Watts Per Square Foot.

• Thread starter Danolo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Danolo

I've been hearing various levels mentioned, most recently, that I should have 30 - 35 watts per square foot in my garden.

I'm researching lights for my grow box which is 2' by 4' by 6'. Therefore square feet is 2X4= 8 sq ft.

THAT translates to a light with 240 to 280 watts.

The only light I've looked at so far is the Perfect Sun Mini.
Black Diamond LED grow lights Perfect Sun

Their website shows 125 watts, so I guess I need two?

But, isn't there something wonky about the way lights wattage is rated? I know, many years ago, a 1000W HPS was considered to be 1000 watts. But now with the introduction of LED's, the actual draw from the wall, is not an accurate measure of the light.

My questions:
What's the best way to measure the watts per sq. ft? Or is that the best way to decide?

And, do you folks have any suggestions for a light ?

D

Danolo

actual watts,anyone who does not list their lights this way is hiding something. i would get this one for your spot.

Thanks 6string... (Guitar?)
Very interesting... the coverage area doesn't really match my space at 2.5' by 2.5'... but its pretty close...

What do you think about a light mover? They take up 6" vertical height, so I'm not sure I want to do that.

And alternative is to get TWO of the 200 watt lights.:

That would put a lot of light into the area...but probably too much heat. I have no experience with LED's...

Thanks for your suggestion.

I'm off to my local hydro store to see what they suggest.

sixstring

sixstring

Very interesting... the coverage area doesn't really match my space at 2.5' by 2.5'... but its pretty close...

What do you think about a light mover? They take up 6" vertical height, so I'm not sure I want to do that.

That would put a lot of light into the area...but probably too much heat. I have no experience with LED's...

2 of those kits would kill it in a 2 x 4,they are dimmable so you can(and prob should) dim them to 300w total. but the power is there for late flower you can crank it up last few weeks..the light i linked will light up a 2 x 4 nicely.also timber will make custom config upon request,will cost a few bucks more but you could get a 300w kit made for the long narrow space as well.

hiboy

hiboy

I use a light mover for my 600 Watt my over my mom plants because with the light moving around it will shine on all of the small branches to get a lot of tops and is working great
Hb

G gnome

G gnome

I use a light mover for my 600 Watt my over my mom plants because with the light moving around it will shine on all of the small branches to get a lot of tops and is working great
Hb

Finally a practical use for light movers!!!
How much square footage is that 600w w a light mover good for? I struggle w shuffling 40 + strains hangin around...maybe a light mover is the answer

D

Danolo

Well, I think I've decided on a light...

Its expensive, but it seems like the best for my area and needs.

Now, I just have to settle who is gonna supply it...

Dan789

Dan789

Hey just sayin, 4x4 tent, three LED's fixtures, 400 watts draw from the wall. 16 oz harvest. Cost total for lights >$750. (two lights approaching six/seven years old, still growing/going strong). PS would love one of those COB lights for my next grow.

AvidLerner

AvidLerner

They have one on ebay for sale.

Top Bottom