weed types?

• Thread starter trunx
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

trunx

hi newbie here..

been searching on different weed types but am kinda confused. i've noticed that there seems to be different classes...or categories of weed...like og, haze, kush...ummm i think that's all. i understand the differences between indicas and sativas and what autos are just not the other types.

can someone shed light on what each of those mean? og i find especially confusing what i read conflicted from different sources.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hi trunx, I'm confused by it, too. However, the first set of terms you use, OG, Kush, Haze, etc, those are all strain or varietal names. The three major groups or types of cannabis, and I believe they're all separate species, are what folks refer to as "Indicas" (aka Afghani type), which are the Christmas tree types of strains that have a heavy, couchlock body high. Then there are "Sativas" which are generally tropical equatorial plants, known for a very up, heady kind of high, some can lead to paranoia. Then there's the "Ruderalis" which is an autoflowering type.

This is my own basic, general "knowledge," but there are others here, like @geologic who REALLY know their shit on this subject. :D

I have no idea if my post helped, but if nothing else, it's served as good bump.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
there really just names given to strains more less so people can associate a Type of high to that strain, or a specific pheno type.. flavors traits ect they like.. Then they breed it bean it and off to the masses it goes :D

Think of it like Alcohol... Its all alcohol.. but theres beer theres wine theres whiskey tequila blah blah blah.. It all gets ya there just different too :D

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
This is my own basic, general "knowledge," but there are others here, like @geologic who REALLY know their shit on this subject. :D

Ha!!! Here we go again...
...all I've known about for +quarter century is my own inbred plants.

I didn't even really know the difference between indica and sativa 'till here at The Farm last year https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/sport-hunting.56603/page-5#post-1149733 ,
my research during that time was maybe a High Times every year or two picked up at a 7-Eleven--
and I had no contact with other growers or their ganja.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know about the "seperate species" tho;
I'd like to hear more about that,
especially from some of the DNA studies an' such.

I always kinda thought they were subspecies:
Cannabis sativa sativa,
Cannabis sativa indicus;
Cannabis sativa ruderalis--
but I've "kinda thought" a lot of things that needed changin' over the years...

Gandalfalfa

Gandalfalfa

OG is a type of kush, which may be why you are getting confused, trying to separate the two. Kushes are a subset of indicas and hazes are sativas. Beyond that, I think it all becomes opinion and marketing.

A better way to judge a strain is determine how long you want to run it for, how big you want to grow it and there factors such as yield, type of high and so on.

Gandalfalfa

Gandalfalfa

I don't know about the "seperate species" tho;
I'd like to hear more about that,
especially from some of the DNA studies an' such.

I always kinda thought they were subspecies:
Cannabis sativa sativa,
Cannabis sativa indicus;
Cannabis sativa ruderalis--
but I've "kinda thought" a lot of things that needed changin' over the years...

From my limited understanding of the subject, I would say you are right.

Historically, there were generally
three recognized varieties of Cannabis: C. sativa,
C. indica, and C. ruderalis [3]. For many years, botanists
considered each of them to be a distinct species. However,
most botanists now generally agree that Cannabis is a
genus with a single highly variable species (C. sativa) that
has diversified into a wide variety of ecotypes and cultivated
races [3].

From -

Alghanim, H. J., & Almirall, J. R. (2003). Development of microsatellite markers in Cannabis sativa for DNA typing and genetic relatedness analyses. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 376(8), 1225-1233.

Can't find the original source unfortunately..

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
From my limited understanding of the subject, I would say you are right.

From -

Alghanim, H. J., & Almirall, J. R. (2003). Development of microsatellite markers in Cannabis sativa for DNA typing and genetic relatedness analyses. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 376(8), 1225-1233.

Can't find the original source unfortunately..

Wow!!! Thanx for that--

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

hi newbie here..

been searching on different weed types but am kinda confused. i've noticed that there seems to be different classes...or categories of weed...like og, haze, kush...ummm i think that's all. i understand the differences between indicas and sativas and what autos are just not the other types.

can someone shed light on what each of those mean? og i find especially confusing what i read conflicted from different sources.

The kind that gets stoners high even after years of endulgence

Top Bottom