Weirdest problem i've ever had in Coco

• Thread starter flipflop64
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
flipflop64

flipflop64

So I really tried to figure this out but i just dont get it. I have three plants in my self built growbox and i cant get them to grow properly. Ive been growing for years now and I never had this happen before.

I run a 240W Quantum Board with a couple of deep red LEDs in there. 50/50 Canna Coco/Perlite. Ironhead Formula/GHE Nutrients in RO Water. I add couple of bennies and mykorrizae like i always did and it always worked. 18/6 Lights on/off. 72F at night 77-82F lights on. I feed when the pots are light until they drink enough then I feed 1-2 times a day. 1.2EC, 5.8PH.
I dimmed my light everywhere from 5k to 30k lux + lowered and raised it etc.

These plants just dont want to grow. Sometimes they get really droopy, sometimes they start to yellow slightly. Then they peak back up, then they droop again/dont grow etc. Its really confusing.
I tried it all: flush, raise lights, 24h lights on, raise temps, dim lights, turn lights up, water every day, water as usual ... it's just not working and i need help.

Tallest one is drooping a lot, smallest one shows slight yellowing but no drooping. Middle one shows slight drooping but insanely slow growth. I really want to know wtf is going on here.

Weirdest problem ive ever had in coco 4

Weirdest problem ive ever had in coco
Weirdest problem ive ever had in coco 2
Weirdest problem ive ever had in coco 3
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Because coco is not soil and your grow is probably more efficient this you need to adjust how you feed. Read these and if you have questions feel free to ask

Just understand coco is NOT SOIL.

flipflop64

flipflop64

Thanks for the quick reply but i tried watering every time and even multiple times a day and it did not help and actually made it worse. They also stay droopy after i water.
@Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thanks for the quick reply but i tried watering every time and even multiple times a day and it did not help and actually made it worse. They also stay droopy after i water.
@Aqua Man
What temp water?

How are you venting or replenishing co2?

GreenMtnGuru

GreenMtnGuru

Is your coco new or recycled?

If new, did you rinse and buffer?

Have you tried to increase the volume or frequency of your waterings?

Also, your coco should never get dry. That will eff up your CEC and shock your roots as the medium will become salty and hydrophobic.

Observationist

Observationist

Canna coco is probably buffered

He mentioned he feeds 1-2 times a day but waters when it gets dry, I think more water needs to be flowing through, change in watering events, not water amount.

The plants look a little yellow, but some tips also appear nutrient burned.

They aren’t getting enough nutrients and when they do, they start taking off but then stall out?

I water my coco 5+ times a day, nutrient dose in every waterings along with 34% h2O2 and Epsom salts, every watering, 85F

1.2Ec is what 600-800ppm range? (Truncheon, Hanna, eutech)

Just kinda throwing shit out there

@Aqua Man has way more knowledge here obviously.

Last edited:
flipflop64

flipflop64

Also, your coco should never get dry. That will eff up your CEC and shock your roots as the medium will become salty and hydrophobic.
Sorry for my unclear phrasing. Its not getting dry. Its just getting moist.

As I said, I tried feeding three times a day. Did not help, actually made it worse :( @Observationist
I'll try again but I dont think thats the problem.

I am using new Coco @GreenMtnGuru

flipflop64

flipflop64

Also when I water shouldnt they peak back up if that was the problem? Even if its just for a couple hours until they need another feeding? @Observationist

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Plants dont get to much water… overwatering is a cause not a symptom. Its lack of oxygen and it should not happen in a 50/50 coco mix.

Id be curious of your runoff ph and ppm?

Exactly how and what your mixing?

And i can tell with certainty you cannot just open a window a few times a day. My plants would eat up 2000ppm of co2 in 30 min in a 7x11 room

Observationist

Observationist

Also when I water shouldnt they peak back up if that was the problem? Even if its just for a couple hours until they need another feeding? @Observationist
When they are thirsty, I’ve noticed usually when I do water,

they will droop for a little and that might be something to do with turgor in the plant, hydrolic pressures.

“sucking the water up into its self” so it appears to “droop”

flipflop64

flipflop64

Id be curious of your runoff ph and ppm
Ph runoff between 5.8 and 6. Ec runoff 1200-1400
I get 30L RO Water in my tank and add nutrients in this order:

1. CalMag
2. GHE Micro
3. GHE Bloom
4. Ph down

I then fill my watering can and add the additives (bennies, enymes) so i dont have organic stuff sitting in my tank.
PH in my tank drifts slightly so i always adjust before watering again ofc.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

1. CalMag
2. GHE Micro
3. GHE Bloom
4. Ph down

I then fill my watering can and add the additives (bennies, enymes) so i dont have organic stuff sitting in my tank.
You need to ph stabilize that res.
See here. Side note I believe you ventilation is your issue but up to you if you want to take that advice

flipflop64

flipflop64

And i can tell with certainty you cannot just open a window a few times a day. My plants would eat up 2000ppm of co2 in 30 min in a 7x11 room
I'll try leaving the door completely open from now on even tho my fan can pull air from my entire apartment because the door is broken and doesnt close completely 😂
Thats a thing i havent tried yet tho, thanks a lot

Observationist

Observationist

1. CalMag
2. GHE Micro
3. GHE Bloom
4. Ph down

Well, this is beyond me now, Aqua has a point with the air flow though, otherwise beyond my short-time-trivial experience in growing plants.

(Barely 2full years of it, I think)

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I can assure you that only 5.8 ph nutrient solution is getting to my plants. I always adjust before watering.
It jumps 0.1 PH in about 48h tho.
I would also change your feeding habbits this is under watering… look familiar?

Observationist

Observationist

I would also change your feeding habbits this is under watering… look familiar?

Coco gets demanding, I probably have not had too many issues because I usually go heavy with the feedings and try to push, then I’ll watch the plants responses and adjust.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Coco gets demanding, I probably have not had too many issues because I usually go heavy with the feedings and try to push, then I’ll watch the plants responses and adjust.
Thats was for the OP bro see his drooping petiole in the first pic? And in that pic they also show light stress.

Make sure to give 4-7days to see changes OP they dont happen in a day… with the exception of underwatering as you can see

Top Bottom