Watts/lumens per square foot ?

• Thread starter Texas Kid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tony69

Tony69

Whazzup,
What is the proper spacing for Gavita 1000 DE ? If you were to step up a large area with overlapping light what is the distance between each reflector and what is the distance between each row? What is the ideal height from reflector to top of canopy of plants? You seem to shoot for 1000 umol s-1 m-2 is this correct? Thanks for all your knowledge.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

This thread went from watts/lumens a sq.ft. to umol and some othere things I've never even heard of, hahaa, good shit.

bstilwell1988

bstilwell1988

So I have a 4x4 tent that on not using yet. I just got a 600watt that I was gonna use. I Laso have a 400. So after reading This in thinking i need to use both. Maybe use the 400 with a mh for dual spectrum. Comments?

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

So I have a 4x4 tent that on not using yet. I just got a 600watt that I was gonna use. I Laso have a 400. So after reading This in thinking i need to use both. Maybe use the 400 with a mh for dual spectrum. Comments?

I've heard good things from using a 600 HPS and 400 MH, it should work great, good luck.

Crysmatic

Crysmatic

Whazzup: I had my light 24" above 8" tall bushy clones (23 days in veg) at 1000W. they were growing slowly (35% humidity had an effect). I got the humidity up to 65%, raised the light 2", and dimmed to 825W...they grew over 2" overnight o.O I raised it again to 27" @ 825W. I think the light is way too bright to have at 24"...ymmv

What dimensions would you make your ideal 4000W room?

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Whazzup or anybody that know this answer, how long should I run my 600w bulb at 100% before I'm able to dim it down to 75 or 50%?? I think I saw someone say 100 hrs, but I just wanna confirm.

Also, I just got 2 new ballasts so do those have to be held at 100% for a specific period of time too, or is it just the bulbs??

whazzup

whazzup

wow.. lots of questions.

just had a few busy weeks before, during and after spannabis :D

let me see, Tony wants to know about life, the universe and everything. The answer is 42.;)

Tony it depends on the room size and shape. Rooms are seldom built to suit specific lamps, it's mostly the other way. Very generally speaking for the pro 1000 (and this is just a guideline) keep the lamps in in-line rowes 90cm - 1m apart (center lamp) and the rows about 1.9-2.2m apart, with a distance to the crop of 90 cm that would come out as above 1000 umol s-1 m-2 on for example a 1.8x4m surface. But there are different ways of combining them, for example concentrated above beds.

I'd go at least 70, and rather 90 cm from a Pro 1000.

@crysmatic: I totally agree with you if you leave the light on 24 hours. The DLI is way too high. Reduce the hours to 18 and keep more distance or dim. 70 cm is already very close to the plants. Now in flowering you need to step up your light, because you will reduce the hours from 18 to 12, reducing the dli by 30 % if you keep the same light on it! Fortunately you can dim, and you would be amazed to see what a few hours of darkness a day can do for growth. ;)

@lex: yes, 100 hours is recommended for stabilization.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Whazzap, whazzap! Always dropping the knowledge, many thanks for your contributions!

Odd ball question here; can you run a DE bulb vertically? Is there one that can?

whazzup

whazzup

nope, made for horizontal use and it would defeat the purpose of the double ended lamp as you will need to run a wire to the bottom.

ttystikk

ttystikk

nope, made for horizontal use and it would defeat the purpose of the double ended lamp as you will need to run a wire to the bottom.

