Weirdo Brown Preflowers In Veg Wtf

• Thread starter sedate
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sedate

sedate

Hey everybody -

So I've been growing for like 8 years now and I've never ever seen anything like this.

No new plants in my growroom it hasn't been exposed to any foreign plants or anything in over 18 months.

Every other plant in my veg room is completely normal and happy and perfect.

Plants are getting h3ad's formula 900ppm @ 5.9. 24 hour light @ 6000K under a T5 array. I've done hundreds and hundreds of veg plants in the last few years and I've never seen this before in my life.

WTF is this -

Weirdo brown preflowers in veg wtf
Weirdo brown preflowers in veg wtf 2
Weirdo brown preflowers in veg wtf 3

sedate

sedate

Huh. Russet mites. Okay.

I tried scoping them but I guess my magnifier isn't powerful enough it just looks like brownish powder. There is like no movement as far as I can tell.

Also - the plants right next to that one don't seem to be affected. Everything else I have seems completely fine I can't find any other evidence of an infestation. Also - the problem is only along the tops nothing toward the bottom of the plant or anything. Something is up though I threw away a plant that was doing that a month or so ago but I just chalked it up random weirdness.

I'm loaded the fuck up on pesticides.

I'll hit the entire room with insecticidal soap + Neem + Avid + Floramite.

How do russet mites handle imidacloprid?

hiboy

hiboy

Huh. Russet mites. Okay.

I tried scoping them but I guess my magnifier isn't powerful enough it just looks like brownish powder. There is like no movement as far as I can tell.

Also - the plants right next to that one don't seem to be affected. Everything else I have seems completely fine I can't find any other evidence of an infestation. Also - the problem is only along the tops nothing toward the bottom of the plant or anything. Something is up though I threw away a plant that was doing that a month or so ago but I just chalked it up random weirdness.

I'm loaded the fuck up on pesticides.

I'll hit the entire room with insecticidal soap + Neem + Avid + Floramite.

How do russet mites handle imidacloprid?
Just do avid if you have it
To much of all at once wouldn't be good
Hb

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

IMO and from my personal experience once you see that kind of damage it's usually to late. Sulfur works extremely well, I've had luck with Big Time and Avivd usually just slows them down. You need a good scope to see them and you will see them! Good luck man!

sedate

sedate

Just do avid if you have it
To much of all at once wouldn't be good
Hb

So I am trying to ape Sirocco -

http://www.ohp.com/PIB/PDF/sirocco_730_pib.pdf

I have lots of Avid and Floramite on hand.

Here, I was going for a horticultural oil suspension - so Neem + insecticidal soap as an emulsifier.

Why do you think it "wouldn't be good" ??

IMO and from my personal experience once you see that kind of damage it's usually to late. Sulfur works extremely well, I've had luck with Big Time and Avivd usually just slows them down. You need a good scope to see them and you will see them! Good luck man!

Ya I tried to imagine what that damage would look like if they were spider mites.

I trashed that plant and 3 others. Once I looked a little more carefully I could find a least beginning damage on 2 more and a third had brownish dust all over but not on the growth tips like the pic above. Honestly I've never seen an infestation like that where bugs were not everywhere. If they were spider mites I'd be able to find them all over..

Weird. I wonder where I got these buggers..

Everything got a heavy misting of Avid + Floramite for knock-down and Neem + Insecticidal Soap for emulsification.

I don't have anything sulfur-based handy. What products are you thinking of?

sedate

sedate

Common sense
Applying such potent chemicals in a mixture could even be fatal
Avid is like a nuke

Sirocco is a commonly used product for mite control and Russet (Rust) mites are specifically listed.

Did you read my link?

No it won't be fatal to the plants! Hopefully to any residual mites.

I used to to use that mixture all the time for spider mites. If anything the leaves will be all shiny for a couple of days. I get it sounds harsh but I think the plants tolerate the Avid + Floramite better than Pyrethrins + pipernol butoxide.

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

I'd take Spider Mites over Russtes anyday. Yeah I'd stay away from Avivd and the the other harsh chemicals. I'd honestly cut down and start completely clean, if you flower with Mites and spray, you'll be pissed at the super low yield and quality you end up with.

Ignignokt

Ignignokt

She's dead, Jim. Sure, there are technologies and treatments that promise to do -something- however even re-animated, damage is done. And all those treatments spoil the corpse, so don't consume it.
Too far gone for predator mites, I'd say.

A good farmer knows when to plow a crop under.

Prevention is taking leaf samples on occasion and looking with 100-150x power usb scope or something like it for wildlife. I have seen definite strain preference with mites, they will savage sativas, like what I see in your grow, however the same mites infect but will not overwhelm indicas in the same room.

Last edited:
Dragonsflame

Dragonsflame

The Dragon
Supporter

How do u use the sulfur? Like a sulfur burner or wettable sulfur or what?

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

Wettable Sulfur I use 2 Tbs per gallon and never past 4 weeks flower. I use Sulfur burns for PM and that also works well on spider mites.

420Artie

420Artie

I just dealt these evil microscopic bastards a deadly blow, this is what I used...
1. foliar sprayed green clean to knock them down. looked like it knocked out about 75% out.
2. 3 days later foliar sprayed avid at 2 ml gal. scoped 24 hours later could still see a couple walking around.
3. 3 days later forbid at 1 ml a gal scoped 3 days later non walking.

I used a tyvek suite, chemical respirator and latex gloves to spray.

420Artie

420Artie

Im also wondering how I got them this time because I started my mothers from seed.

Top Bottom