Western WA Green House or No?

• Thread starter Onearmedman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Onearmedman

Onearmedman

So, I live on Olympic Peninsula. I have been indoor gardening for a few years and am thinking of doing an outdoor this year.

When would be ideal time to put them out, and should I worry about a greenhouse or no? A friend doesnt use a greenhouse, and only lost about 25-30% last year.. (mold mainly).. Now I'm thinking that may be an acceptable loss versus the cost of building a greenhouse...

Any thoughts? Also, any suggestions on strains that may thrive in our climate?

On a side note.. I visited cloneville in seattle for some og x purple kush, bubba walker and platinum bubba larry. Anyone had these and or think the genes from here are legit/not legit??

Onearmedman

Onearmedman

june first

stay out of the clone stores

fwiw
Ty W.G.

As for clone stores, this was my first foray into one. I usually get starts from friends or contacts. Wasn't sure, just wanted some new blood in my garden.

K

kolah

I'm not in Oregon but I think a GH would work well there ....but to combat the high humidity you'll need good ventilation (fans) and maybe even invest in a dehumidifier. Also get your plants thinned out to create lots of free space for air to move. IMO GH growing is the best way to grow...using the natural sunlight and from a cost stand-point as well.

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

I reckon you would need a greenhouse or at least have some PVC frame set up so you could avoid the rain. Honestly though it's going to be difficult given your climate.

seaslug

seaslug

I'd look at Jordan of the Islands for outdoor seeds here in western WA.

I've only grown (a little) indoors but how about a hoop house? They seem to be popular further south with people that do light deprivation to induce flowering.

Onearmedman

Onearmedman

Well, when I googled Jordan of the Islands, it said that his 'strain' is godbud.. which I already have (very good bud btw), so taking it as the info on google is correct... I'll be in good shape.

As far as the hoop house. Good idea, ty. I'm also looking at building a greenhouse out of 2x2's and clear plastic. Just trying to find the biggest bang for my buck with a low initial cost..

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If you're going to enclose, make SURE you've got the best ventilation or you're going to find out how well water condenses inside a warmer GH. ;)

Onearmedman

Onearmedman

I'm thinking of doing a pvc (carport style w/ peaked roof) frame and just covering the roof, that way lots of air gets in through the sides.

organicpanic

organicpanic

Jordan of the islands has a website that describes most his strains. Been looking at his for awhile just haven't pulled the trigger. 50 bones a pack. Looks like he has some dank genetics. Used to know a greenhouser on the peninsula. With early strains and good ventilation he killed it.

Onearmedman

Onearmedman

If I don't enclose it, and just put a roof on it.. would I still need to be worried about having fans out there? I would think not, but...

K

kolah

Dcp 3880
Dcp 3878
Dcp 3879

But then you are at the sole mercy of only the winds as your only source to move the air. With the high humidity and rains in the NW it could be risky for sure without some other form of ventilation. If you don't have access to power then give it a whirl.....but if you have power at the grow-site definitely power it up with some fans. You could even put them on a timer to save money on electric bills.

I have no power in my GH but here in CO it's arid and we have lots of nice winds.. and I keep my plants manicured to reduce any chances of mold. I don't like any leaf or branch touching any other leaf or branch....and I really open up the center of the plant to get more air circulating....either by pruning/trimming and/or by tying down branches. I also installed a roof vent and a few windows that open on the side plus I made smaller vent openings,(1'x3') at the lower bases of the GH at soil level.

Also, if you have only a roof and no side protection you'll still get blowing rains on those plants. I'd cover the sides with plastic and leave about 2-3 feet open at the bottom. You may want to make it critter proof as well with some hardware meta meshing There's nothing worse than having a stinking bucktoothed chipmunk taking a bite out of every one of your plants main stems.

Last edited:
organicpanic

organicpanic

Also there are plenty of seed makers that claim to have strains that are mold resistant and finish early for the northern climates.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm thinking of doing a pvc (carport style w/ peaked roof) frame and just covering the roof, that way lots of air gets in through the sides.
That's how I'd attack it, and I'd have bug netting on the sides, just to save yourself a couple of other headaches.
If I don't enclose it, and just put a roof on it.. would I still need to be worried about having fans out there? I would think not, but...
You might still want fans, simply because your area gets so much rain and moisture off the Pacific. At least fans on the inside to ensure good air movement. But this is from someone who only knows that it rains a lot in western WA. Is it also windy there? If so, fans are a moot point. If not, then I would try and get a couple of solar cells up so I could run a fan or three.
Jordan of the islands has a website that describes most his strains. Been looking at his for awhile just haven't pulled the trigger. 50 bones a pack. Looks like he has some dank genetics. Used to know a greenhouser on the peninsula. With early strains and good ventilation he killed it.
That's a fair price, especially if they're adapted for that climate.

Onearmedman

Onearmedman

Thanks for the pics Kolah..

I could have ventilation out there, I'm just trying to not call too much attention by passerby's. I live in a wooded area, but right on a rural highway where bicyclists ride during the summer, and the occasional walks by.. I'd like to keep it as low key as possible. The law won't bother me, im just worried about the morons..

seaslug

seaslug

After reading a thread about Jordan Islands at IC I think I'll withdraw the reference. I've got some of their seeds but they have been demoted on my priority list. Nothing really bad, it just seems things aren't like they used to be.

Top Bottom