Watering problems causing gnat problems.

• Thread starter Purfict
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

Purfict

When using any plastic container I drill extra holes in bottom and cut slits in sides with razor to help wet/dry.

try 1-3 gal after the solo. Like to get them drinking almost daily before sizing up
I planned on doing that, even have the 2 gallon pots on my shelf. I just got a lot of advice to go right to their final home but I think that’s a technique best left alone for new growers. I’m gonna go fabric next grow.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
not sure if mentioned but if you have holes already in pots than gnats can go in there also and lay eggs,.. don’t worry and just keep going by drying out and watering,.maybe spray the surface with a light peroxide mix 3% and any area of medium that is exposed to the open air,.. keep humidity lower like 50,. add in some airflow and in 30 days gnats should be gone,..

P

Purfict

They look a bit more alive, still a little droopy but not by much. Do you think they look thirsty or can chalk it up to the gnats in their soil? Either way I think the right thing to do would be to wait longer to dry it out. Also, I could sacrifice some temperature by turning my 6 inch inline fan on which would give more than enough airflow for my tent, it’s 4.5x4.5x6.7 feet.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
Does it feel like the root ball is close to the equivalent of styrofoam? If not wait until then.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
yes wait for it to be dry dry!,..
i’m actually guilty or lazy of never watering my plants when needed, no need to worry, you’d be surprised how long they can go without water and survive,.. but water them a day or two to early a few times can really screw things up and affect the harvest and yield,..

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
About gnats...

I've read in gardening magazines that spreading a layer of sand on the soil is an effective method of getting rid of fungus gnats. It's effective because gnats can't lay their eggs in sand. The problem is I'm not sure sand would be okay to use with cannabis. When I see the thick layer of diatomaceous earth, however, I wonder if DE could work as well as sand. It just might be.

My concerns about using sand or DE are how it might affect soil moisture, how it would get in the way of top dressings and how it wouldn't be helpful for growers who reuse their soil.

P

Purfict

yes wait for it to be dry dry!,..
i’m actually guilty or lazy of never watering my plants when needed, no need to worry, you’d be surprised how long they can go without water and survive,.. but water them a day or two to early a few times can really screw things up and affect the harvest and yield,..
How many days would you say is ok to wait for a 5 gallon plastic pot? Today is 8 days since their last watering and they don’t look that bad other than growth stopping.

P

Purfict

About gnats...

I've read in gardening magazines that spreading a layer of sand on the soil is an effective method of getting rid of fungus gnats. It's effective because gnats can't lay their eggs in sand. The problem is I'm not sure sand would be okay to use with cannabis. When I see the thick layer of diatomaceous earth, however, I wonder if DE could work as well as sand. It just might be.

My concerns about using sand or DE are how it might affect soil moisture, how it would get in the way of top dressings and how it wouldn't be helpful for growers who reuse their soil.
I was thinking I would try to get as much out as I can before each watering since it doesn’t do anything wet anyways, but i’m sure it’ll be a pain to do that.

P

Purfict

Just to check up, today is day 11 since last watering, 35 days since breaking ground. the soil could just maybe pass the knuckle test, it’s not dry as a bone but soil can’t quite stick to my finger. I got mosquito bits to absolutely rid the problem, even though they I haven’t seen any gnats in a while I still want to be safe. I plan on doing 750mL of water per plant, and was planning on adding their first nutes. My plan was to do this all on sunday when their lights turn on, just to be sure they dry out super good. If anyone has any input on what they would change in my situation, let me know. I plan to top them for the first time a day or two after watering.

Latest posts

Top Bottom