Weird shaped leafs, root problems?

• Thread starter TomRado
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TomRado

TomRado

Hi there, new to this forum :)

I have some issues with one of my green gelato autos. Got a refund from rqs already, but thinking of keeping it alive.
Three weeks in, on soil, under at 1000 led.

My guess is that it's a root problem. This very pot has a bit more dark and sense soil than the rest, wasn't mixed evenly when potting.
Now I think it could be too hot a mixture and too much water retention. Watering every 3-4 days when mostly dry to a good inch deep.

What do you think?

Couldn't really find any perfect match of leaf deformation in other threads.

Thanks a lot!

Weird shaped leafs root problems
Homesteader

Homesteader

I would think it was a pH issue and hope that once the roots get a bit more developed they will get back to normal. I don't do autos though, so maybe it is a genetic thing. Do you know the pH of your mix?

TomRado

TomRado

@Homesteader: I will check PH of mix again, with distilled water . I'll be careful to not overwater and dial down the Nutes a bit, maybe it'll solve itself. Watering with 6.5 PH water. The soil is a bit of a weird mix, about 30% coco, some soil, some pumice, I felt it's a good mix but don't know much about canna yet, so maybe next time I'll start with a ready-made mix instead. The coro is without fertilizers, so i felt it shouldnt be too hot in nutrients for a start, as the pumics is equally zero-fert and the bit of humus-soil wouldnt overpower the plant i hope.

@Beachwalker: Didn't ask for a refund, just sent a pic asking what they think it could be, they responded with a refund for the seed .. Anyways I'm almost three weeks in with this plant so i guess I'll keep it going. Was just scared it could be something catchy that could affect the other plants.

TomRado

TomRado

Just checked a soil sample, adding soil to fresh distilled water 1:1 in weight came out at PH 6.6, so should be okish i feel.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

@Homesteader: I will check PH of mix again, with distilled water . I'll be careful to not overwater and dial down the Nutes a bit, maybe it'll solve itself. Watering with 6.5 PH water. The soil is a bit of a weird mix, about 30% coco, some soil, some pumice, I felt it's a good mix but don't know much about canna yet, so maybe next time I'll start with a ready-made mix instead. The coro is without fertilizers, so i felt it shouldnt be too hot in nutrients for a start, as the pumics is equally zero-fert and the bit of humus-soil wouldnt overpower the plant i hope.

@Beachwalker: Didn't ask for a refund, just sent a pic asking what they think it could be, they responded with a refund for the seed .. Anyways I'm almost three weeks in with this plant so i guess I'll keep it going. Was just scared it could be something catchy that could affect the other plants.
Thank you for clarifying. It's nothing catchy, likely a pH issue like Mr Homesteader said, possibly caused by pH fluctuation

Your reading is good, lock your waterings at 6.5 and that plant should grow fine for you, good luck!

TomRado

TomRado

That's reassuring, thank you :)

I did indeed water the few first times with tap water which is at 7.7, maybe that's part of the problem. Was just weird to see those issues only on one plant, not all.

Top Bottom