Watering In 15 Gallon Geo Pots?

• Thread starter 3N1GM4
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Just transplanted into 15 gallon geo pots two weeks ago, two in dirt one in coco. My problem is that I am not getting any runoff. From what I understand, with coco you need the runoff to flush the salts from the coco fibres. I watered with 2 gallons on one pot and had zero runoff and it made my plant look overwatered. Are you supposed to water untill you get runoff in geopots and do I need to raise it off the ground on a milk crate or something to get runoff or do I just need to keep watering? They just seem to keep soaking it up, am I ok to just keep watering with no runoff?

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Seems like the pots hold water when full of media, I guess I will just water till I think all the dirt is wet unless someone has a better idea.
The pots are all full to about two inches from the top so I would say about a bag and a half of dirt each. So my guess is 1 gal and a half.

Danky Mcnugs

Danky Mcnugs

What kind of nutrients are you running? If you're running synthetic there is a product called drip clean. You can run that with your nutrients and not have to have runoff. If you know the strain well you shouldn't really need too much runoff anyways. Just keep your feeds light and always work up very slowly paying close attention to the plant.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Im not too worried about the two in ffof soil but one is in coco.. I am using fox farm nutes and I plan to flush the one with coco until I get heavy runoff. I am just wondering how much water I am going to have to use to get runoff from a 15 gal pot of coco because I have never used geo pots before, this is just my second grow.

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
best way to really know ..is just grab some water and water till it runs off

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

I was thinking that it might not drain like that as I have never used them, my dirt was swimming after I poured two gallons in one pot and not a drip at the bottom. Guess I will hit the coco one with two and then go get two more and keep adding it until i see water, hope it works.

Danky Mcnugs

Danky Mcnugs

Ya man you can literally grow a tree in 15 gallons of coco. Biggest pot I'd run in coco is like a 5 gallon. I pulled 6.5 ounces from one plant in a 2 gallon pot of coco. They just don't get root bound like soil plants do. But since it's already in there just water with as much as it takes to get runoff. Fox farms is pretty salty and builds up so I'd definitely flush every two weeks or so with a good enzyme product.

lollipopman

lollipopman

I'm in 7gal geopots, straight coco, vert, I water till I get run off. Right now my plants are 40"h and 40"w. Water everyday. 15gal for indoor is to big, this is mine 2 weeks ago

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

2 gallons isn't near enough for 15gal of coco, especially for the first watering if you didn't pre soak it. Coco without added aeration can be prone to dry pockets in larger containers, so extra runoff and vigilance are in order. To avoid overwatering its best to transplant from successively smaller containers, or only water the larger ones out to the drip zone of the plant canopy, so they drink and dry enough for at least 2-3x weekly watering (more if you want big plants).

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
2 gallons isn't near enough for 15gal of coco, especially for the first watering if you didn't pre soak it. Coco without added aeration can be prone to dry pockets in larger containers, so extra runoff and vigilance are in order.
This, with regard to growing in coir. ^^^

15gals is a LOT of media, so my own advice is this--cut your feeding schedule to one quarter the typical dosing and feed-feed-feed instead of feed-feed-water. Make sense? This should help prevent salt buildup.

lollipopman

lollipopman

15gals is a LOT of media, so my own advice is this--cut your feeding schedule to one quarter the typical dosing and feed-feed-feed instead of feed-feed-water. Make sense? This should help prevent salt buildup.
I know cap does feed-feed-water, do you know why @Seamaiden and not feed-water-feed-water

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

That makes sense, thank you. Should I still water with more water untill I get runoff or stick with my two gallons but 1/4 stength feed every time?

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

I think you're headed down a tough road trying to alternate plain water, and personally I wouldnt do that with coco. There will be no salt buildup unless you let them go dry or over fertilize. Fertigation times and strength are based on transpiration rate (light and co2 levels, leaf and air temperature)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've seen people cause buildup when they can't fully saturate the coir to the point of run-off irrespective of whether or not the coir has been allowed to dry out. That's one reason why I've come to prefer using low feeds over pushing then flushing. I honestly think the biggest number one new grower mistake is over-loving, especially by overfeeding.

One way this can be mitigated is by incorporating one portion of the Big Ricky feeding schedule, the Fox Farms Big Bloom (I know, I know, a lot of people don't like it, but I do and so I use it). I messed up the feeding schedule on that portion of the regimen and was using less than the amount you're supposed to use, I think the recipe calls for 15mls/gal and I was using 5mls/gal. Only later did I realize that doing that may have saved me some headaches as it acted as a very very mild flush.
I know cap does feed-feed-water, do you know why @Seamaiden and not feed-water-feed-water
I think everyone has their own reasons. Mine are that I am cheap and don't like wasting money, so fertilizer that has to be flushed out of the medium is a huge waste of money (and water) in my world, those would be my primary reasons.
That makes sense, thank you. Should I still water with more water untill I get runoff or stick with my two gallons but 1/4 stength feed every time?
That's a tough call without seeing the plants or knowing how long it's taking the media to dry out. Assuming they're looking good, then I would simply use the same amount IF that's what the plants are calling for.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

I havnt watered them in over a week with the exception of the big one I watered about 5 days ago because it seems to be drinking it faster. I will just wait till the leaves start to droop before watering and maybe get some sledgehammer to flush with. They are looking good so far.

20151011 152757

Big Whodi

Big Whodi

Watering coco with water only supposedly throws off the cation exchange. It's best to use lower strength nutrients instead of plain water, if trying to correct a problem.

boilerroom

boilerroom

I put 8 gallons through my 15 g bags today, soil though. Tough to overwater with bags as long as you are not hitting them too often. As they grow they use more, also if windy, and hot. The bottom line, it all depends on a few variables.

Top Bottom