Watering by weight: Newbie Questions

• Thread starter Scotty420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Scotty420

Scotty420

OK so I'm trying to get a handle on watering, everyone seems to recommend watering by weight but I'm having a hard time finding a concise breakdown of what exactly that should look like. I searched & didn't see a thread based solely around this & thought it might be a good idea to start one so anyone that comes after me can get a jump start on my learning process. I'm going to post the process I'm attempting now & where I run into issues/questions & hopefully someone with a better grasp of this will come by & correct anywhere I'm making mistakes/answer questions.

So as of now I'm filling a cup with dirt straight from the bin then weighing it. I was writing it on the cups but I've found it's pretty consistent at about 230g so I just know where they're all at. Then I water before planting my seed, basically I water lightly until I just start to see runoff then I weigh it again. When my weight starts to get back to the original weight before my initial watering I water again.

When I do the watering after the seed has sprouted & the cup dried I am noticing that I struggle to get the water back up to the original weight & even getting them to take water at all. For instance I had a cup that weighed about 250 after I watered it originally (I was honestly experimenting with using less water on planting & I probably should have added more to that one when I planted) it got down to 230 so I watered it again, it was so dry that water just puddles on top of the soil, once I finally get it to start to soak in (I'm having to aerate the top soil to get it to soak, I put a small amount on & waited 30 minutes & it's still puddled on top) I'm struggling to get it back to even 240g before it starts getting a decent amount of runoff.

So I guess my questions are, is the game plan I'm currently using sound? Should I be concerned that I can't get the cups to hold the same amount of water after letting them dry back & that the water just wants to puddle at the surface of the dry soil? Thanks in advance for any help.

2Bad

2Bad

Unless you're crop steering it's not that serious. What you're experiencing though is hydrophobic soil. One way to fix it would be to water a bit sooner than you are. Another way would be add fresh soil on top. And 3rd an last way would be using a wetting agent.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Unless you're crop steering it's not that serious. What you're experiencing though is hydrophobic soil. One way to fix it would be to water a bit sooner than you are. Another way would be add fresh soil on top. And 3rd a last way would be using a wetting agent.
Or crumble and scratch around on the surface and along the edges finger deep between watering. Helps to aerate the soil and prevents compacted hydrophobic soil.

This becomes important when you get to larger pots.

Top Bottom