on investment and a payback period. Go cheap up front and you'll be paying forever...

How efficient? My 2 Ton chiller is rated at the same 24K BTu as the AC unit it's based on, so wtf? The compressor is exactly the same thing as one in an AC unit, so where's the savings?! It's at the other end; I know the standard for cooling grow operations is 1/2 Ton of AC for every 2kW in lights, or two Tons for four lights. Worse, redirecting air through sealed rooms defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

I ran a 16 light grow op with just TWO TONS of water chilling! I used every trick in da book to pull it off- but the point is that it worked and kept the op under control, while using a scant 1/4 of the 'recommended' AC capacity!

Water is just that much better at picking up heat and carrying it away.

One more thing; Fuck those 6" toys- get 8" Iceboxes and use 8" ducting and fans. 6" Iceboxes is like using tents for your bloom- they're for campers, not the serious.

surfguitar

surfguitar

Haha you read my mind I was already thinking 8in iceboxes with 8in fan after reading thru your water cooling thread some more.

Thank you so much tty!

I like that you can heat your house with these things, that is a major savings right there. I'm blowing a 1500w space heater as I type this.....

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
Any suggestions on the best 8"Ice boxes to look for?

Make them yourself?

Top Bottom