Website To Convert Lux To Par

• Thread starter Mepis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Mepis

I know it's a good idea just to get a PAR meter, but some of us don't have the funds. I have been trying to see if there is a way to convert lux to par since our phones have pretty good sensors these days. The short answer you can't convert exactly but you can get close enough. It's not a great answer, but for those of us without PAR meters and a smart phone, it's a tool we can use for the moment.

Anyway, I found this website to convert measurement:
http://www.egc.com/useful_info_lighting.php

Anybody have thoughts on this? Keep in mind, I understand it's not a true PAR measurement but possibly an intermediate tool that could be used.

Bannacis

Bannacis

Actually don't waste your money and time trying to figure par... Just get good set up, good nutes and water...good genetics and go for it, keep things simple. Getting caught up in the technical aspects of growing and figuring numbers can be cause peeps to over do things... or let other important matters go way side.

M

Mepis

I agree. I was looking into the matter because I have an going on at the moment where two plants are growing above the light. I'm not sure that the top side of the plant is getting enough light even with the reflective mylar.

Bannacis

Bannacis

Yeah, above the light you're not gonna get much from reflection. try tying them down or if able lean pots... sounds like you can't raise the lights any further, so you are in a pickle. are you in veg or flower? in veg or early flower you can top them.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I agree. I was looking into the matter because I have an going on at the moment where two plants are growing above the light. I'm not sure that the top side of the plant is getting enough light even with the reflective mylar.
Mylar is a poor light reflector. Flat white paint is superior. I like those Styro insulation sheets, easily cut to size, rigid, add insulation. They do also come with a Mylar backing but the white is superior for reflecting light.

M

Mepis

@Seamaiden I agree. I screwed up my current flowering chamber royally. Im in the process of building another one. That was is going to white.

H

hawkman

I know it's a good idea just to get a PAR meter, but some of us don't have the funds. I have been trying to see if there is a way to convert lux to par since our phones have pretty good sensors these days. The short answer you can't convert exactly but you can get close enough. It's not a great answer, but for those of us without PAR meters and a smart phone, it's a tool we can use for the moment.

Anyway, I found this website to convert measurement:
http://www.egc.com/useful_info_lighting.php

Anybody have thoughts on this? Keep in mind, I understand it's not a true PAR measurement but possibly an intermediate tool that could be used.
A bit confusing - but - a very good chart -what is PAR for 1 square ft of coverage ?

M

Mepis

@Savage Henry There are a bunch. I have an iPhone currently. There is one called 'Light Meter' that costs $1.99 on the app store. All of them are the same, and one is not more accurate then the other. Apps can call the API for the light meter measurement from the sensor on the phone. All of them are doing nothing more then pulling the value from the sensor and displaying it in real time. It's not a complicated app actually.

I'm about to get super nerdy here; You can read more about it here -> http://iphonedevwiki.net/index.php/AppleISL29003

The same is true for Android phones too. Android has an SDK call for the light sensor too. In fact, with Android I don't think you even need an app. I'm stretching my memory here going back 3-4 years when I used to work on and program stuff for phones, but there's a self test code you can type in the dialer on Android. There is a test for the light meter which does nothing more then read the lux value in real time and displays it on the screen for diag purposes. I think it was something like *#*#test#*#* or something? (Spell out test on the phone number pad).

Pretty much any iPhone or mid-level / flagship Android phone is pretty damn accurate in reading lux values today. Those sensors have gotten super damn accurate and cheap. You would be amazed how delicate and accurate the sensors are in our phones today - to the point they can be used reliable in true scientific studies when you have direct access to the hardware.

Edit: Android test code is *#*#4636#*#*

B

baron717

@Savage Henry There are a bunch. I have an iPhone currently. There is one called 'Light Meter' that costs $1.99 on the app store. All of them are the same, and one is not more accurate then the other. Apps can call the API for the light meter measurement from the sensor on the phone. All of them are doing nothing more then pulling the value from the sensor and displaying it in real time. It's not a complicated app actually.

I'm about to get super nerdy here; You can read more about it here -> http://iphonedevwiki.net/index.php/AppleISL29003

The same is true for Android phones too. Android has an SDK call for the light sensor too. In fact, with Android I don't think you even need an app. I'm stretching my memory here going back 3-4 years when I used to work on and program stuff for phones, but there's a self test code you can type in the dialer on Android. There is a test for the light meter which does nothing more then read the lux value in real time and displays it on the screen for diag purposes. I think it was something like *#*#test#*#* or something? (Spell out test on the phone number pad).

Pretty much any iPhone or mid-level / flagship Android phone is pretty damn accurate in reading lux values today. Those sensors have gotten super damn accurate and cheap. You would be amazed how delicate and accurate the sensors are in our phones today - to the point they can be used reliable in true scientific studies when you have direct access to the hardware.

Edit: Android test code is *#*#4636#*#*

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ok, I just entered those digits on my Android and got a message saying my call could not be completed. I must be doin' it wrong.

Latest posts

Top Bottom