Weee.... Odor Control question! (Scrubber related)

• Thread starter whatsgoodie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

whatsgoodie

Well, I had originally planned to start my grow by 1/14. Sadly, due to legal troubles of sorts >_> I was unable to do this. Now that everything has calmed down and subsided a bit, back to the drawing board.

Where I left off was odor control. I'll have nycdiesel/ak childrens from dr. c.

I'll be growing no more than 4 at a time, I've come down to wanting this guy;

http://foothillfilters.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2118807

for odor control, I can afford it and plan on being as discrete as possible odor wise. This scrubber will be used in a 6x6x8 room. (Overkill almost, but I'd rather have too much than too little in my situation).

I have a couple questions though;

1. Can I replace the carbon in this bad boy when it stops working as good as it should?

2. If 1 is possible, where do I get the carbon?

3. Will this work in an open area, above the little ones?

I.E: I'll be pulling air in from outside, with an exhaust by the little ones, with this mounted on the ceiling in front of the little ones to collect the air and redistribute it.

Thanks for the help~

I hope herrissh still exists, he helped me a couple months ago with my noob questions. (I'll have more too now that I'm back!)

:fighting0087:

hubcap

hubcap

never used that ebay version...

but they SAY on their webapge, its easy to refill.
maybe they sell the carbon too, or can tell you where to get.

i have doubts that a 240cfm fan can effectively scrub a 8x8x12' room like it claims....
well, in an effective and efficient timeframe at least...
it might take some time to effectively scrub a room that large with that lil fan that comes with it...imo...of course.

might be better to be patient and see if anyone here has used this.
i always see em on the bay and i always HEAR of people using them but ive yet to hear a stellar report on em....OR see pics of people that have them in action....

hubcap

hubcap

in the meantime i can recommend a can 33 or a can 66 carbon filter.
a wee bit more money but theyre PROVEN and i can tell you for a fact they last at least FOUR grows with sour diesels and chems. so i know THESE work.

cant say for sure if those ebay jobbers do.

they look the part, thats for sure.
and sound it.

but can they act the part is the big question. me, i dont like to find out, the wrong way, if ya get my drift. better SAFE than SORRY.......imo, anyways. mileage, will, of course vary.

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
I ran a 2 FootHill Filters for well over a year and never needed to change the carbon. These filters are a REAL bargain in my books and yes there is a drain plug (although small) so you can empty and refill with fresh carbon.

jj

hubcap

hubcap

I ran a 2 FootHill Filters for well over a year and never needed to change the carbon. These filters are a REAL bargain in my books and yes there is a drain plug (although small) so you can empty and refill with fresh carbon.

jj

farmer jadins...
where do you source the replacement carbon?
also, is that replacement carbon heat treated, do ya know?

also, thks for droppin in and laying first hand opinions on it......
(any added pics/info might be of use to our fellow farmers here)
my only concern with it is the 240cfm fan on it.
i like to exhange air in my room at least 5 times a min (based on room volume vs cfm rating) so i wouldnt be so sure if that small fan could handle it. (yes, im big believer in air exchange)but i could see it being fine for a smaller space..........

what size room/tent u usuin that set up in?

G

greyfx

damn those things are cheap, anyone else used them before?

W

whatsgoodie

Hmm, seems I've piqued interest in the foothill version which has also brought in a first hand experience, so I'm excited!

Now, this is one of the things that attracted me to the FootHills filters,

"THIS IS A STAND ALONE UNIT. SIMPLY SET IT IN A ROOM, OR SUSPEND IT FROM THE CEILING. PLUG IT IN AND THE ODORS WILL DISAPPEAR."

That's stated on their website, looking at the Can-66 on bghydro for 30 bucks more, this feat that entices me is not listed.

So, is the Can-66 a standalone unit that you can hang above your babies or leave in a room? Does it have a plug attached to it? (Silly question, but as I noted.. I've never used a carbon scrubber before.)

I tried that bootleg Ona and Soil Moist with the 12" fan shit, and I can guarantee it won't work. Just a bag of nyc sitting next to it and it couldn't get it out of the air after one day. So I know I need to invest into something worthwhile.

