Watertank/reservoir stinks like feet?

• Thread starter Fro5ty
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Fro5ty

Fro5ty

So I wanted to change my water of the RDWC systen and saw that there were bubbles on the water in my tank, that has been sitting still for 5 days. It didn’t smell but I didn’t want to take any chance and pumped it out. I took a bucket with some H2o2 and water and cleaned the tank out with a that was soaked in the diluted h2o2.

Now I putted new RO water in it. And a couple of bubbles are on it. Not that many. But the water… well, it smells like stinky feet.

the only thing that I added more vs my first water was the calmag 2.0 from GHE.

Should I add h2o2 to the water and let it sit for another day, before I change my water in the RDWC? Or should I just change the water again?!

JSH1973

JSH1973

Supporter
Maybe you accidently used the reservoir as a foot bath and forgot about it because you were stoned 😁

Fro5ty

Fro5ty

Maybe you accidently used the reservoir as a foot bath and forgot about it because you were stoned 😁
Stop playing man… 😆

Like seriously, would adding h2o2 cure the problem. It technically should since it kills bacteria.

Fro5ty

Fro5ty

I would hope h2o2 will work, but it's only a herbicide at over 10%. So some diluted in a tank could be very ineffective. It depends what you have managed to get in there. I have 12% in a spray bottle that I clean my tank with. I'm not rdwc though, where you have more than the tank to clean.

Perhaps switch tactic. Use a biological solution for a day or two. That might kill the nasty stuff, then when you go back to h2o2 that might kill the nice stuff. I have had results with such tactics.

I have had a tank I couldn't get right until I drained it down and used the 12% spray. After which the maintenance dose kept the tank clear. That maintenance dose (about 130ppm) keeps it out, but couldn't deal with a full on disaster.
I also have 12%. I looked it up on the internet and they said to use 3ml/L of 3%. So I did the math and putted 195ml of my 12% in the 260L reservoir. I’m still hesitant to fill my RDWC system with it.

Fro5ty

Fro5ty

1ml per liter of 12% is 120ppm. That should be enough as a maintenance dose. I have seen no ill effect at 3ml per liter, but some have. This is useful to know, as you may wish to top up with a little more each day. Depending on the work it has to do, it can last just hours. I have done the 3ml in one hit, for weeks on end. I have been even higher, like double that. Only for 10 minutes though, cleaning yeast out of 1" rockwool cubes. It was audibly fizzing, but the cuttings were fine.

195ml in 260L could be considered a low dose. I maintain the drip tank for a soil system at around 60ppm but sometimes 'slip' and get close to what you have. The drip tank has nothing coming back in, it's just fresh. Or I would go higher.

195 in 260 isn't going to hurt anything. Maybe not the problem bacteria.
How much should I add extra? Another 100ml? And then add 147ml diluted in 1L, every 3-4 days?

Fro5ty

Fro5ty

Another 100ml in your 260L shouldn't hurt. It's a little higher than a maintenance dose, but that seems reasonable, as you do have a problem.

I'm not sure what you mean about the 147ml. You mean in a liter, then the liter in the full tank. Giving a 50% boost?
I think something like that, but I can't be sure. There is conflicting information out there about the depletion rate. However, It's still below what I have chucked in during a tank change. I'm feeling pretty safe with that.

If I go in at 1ml per liter, I'm happy to top up each day with 50% more, for a few days. Then my tank is gone. I know I won't reach 3ml per liter, so I get a bit slack and just pour it in by eye. I feel the day the tank is made, it's clean. So not much is going to happen till the next clean tank.

Typical stinks are algae and black mould. Algae seems easy to control and familiar to my nose. Black mound is a bit like wet soil, but only a bit. It seems harder to shift. Wiping the tank or filters should get some on your finger to have a proper look at it. Is there any bio film on the surface? The bubbles make me think of oil, thus aglae.

Is your tank properly dark? I had to tin foil mine and make a lid. The stuff was breeding faster than I could kill it.

Roots ok?
I think this is the problem. The tank isn’t 100% light tight.

Latest posts

Top Bottom