Weird New Growth / Curled edges

• Thread starter Cannanugget
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cannanugget

Cannanugget

Ok here's what's going on... I just transplanted some Platinum Bubba's and some Vortex seedlings. Some went into Roots soil and I ran out of Roots and planted the rest in some Black Gold soil. Here's what's confusing me though, I watered them in with Rhizotonic @ 10ml/gal ph'd to 6.5 and now the ones in Black Gold are doing this weird taco'ish leaf thing.. The edges are curled up on them on the new growth at the top of the plant. However, this is only on the Black Gold plants.

I am going to pick up a BlueLab soil ph tester, because as of now that is the only thing I can come up with is the ph is that much different in the BG vs Roots.

I wish I had my camera here, but won't till tomorrow or the next day.

If anyone has any ideas let me know what you think.

As of right now I'm going to assume it probably is Ph, but can someone confirm that Ph would make the new growth do this weird shit? And if it is the Ph that is messing it up how would you suggest fixing it?

I found a pic on another forum. this is not my plant but it appears to have similar thing going on. Still though what gets me with mine is I know it is not Temp / Humidity related or lights etc... anyhow, check it out and let me know what you think.
weird_leaves.jpg

I

IVIars

Leaf fringes that point up mean the leaf is trying to dissipate as much moisture as possible, but is unable to. This could be caused by toxic salt build up, lack of water, or heat stress.

Cited from Marijuana Horticulture Medical Growers Bible by Jorge Cervantes

Cannanugget

Cannanugget

Ok, well as stated if you read the post - this is not related to heat salt or any other shit... only dirt. that is the only difference.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
i know u said its not heat related and u got only the one's doing it and its in black gold. but to me that pics looks like heat or high humidity. is it the plants directly under the light? are they under 2 differnt light sources? did they perhaps dry out? maybe one soil retains moisture better then the other and your watering the same time?

A

amstercal

Dirt could certainly make a difference in the salt... what salts where there to begin with, maybe one brand holds salts better than another. To me it looks like a moisture issue. Are those ones closer to any equipment? Fans, a/c, co2 burner, anything? If it is just the dirt as you presume, then flushing is always a good idea. What's the humidity? Can you move your hygrometer around so you see if there's a difference around the different plants?

Cannanugget

Cannanugget

Thanks for all the help guys.. The plants effected are not directly under the light, they are also not dry. I have not fed ANYTHING except Rhizotonic, as they were just transplanted. Humidity stays around 50-55% and temp is 80 or so.
I'm thinking right now that I'll definitely give em flush this next watering and see if that helps.

I'll get some pics tomorrow night. The pic above is just kinda what mine looks like - it's not my photo though.

Cannanugget

Cannanugget

E.T. - man, I'm with you. I just ordered my soil ph meter a minute ago. Hopefully in a few days I will know for sure.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
just pour water in the pot and test the run off. soil ph meters are kinda tricky

Cannanugget

Cannanugget

What makes the soil ph meter tricky? I bought the Bluelab digital meter, doesn't seem too tricky to me. I know those cheap ph meter they sell at home depot are shit, but I figured Bluelab makes good stuff for testing water now they have something for testing soil ph. Maybe you can elaborate a bit more for me?
I'll definitely test the run off, but they're still wet so that's not going to be for a few more days. Thanks

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

This same thing is going on with me but I'm in Coco.. I'm trying 2 fix it now.. I gave light mist with a Lil calmag & Roots XL & I'm gunna flush with plain water.. Peep the pic it's the same thinghttp://i1118.invalid.com/albums/k620/MakinGoo/698044d7.jpg

Cannanugget

Cannanugget

very similar bro.. Well, as of now my only plan is to wait a few days till my soil ph meter arrives. Hopefully it won't get any worse. Once the pots dry out a bit I will hook them up with a nice flush.

Cannanugget

Cannanugget

I feel it, but I just put the plants in the soil so ph shouldn't be an issue. My water is fine, my meter is calibrated. not sure what else it could have been.

I decided to say fuck it tonight. I pulled every one of the clones very carefully from the black gold and will plant in Roots tomorrow. I hated doing such a thing to them after just being transplanted, but I figured carefully digging them out was much better than watching them get worse and shittier looking every day by the hour as it has been the past couple days.