Can you tell me what is the best bulb/ballast combination that allows me to hang a 1000w hps vertically?

whazzup

whazzup

If I knew I would! Hortilux is a good lamp, can't really go wrong with that if you use an appropriate ballast. You can run them reliable from a magnetic CWA ballast too of course. Magnetic ballasts give no problems with any lamps, and HortiLux recommends low frequency. Do use a good ballast though, Advance, Philips, Tridonic, Vossloh, all professional brands with a good reputation. Do buy a ballast with temperature safety on board.

masshole61

masshole61

Wazzup, was curious as to the proper spacing and room size for the gavita 600 se us for a total of 3600w? The gavita 1000 de was my first choice but given the height restriction in my basement (7'9")
I thought the 600's might be better suited. Thoughts on my height restrictions ?

masshole61

masshole61

Or would the Triplestar reflector be better suited toward basement growing? If so would the spacing and space between plant and bulb center and reflector setting be different? Thanks again

F

fadetoblack1

Got a 12X10 room. My canopy takes up about 10x10, with a small row in the middle to squeeze thru. 18 plants in 10gallons. I had (4) 1000 watters, but decided to up it to (6) thousand watters and my first run with the 6 was rough. My mini split was running so hard i think the low humidity stunted the plants. Or maybe the light was too much? I had the lights around 24 inches from the plants..

Any thoughts?

shawnskush

shawnskush

Got a 12X10 room. My canopy takes up about 10x10, with a small row in the middle to squeeze thru. 18 plants in 10gallons. I had (4) 1000 watters, but decided to up it to (6) thousand watters and my first run with the 6 was rough. My mini split was running so hard i think the low humidity stunted the plants. Or maybe the light was too much? I had the lights around 24 inches from the plants..

Any thoughts?
try making the middle light a 600 in each row should still give great results with less heat.

Crysmatic

Crysmatic

oh, ideal measurements for a 1x1000W lamp are 1.2x1.8, 2.5m high, lamp at 2.3m.

avg light levels with uniformity over 85% at:

0.9m - 739 umol
1.1m - 820 umol
1.3m - 904 umol
1.4m - 950 umol
1.5m - 1009 umol

Then double the room to 2.4x1.8 and add a fixture. You now have less wall per fixture, so higher light levels, which show as follows::

0.9m - 810umol +71
1.1m - 869umol + 59
1.3m - 940umol + 36
1.4m - 987umol + 37
1.5m - 1036umol + 27

So you see by these figures the depreciation of light is less than with a single fixture.

Wassup!

I just read the Purdue study. It recommends 12-18 mol/m2/day for most crops. What is a reasonable range for cannabis? Is 43.2 mol/m2/day near optimum?? Is that from a growth standpoint? Or a ROI?

Can you please provide data for the 600, similar to the above data for the 1000? What are your recommendations wrt light spacing, row spacing, and height?

l'm putting together a plan for a 4800W room using 8x 600. The design is wide open atm. Air circulation wrt disease/pest management is paramount - top quality is our priority. I'm leaning towards a room 3.65m x 4.57m x 3m. I need to be able to walk around the tables to manage the plants - minimum 60 cm aisles. I'm working off four 600 over three 4' x 4' tables per row. I can have the tables against the walls, but l think a big block in the centre would be more efficient. Can l get your input?

Cheers

seaslug

seaslug

Crysmatic, I doubt if whazzup will be around here any time soon. I just read on Sannie's forum that he is very busy with work, so much so that Sannie is doing the mod duties over there.

I've got a pair of Gavita 600's, new in the box. I was expecting them to cover a 2.5ft x 4ft area each, suspended from a 7.5ft ceiling.

shawnskush

shawnskush

Crysmatic, I doubt if whazzup will be around here any time soon. I just read on Sannie's forum that he is very busy with work, so much so that Sannie is doing the mod duties over there.

I've got a pair of Gavita 600's, new in the box. I was expecting them to cover a 2.5ft x 4ft area each, suspended from a 7.5ft ceiling.
Overlap e in a 2.5x8 area and you will be bangin!

Crysmatic

Crysmatic

Thanks.

I had previously worked out that a 600 will cover 3' x 4' at 1000 umol (accounting for 15% wall loss). He said to run them inline - so two will cover 4' x 6. I just don't recall at what height...

Whazzup said the 1000 optimum distance is 90 cm from the bulb (35"). If l had to guess, l'd say the 600 will be close to 21". You may notice in early flower that the plants will stop stretching as they grow towards the lights. You'll want to keep the light a couple inches higher than this. Hth

You will love your lights!

s Seaslug

Top Bottom