Watering seedlings and info about veg stage

• Thread starter NapkinB
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NapkinB

NapkinB

Hey, was just wondering how much water and how often I should be watering my seedlings and when seedlings are considered in the veg stage. I have a 45-60% humidity tent right now going from 75-83 degrees with plastic water bottles over them because I’ve been Having a little trouble keeping the humidity up. Just planted them after germinating them using the paper towel method.

freezeland2

freezeland2

What did you plant the seedlings in to? Pot size & medium?

freezeland2

freezeland2

Only planted them in red solo cups and fox farms ocean forest soil
Make sure you have drain holes in the bottom and around the sides of the cup about 1/2” up from the cups bottom. Is the soil moist now? Keep another cup with just dry soil in it so you can feel the difference between a watered cup and a dry one. When the moist one gets to near the same weight as the dry. Water thoroughly but don’t drown the cup. You don’t necessarily need run off from those drain holes. They are there to help mitigate a accidental overwatering.

NapkinB

NapkinB

Make sure you have drain holes in the bottom and around the sides of the cup about 1/2” up from the cups bottom. Is the soil moist now? Keep another cup with just dry soil in it so you can feel the difference between a watered cup and a dry one. When the moist one gets to near the same weight as the dry. Water thoroughly but don’t drown the cup. You don’t necessarily need run off from those drain holes. They are there to help mitigate a accidental overwatering.
I have a ton of drain holes in the bottom of the red solos and I was told about half a cup of water for the 18 oz solo cups every watering. Does that count when they’re seedlings? Or should I be only misting like I’ve been doing? Haven’t let it go dry yet. Only 3 days old.

freezeland2

freezeland2

I have a ton of drain holes in the bottom of the red solos and I was told about half a cup of water for the 18 oz solo cups every watering. Does that count when they’re seedlings? Or should I be only misting like I’ve been doing? Haven’t let it go dry yet. Only 3 days old.
I don’t mist but others do so successfully. I water enough until I’m sure the soil is moist. I also always pre moisten the soil to a moisture level I feel is adequate and then plant. I know how the soil looks and feels and have a feel for the weight. I let it dry back from that and then make it look and feel like when I planted. Sometimes it only takes 2 - 3 days to dry back, and yet at other times it will take closer to 5. Depends mostly on environmental conditions.

Reactions: TSD
NapkinB

NapkinB

I don’t mist but others do so successfully. I water enough until I’m sure the soil is moist. I also always pre moisten the soil to a moisture level I feel is adequate and then plant. I know how the soil looks and feels and have a feel for the weight. I let it dry back from that and then make it look and feel like when I planted. Sometimes it only takes 2 - 3 days to dry back, and yet at other times it will take closer to 5. Depends mostly on environmental conditions.
I have a scale to measure before and after watering but it doesn’t seem to move much before and after. I only get the top layer moist and it barely moves. I keep killing my plants because I am not able to get the water situation under control. Is it okay for my seedlings to go dry for a day when they just popped out of the ground yesterday or the day before? Or should I keep watering and not let it get dry.

freezeland2

freezeland2

I have a scale to measure before and after watering but it doesn’t seem to move much before and after. I only get the top layer moist and it barely moves. I keep killing my plants because I am not able to get the water situation under control. Is it okay for my seedlings to go dry for a day when they just popped out of the ground yesterday or the day before? Or should I keep watering and not let it get dry.
You do not want the tap root to become dry.

Choppr

Choppr

Prepping soil-Squeeze method, fill your cups dry, dump cups into bucket, pump sprayer lightly moisten, mix thoroughly, grab a fistful and squeeze, soil should stay in a ball but break apart easily, if you squeeze and its dripping water you went too far. After that new seedlings, 1-2 ounces every other day. Seedling are vunerable to soil pathogens who love to eat soft green stalk/stem of seedlings, pathogens flourish in wet soil, after a few nodes stalk starts to become more woody less vunerable. (search damping-off)

simonkay

simonkay

Prepping soil-Squeeze method, fill your cups dry, dump cups into bucket, pump sprayer lightly moisten, mix thoroughly, grab a fistful and squeeze, soil should stay in a ball but break apart easily, if you squeeze and its dripping water you went too far. After that new seedlings, 1-2 ounces every other day. Seedling are vunerable to soil pathogens who love to eat soft green stalk/stem of seedlings, pathogens flourish in wet soil, after a few nodes stalk starts to become more woody less vunerable. (search damping-off)
Is there a humidity range you should be keeping when waiting for seeds to pop?

Latest posts

Top Bottom