Well water testing for hydro??

• Thread starter gettogro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

gettogro

SO I am really sick of waiting for my Ro filter to fill up my 100 gallon res. I have 2 systems that are 100+ gallons each. I even have a comercial merlin and I still feel like Im allways waiting for water. I know I could just get a larger res but I dont really have the room. I live in the CO mountains and our house is on a well and frankly the water is delicious straight from the tap unfiltered. Well ppms are 160 and ph is 7.1. When I moved here the house was on a well so I just assumed that I needed a RO.

I found many online water testing kits. I just dont know what I need to test for and what is good or bad for the plants.

What test should I get?
If I get it tested could someone here help me interpret the results?

I am pretty confident that my straight well will work just fine but I cant risk a crop to experimentation.

Also its summer now does the water quality change with the seasons?

When I fill a glass strait from the tap I notice that it is cloudy for about 10 seconds then it goes clear after it gasses off for a minuet. It doesnt smell like anything. Just tastes great.

Maybe I could just use an inline filter that doesnt use RO membranes that has a much higher flow rate.

I also dont like watching ro runoff just constantly wasting away in my back yard..

Any water experts out there?

Thanks
g

EDIT: I am running 2 large diy undercurrents, so I cant test plants individually.
So its all or nothing. I want to test and be sure before I jump in with both feet...

hiboy

hiboy

Dude i bet that water rocks. straight from mother earth, luckily not in hollywood. water 1 plant individually for a week or two and youll get an idea. Your making me thirsty for some cool crisp silver bullets from the colorado rockies
h

G

gettogro

I ordered this test, Ill post up the results in a couple weeks

The Standard analysis package includes a 32-point analysis of your water sample to provide you with information about its suitability for drinking, domestic use, and irrigation. It helps you determine whether water treatment is needed, and what kind of treatment would be effective. Recommended annually for all private well owners or others contemplating a water treatment system.
(Formerly the "well-test package.")
The package includes tests for:
total bacteria (HPC), coliform bacteria (presence/absence)
pH, conductivity, hardness, total dissolved solids, turbidity, corrosivity index, sodium adsorption ratio
Anions: chloride, fluoride, bromide, nitrate, nitrite, phosphate, sulfate, carbonate and chlorate
Cations: sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, ammonia, and strontium
Trace metals: iron (ferric), iron (ferrous), manganese, copper, zinc, cobalt, nickel and cadmium.
Upon receipt of your order, we send to you a package with sample bottles, instructions, and return labels. You fill the sample bottles and return them to us. After we receive your samples, we send you a report of the test results in about one week. (We cannot usually guarantee exact turnaround times)
Reports are sent by email and a printed copy is mailed to you. The report shows you the concentration of each component and how your water compares to recommended water quality standards. See our web site for help with interpreting the results.
Ships in a re-usable foam cooler with a cold pack. Free Priority Mail shipping.
(Sample return shipping not included)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Nice test. Did you contact your county to see if they have records of your well tests? I just used an aquarium test kit, tested for pH, general and carbonate hardness. Since we don't treat our well water except to filter what comes into the house, I haven't concerned myself with anything else. Since it's so deep I didn't think I had to be concerned with microbial life.

What's the cost and turnaround time for that, and where'd you end up going?

G

gettogro

Nice test. Did you contact your county to see if they have records of your well tests? I just used an aquarium test kit, tested for pH, general and carbonate hardness. Since we don't treat our well water except to filter what comes into the house, I haven't concerned myself with anything else. Since it's so deep I didn't think I had to be concerned with microbial life.

What's the cost and turnaround time for that, and where'd you end up going?

I got the results back. It took about 2 weeks. Cost was $100

Looks like carbonate 140 ppm and sulfate at 33 ppm is the only high ppmS present.

Is carbonate or sulfate harmful to plants?

A trace of bacteria is present, but I have a UV filter i can use to treat the water before It goes in the system. Plus I run zone.

I think I might give it a run with UV treated well-water.

Anyone else have some input on this?

waterreport.jpg
water_report2.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom