Week 15 flowering Sativa no amber trichome

• Thread starter Mari0s
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mari0s

Mari0s

Hi all,
Here are pics for my first grow at week 15 flowering and there is two things that concern specially as first time grower

* the buds developed massive tailfoxing, is this normal and is it a good or bad thing and why?

* I'm now in week 15 sativa strain (ethiopian landrace) and still can't spot amber trichome?

Would you please share your thoughts and experiences?
IMG 20210108 214109
IMG 20210108 233325
IMG 20210108 214049
IMG 20210108 233411
IMG 20210108 214026
IMG 20210108 233257
IMG 20210108 233344
IMG 20210108 213949
IMG 20210108 233231

IMG 20210108 214202

IMG 20210108 233325

IMG 20210108 233221
Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Yeah thats a real sativa bro no fucking around there. When I first saw the pic I thought "Dam thats a landrace sativa grow" and sure enough when I read your description that is what it was. The foxtailing that you are referring to is totally normal for a landrace. It's not ideal in comparison to the rock hard designer buds we are all used to today but remember that this is the 100% natural way that marijuana grows in the wild. The foxtailing just makes the nugs super big and light and fluffy. Makes trimming and curing a royal pain but it should still be smokable product. The best thing about wild sativas is the high THCV content in them. THCV is a bit different it is the one that is super trippy! It will get your brain racing at a million miles an hour and put you on planet Pluto. Gotta love the sky high screaming cerebral high! Heart pounding like the fist of God ✊🤯

Mari0s

Mari0s

Its a real sativa, trichs probably wont turn until after chop if even then.

That is new info to me, I will probably harvest it in 2 days as I can't wait any longer.

Yeah thats a real sativa bro no fucking around there. When I first saw the pic I thought "Dam thats a landrace sativa grow" and sure enough when I read your description that is what it was. The foxtailing that you are referring to is totally normal for a landrace. It's not ideal in comparison to the rock hard designer buds we are all used to today but remember that this is the 100% natural way that marijuana grows in the wild. The foxtailing just makes the nugs super big and light and fluffy. Makes trimming and curing a royal pain but it should still be smokable product. The best thing about wild sativas is the high THCV content in them. THCV is a bit different it is the one that is super trippy! It will get your brain racing at a million miles an hour and put you on planet Pluto. Gotta love the sky high screaming cerebral high! Heart pounding like the fist of God ✊🤯

That is the best comment I ever get on discussion board, very encouraging and by reading it I really want to smoke it out now haha.
Thank you

Completely normal on all accounts. You might drop your light schedule to 11/13 or 10/14 if you want to see some more "finishing" symptoms. Looks damn good though!

I will try this out, what do you think about 24-48 hours darkness before harvest?

Nice looking flowers. What light schedule did you run it on? Was it 12-12?

Yeah 12/12 for 15 weeks now

tobh

tobh

Supporter
I will try this out, what do you think about 24-48 hours darkness before harvest?
I've tried various periods of darkness before harvest, noticed no benefit or detriment. With a landrace sativa, it might help, but honestly I don't see how two days at the end of a plant's life will make a difference. There are very few instances where there are rapid plant responses, and most of them are due to fundamental environmental variables, light schedule not being one of those.

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

If you grow it again you'll be able to finish it quicker by cutting the light to 11 -13 and then to 10-14. Should finish better/quicker and not foxtail so much.
It's funny I was just about to mention this then read and saw you say the same thing. This is correct with heavy sativa leaning cultivars it is sometimes an advantage to drop the light cycle super low. 11/13 or 10/14. The reason why landrace Sativas need less light is because in nature they all evolved near equatorial zones on planet earth predominantly equatorial Africa and South America. On the equator the light cycle during the year remains the same year round. This phenomenon only happens directly on top on the equator and the further you go either north or south the light cycle gradual shifts. If you were to visit the equator in the middle of summer there would be 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of darkness. Visit in the winter and there would be 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of darkness. This consistency and lack of light change throughout the growing season means that the plants in nature have become accustomed and evolved to continue to flower and finish their lifecycles with no light change. When you run at 12/12 the plants will take their sweet ass time to flower because they are already adapted to flower slowly at that light cycle. It is if they are already accustomed to it so the plants sometimes don't really flower at the quicker pace that we want them to. When you change the darkness to 11/13 and 10/14 it pushes the plant into speeding up its flowering. Indicas on the other hand evolved in the Northern hemisphere where the winters are very dark and the summers have lots more light than dark. This is why Indicas flower faster. When you switch an Indica from 18 to 12 it has a dramatic effect and within days the plant is triggered to quickly start stretching and flowering. Sativas not so much they sometimes need more dark. For those of you who may not already have known this hopefully this info will help you understand why it is like this. It is because of evolution.

Brendanpre

Brendanpre

I have never tried it personally, but I have heard that watering with cold water(+-10°C) for a week or so can fool the plant into thinking winter has arrived and speed up trichrome ripening... Might be worth a shot. Some Sativa's can go 20+ weeks.

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Better yet bro. Towards the end of flower I will open my freezer and scoop out pitchers of Ice from my ice machine. I stack the ice all around the base of the trunk as high as I can pile it without it falling over like Jinga. This way the ice water slowly melts and drips down into the soil given a constant icy cold trickle. I do this sometimes it can help turn your plants purple too.

Brendanpre

Brendanpre

That's quite clever! I need to remember that next time I have a stubborn plant!

Latest posts

Top Bottom