Well Water

• Thread starter dorjewright
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
hermit186

hermit186

I will say if it works go for it remember the Cal and Mag in your water can't be used by the plant. If you have a full spread of the micro and low sulfur your good. Also watch your well water take regular readings your drinking and cooking with it and if it changes find out why.

Don Peppy

Don Peppy

I just invested in a tds ppm meter. And it says my well water ppm's is 078 and my ph is pretty high.. around 8.8. Seems like the ppm's are kind of low for well water.. It raises to 098 ppm's with warmer water pulled from the water heater.. Could this be right?

hermit186

hermit186

My well water is 230ppm is why I use RO. I hate to tell people what to do but, if I were you I would have it tested by a water lab it sounds like if you add a carbon filter you would get closer to the best I have ever seen 12ppm
Wish I had your water!:)

hermit186

hermit186

Some simple chemistry all hot water heater have a lot of sediment's in them toward the end of its life a hot water heater will clunk and rattle when getting close to high temp and your water is entering that environment and picking up more sediment's. People who drink good coffee can taste the difference between hot water from tap and coffee that started from cold. I can't but some can.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I just invested in a tds ppm meter. And it says my well water ppm's is 078 and my ph is pretty high.. around 8.8. Seems like the ppm's are kind of low for well water.. It raises to 098 ppm's with warmer water pulled from the water heater.. Could this be right?
Wow, that's pretty nice in terms of the EC, but I'm really curious to know what's causing that high pH. And I agree with hermit re: the higher readings from the water heater, makes sense to me.

ZONER

ZONER

Hey brother Z.. Hows that meter working out for ya. And what kind of ppm's do you get from your well water bro.. Thank. Hope alls good.. DP
104 on my TDS and my PH is at 6.8 right now. Will be taking water to the lab to get checked for everything else, just need to know a full break down of my well water.

ZONER

ZONER

By the way I drain my water heater 3X a year to get rid of that sediment. That's what rusts the bottom of the water heater out..... Also if you don't have a whole house water filter ( which I don't ) also disconnect the hoses from your washing machine because they have a little plastic strainer you can remove to rinse out the sediment that clogs it up.

ZONER

ZONER

104 on my TDS and my PH is at 6.8 right now. Will be taking water to the lab to get checked for everything else, just need to know a full break down of my well water.
Just checked it and today it's 053 ppm

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

I was going to suggest nitric acid as a ph down for heavy carbonate water but with a ppm like that you have very little carbonates in it. I'd double check that meter also.

Don Peppy

Don Peppy

My well water is 230ppm is why I use RO. I hate to tell people what to do but, if I were you I would have it tested by a water lab it sounds like if you add a carbon filter you would get closer to the best I have ever seen 12ppm
Wish I had your water!:)
Thanks brother. Thats what I'm thinking.. Just had a new water heater installed. I'll probably go with a carbon filter for now. 12 ppm's is pretty damn good for a carbon filter.. I'll settle for that! Thanks
Wow, that's pretty nice in terms of the EC, but I'm really curious to know what's causing that high pH. And I agree with hermit re: the higher readings from the water heater, makes sense to me.
Thank you Sea.. Not sure why the high ph either..
Just checked it and today it's 053 ppm
Thank You my brother. Wierd how it changes. Going to get me a filter, then think about a RO system.. Have to keep the ladies happy as can be..

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

I'm on a well, roughly the same parameters you mention. I had to go to RO/DI because the hardness (specifically carbonate hardness) really caused me problems. Yeah yeah yeah, I know. The water's got Mg and Ca in it. But not in plant-available forms, that's the key.

So, try it, but if you have problems I say go directly to your source water first when trying to resolve them, instead of doing what I did and chasing your tail for a few grows. That shit can get expensive.

I know this was an old post. However, making those elements available can be done with magnets.

http://www.dripworks.com/product/Q_MAG
q_mag.jpg

hermit186

hermit186

The magnetic device was first used on submarines and very expensive boilers and I think is snake oil. Something about the mag think keeping crystals from forming, and it makes water flow better. I can't sort a understand the crystals thing but would seem to me it would have to bigger. Making water flow better because it effects the surface tension of water. These are strange time we live in a time of increasing wird stuff my kid has a car that will almost replace my woman. but has same problem keeping its mouth shut , ding ding dong the door is open and the damn thing will park its self mostly. For a hundred bucks I would have to see it magnetically work.

If you have an air pump in your reservoir it will cause the ph to be very effected if your humidity is high it will really effect it more than dry air. What is in the air is filtered out in the water in your reservoir some pumps have a small white filter which isn't much.

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It doesn't work. Plain and simple. It won't prevent the formation of the molecules, it does less for softening water than boiling does. This is right up there with the AquaEcolizer (another snake oil product being sold to reefkeepers back in the day).

organix4207

organix4207

My well water is at 100 ppm and a ph of 7. It does have some sulfur , so I bubble it with air stone for 24 hours and no more sulfur smell.

C

costa

It doesn't work. Plain and simple. It won't prevent the formation of the molecules, it does less for softening water than boiling does. This is right up there with the AquaEcolizer (another snake oil product being sold to reefkeepers back in the day).
I fitted two of them on my main inlet , no difference , waist of money . My tap is 750 - 800 ppm , yes , you read it right , chocking , criminal if you ask me . RO is my friend here in Spain

Latest posts

Top Bottom