For some reason, I'd be willing to bet that within a week I will see big improvement. At the very least I will never again try black gold anything, sucks because I've always heard good about their soil which is what made me decide to try something new - this is what I get for trying something new. lol oh well... ya live ya learn right?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
What makes the soil ph meter tricky? I bought the Bluelab digital meter, doesn't seem too tricky to me. I know those cheap ph meter they sell at home depot are shit, but I figured Bluelab makes good stuff for testing water now they have something for testing soil ph. Maybe you can elaborate a bit more for me?
I'll definitely test the run off, but they're still wet so that's not going to be for a few more days. Thanks
I personally think it's a pH issue, but wouldn't be too concerned about it if the plants are otherwise performing well.

I've never seen heat problems show like that, they go the other way, canoeing downward, sort of like they're protecting the stomata under the leaf.

I detest the run-off test, by the way. Since you invested in a good meter, perform a soil test in the following manner.

Start with water of known parameters, the cleaner the better and the more neutral the pH the better, RO/DI is fantastic. This will be the water you use to make a solution.

Gather a few small samples of soil from the affected plants, mix those samples together, then mix with enough water to make a very loose slurry--you're going to want to be able to separate a good amount of water from the soil here.
Let sit for 5-10 minutes, strain off and test parameters. You can measure EC/TDS/ppm and pH and will gain a more accurate idea of what's actually *in* the soil instead of what you can wash through it.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
i thought u were talking about a soil ph meter from walmart or whatever. its weird lately try to help someone and they get all pissy about it. I'm not trying to say you don't know how to grow or anything and if you got it figured out then why ask the question? the picture you have showing is not a ph issue. every year when the seasons change we see a rush of certain similar problems on these boards, in the winter/fall there's quite a few that are related to cold temps and in the spring/summer there's quite a few related to hot temps. take a picture of you own plants, and put them up. if it is a PH issue i think you would be seeing other signs then what that picture is showing. are you getting a ruffled leave? what soil were they in before they were put into black gold and what did the runoff test at? also now run some water thru the empty black gold pots and see what that ph is.

Cannanugget

Cannanugget

i thought u were talking about a soil ph meter from walmart or whatever. its weird lately try to help someone and they get all pissy about it. I'm not trying to say you don't know how to grow or anything and if you got it figured out then why ask the question? the picture you have showing is not a ph issue. every year when the seasons change we see a rush of certain similar problems on these boards, in the winter/fall there's quite a few that are related to cold temps and in the spring/summer there's quite a few related to hot temps. take a picture of you own plants, and put them up. if it is a PH issue i think you would be seeing other signs then what that picture is showing. are you getting a ruffled leave? what soil were they in before they were put into black gold and what did the runoff test at? also now run some water thru the empty black gold pots and see what that ph is.

KidTwist,

I wasn't getting pissy at all man. I appreciate you taking the time to reply to the post. Not sure why you thought that... I am just saying that I know it is unrelated to temp / humidity. All plants are in the same room under t5's and the BG plants are the only ones doing this. That tells me it is something soil related. I mainly posted here to hopefully have someone confirm this, though I know without my OWN pics it is damn near impossible... Sorry if I came off as rude brother, I always appreciate input from more experienced growers.

Cannanugget

Cannanugget

OK, so I just got finished testing the run off from the sol those plants were in... 5.38 was the run off ph and the water that went in was 6.8.
I'm going to take a guess that the low ph is what caused this to happen??

Cannanugget

Cannanugget

I personally think it's a pH issue, but wouldn't be too concerned about it if the plants are otherwise performing well.

I've never seen heat problems show like that, they go the other way, canoeing downward, sort of like they're protecting the stomata under the leaf.

I detest the run-off test, by the way. Since you invested in a good meter, perform a soil test in the following manner.

Start with water of known parameters, the cleaner the better and the more neutral the pH the better, RO/DI is fantastic. This will be the water you use to make a solution.

Gather a few small samples of soil from the affected plants, mix those samples together, then mix with enough water to make a very loose slurry--you're going to want to be able to separate a good amount of water from the soil here.
Let sit for 5-10 minutes, strain off and test parameters. You can measure EC/TDS/ppm and pH and will gain a more accurate idea of what's actually *in* the soil instead of what you can wash through it.

Seamaiden, Big up. I just did your test. Thanks much for the info.

Top Bottom