Where do I get the carbon to refill a Can-Fan? I also see I need to purchase a fan seperately, takes away from the 'stand alone' unit, doesn't it?

So, can someone hold my hand like a little child and show me which filter, fan and what's the purpose of the flange? (Ducting I assume, but just want to double check.)

Also, HUGEEE thanks to those who've participated in the thread and provided feedback. I truly do appreciate it and look forward to being part of such an active and informative community.

+rep hubcap and jadin :ninja

H

hbstoner

Ya that filter looks a bit to small for a room of that size.. those look like they would be great for smaller grow boxes/cabnets. Id stick with the can-fan stuff. No matter what filter you get you can find some way to make it refillable. canfan filters are really high quality and ive never had any smell leak through mine.

hubcap

hubcap

Hmm, seems I've piqued interest in the foothill version which has also brought in a first hand experience, so I'm excited!

Now, this is one of the things that attracted me to the FootHills filters,

"THIS IS A STAND ALONE UNIT. SIMPLY SET IT IN A ROOM, OR SUSPEND IT FROM THE CEILING. PLUG IT IN AND THE ODORS WILL DISAPPEAR."

That's stated on their website, looking at the Can-66 on bghydro for 30 bucks more, this feat that entices me is not listed.

So, is the Can-66 a standalone unit that you can hang above your babies or leave in a room? Does it have a plug attached to it? (Silly question, but as I noted.. I've never used a carbon scrubber before.)

-basically youve got it. the can filters are stand alone (some places actually charge you for the flange attachment, so beware...never pay for it. should be included and tell them that if it isnt, or dont buy it)
anyways, theyre stand alone as you said. one would need air control of some sort, namely can fans, vortex, elicent, etc etc...
-one thing of note...i dont know how much these filters, you speak of, farmer goodie, but these can fans, especially the can 66....they are HEAVY! i had a can 66 drop. wasnt pretty. about 60lbs, bro, so A STIFF STRUCTURE (or really good 'engineering') IS REQUIRED.

now we covered most of the neg points (save cost) i can tell you they are worth every penny. they last longer than they say they do (remove included filter..shake and agitate between 'uses' has been working for me..and we 'stink' you know?)
they are tried and true and would offer an excellent odor control solution.

in short...
the "foothill" version is:
-cheaper
-stand alone
-refillable
-prolly lighter
one would need to use both to compare so.....??

Where do I get the carbon to refill a Can-Fan? I also see I need to purchase a fan seperately, takes away from the 'stand alone' unit, doesn't it?

not refillable. easily anyways, but there ARE DIY tutorials out there on making one of these yourself. its VERY comprehensive and as long as you have access to carbon, its hands down the cheapest approach. ill try and find a link or perhaps its here already??

yes youd need a fan, but, then we come back to the question I originally had about my concerns with its 240cfm rated fan that 'comes with it'
it would work for small rooms, i suppose, but larger ones?
most get the can filter and an inline fan becuase the fan can be used to cool the light,as well as draw air thru the filter..... in essence, killing two birds with one stone.
sure the stand alone is cheaper, initially, but, a can filter (or equiivalent) and an inline fan, imo, is much more versitile, while, a lil more costly, up front....

-yes, purpose of flanges is for ducting. ducting must mast same diameter as fan/flange.

O

Old Yeller

Let me throw in my 2 cents here - As a newbie myself (i hate that word) I built 4 diy (carbon) filter versions when i started growing with everything from dryer sheets to carbon impreg. cloth with medicore results at best. I mean they worked, but the AK47's beat the shite out of them 1/2 way thru flower. My hydro store carried ActiveAir & Carbonaire filters for pretty cheap & i could pick them up & save the shipping costs, so i scrapped the diy stuff & got the real thing.
I've heard of people using Foothill filters with good results & basically any filter with a fan attached to it is a stand alone unit. In my first flower closet i needed the filter to clean & exhaust the air to the outside since i was just running a 400 with a batwing. Got a small ActiveAir 5"x25" & attached a 4" S&P TD-100x to it with great results. That combo cost me about $130 & if i drill out the rivets, i can replace the carbon myself for cheap.
For an 8x8x12' room you'll need a 6" C/F with a 6" inline fan that can pull at least 400+cfm. I've always needed my filters to remove odor & heat at the same time, so i don't know if this applys to your set-up.
In my tent (which is exactly 1/2 the size of your room), i'm using a 4" Carbonaire to a 600W HPS in a SS2 a/c Hood with a 4x8 T5 & a 2x4 T5 (1,100 Watts total) attached to a 6" S&P TD-150 @ 300cfm. This combo is working perfectly to control odors & remove the heat.
There's a guy on Ebay that sells activated carbon in 5 gal buckets for cheap, & you can replace the carbon in any decent filter if you drill out the rivets & pack it tightly. A friend suggested to me putting the empty filter on top of a wood sander to vibrate it while you fill it.
After many mistakes, my advise is to get a separate filter/fan combination for your area & always make the combo bigger than you need for your sq. feet.

hubcap

hubcap

the activaed carbon, OY, i think, reallly has somethin ta do with it...
gotta be "heat activated" imo or it just doesnt have the punch or staying power...
most common mistake people make. if the carbons cheap...it prolly is, pun intended...
some are made for liquid purposes some for air ...etc...
i tihnk alot of people think they are getting sumthin theyre not...

ill try and find a few links to try and illustrate...bear with me.

i hate to do it but i might as well take something useful from the visit.
much love and props t0

RM - aquagrower

for making this link possible for us to read over.
some good info. imo.
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=29402

in essence, this design mimmicks very closely the 'can filter' etc style of carbon filtration.
might be worth it for some to have a looksee

this one showed a glimmer of wit, too.
tks manitu. nice work.
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=62938

heres a link for 40lb replacment carbon.
coconut based, too!
http://www.horticulturesource.com/product_info.php?products_id=1444

R

RansacktheElder

Hey, I think I've found my next big gear purchase. This thing would actually be perfect for my cabinet. Not too mention it'll beat the hell out of odor gel and dryer sheets...Thanks for the info!

O

Old Yeller

This is the Ebay link - haven't bought from this guy yet, but he seems legit...

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
farmer jadins...
where do you source the replacement carbon?
also, is that replacement carbon heat treated, do ya know?

also, thks for droppin in and laying first hand opinions on it......
(any added pics/info might be of use to our fellow farmers here)
my only concern with it is the 240cfm fan on it.
i like to exhange air in my room at least 5 times a min (based on room volume vs cfm rating) so i wouldnt be so sure if that small fan could handle it. (yes, im big believer in air exchange)but i could see it being fine for a smaller space..........

what size room/tent u usuin that set up in?

Here's a shot of the 2 FootHill filters I bought off of Ebay. The largest one is connected to a CanFan Max 6", used to exhaust the grow room during summer months and used as a scrubber during winter. Grow room is 700 cubic feet, 10 x 10 x 7.

The smaller filter is connected to a 4" duct booster fan from home depot. It's placed inside my dryer for negative pressure drying, never a smell comes from my dryer even if it's got a lb in it.

Not sure about replacement carbon as I've never needed to change the original carbon so far but my hydro store carries it so it's not a big deal to find a source.

jj

5 01 08 014
hubcap

hubcap

there ya go folks.
700cf of space and 2 of these lil jobbers and this mans rockin......
aint the prettiest but its all about function.
like what im hearin about em so far....

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
there ya go folks.
700cf of space and 2 of these lil jobbers and this mans rockin......
aint the prettiest but its all about function.
like what im hearin about em so far....

I've pissed away more $ on this grow room than I care to admit but these FootHill filters were a good investment. Here they are installed

jj

Fan
O

Old Yeller

JJ - So did you buy the larger one without a built-in fan? Looks good, man - wish i had that kinda space to grow in!

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
JJ - So did you buy the larger one without a built-in fan? Looks good, man - wish i had that kinda space to grow in!

these filters do not come with fans Old Yeller, first pic shows what they look like out of the box.

Top Bottom